Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crockerton (Wiltshire) 1944

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2011 10:00

I have always known that my Uncle John died whilst evacuated to Wiltshire (near Longleat) when he was hit by an American Army vehicle. None of my living relatives have any more info than me and several enquiries to News Papers and Museums had not borne fruit nor had internet searches involving his name.

I recently came across

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/745282.wartime_tragedy_revealed_by_childrens_kind_hearts/

and am sure that John is the unnamed evacuee. I have spoken on the 'phone to a member of the Elkins family who is trying to find out more for me.

Question........

Is there anyone on this site with information about this event?

Thanks for reading this.

Phil

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 9 Jul 2011 10:45

Hi there Phil - I honestly think it is highly unlikely that anyone with knowledge of this event will happen on your posting - sad but true!! :-)

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Jul 2011 11:26

Could you post your uncles name please or have i got the right death index ?
Name: John G Watts
Birth Date: abt 1932
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1944
Age at Death: 12
Registration district: Warminster
Inferred County: Wiltshire
Volume: 5a
Page: 139

if so this was registered the same time as John in the newspaper article

Name: John B Sampson
Birth Date: abt 1929
Age at Death: 15

I live in Warminster and may be able to look it up in our local newspaper for you.

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Jul 2011 11:35

Also the other boy
Name: Christopher R N Godfrey
Birth Date: abt 1933
Age at Death: 11

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jul 2011 16:29

Hi Jan,

Yes this is the right John Watts. I had found these 3 sets of details after discovering the article. I am now trying to get in touch with John Sampson's brother, Michael. I believe that there was a fourth child involved who survived but I really want to find out more about the accident and, if possible, who John was staying with. I have previously checked some evacuee records but have since found that my mother's family (believed to be from the Isle of Wight) actually came from Wiltshire several generations ago, so it is possible that he was sent to stay with an 'aunt'. I had spoken to the Wiltshire paper, some years ago, but we never managed to trace anything. The article was written during a long period of inactivity on my part and only came to light through a search using 'ww2 accident Crockerton' as the subject. I have never found anything before using John Watts but perhaps this is my lack of ability! (I should perhaps add that it is only through the article that I discovered where the accident occurred as I only previously knew that it was near to Longleat and I did not have any idea of the date except that it was during the war.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.

Kind regards,

Phil

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Jul 2011 16:36

Phil have copied the email/phone no. if you now want to delete them from your thread. I will try to see if i can look through the Warminster Journal archives next week

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Jul 2011 13:19

Have now looked at Warminster Journal 1944 and can confirm these were the children involved in the accident on 2nd Aug 1944

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Jul 2011 13:32

Pages from the paper are on order and have let Phil know

Flick

Flick Report 11 Jul 2011 13:51

Please Phil, abide by the site rules, and delete your e-mail and phone details.

If you don't, you may find that your thread is referred

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2011 19:33

Hi Flick,

thanks for the advice, did not know that I was in the wrong. Have complied.

Regards,

Phil

Unknown

Unknown Report 14 Jul 2011 19:36

Hi Jansmith,

many thanks for your help and advice in this matter. I did not expect to find out so much so quickly. Am now in contact with you, Mr Elkins, Mr Sampson and have made contact with both schools and hope for replies. I am now trying to arrange some time to visit the area where it all happened.

Kind regards,

Phil

Roger

Roger Report 21 Apr 2012 15:40

Hello Phil,
I have E.Mailed you information.
Roger.

Roger

Roger Report 20 Jun 2012 16:28

Hello Phil,
I sent you a message some time ago about the accident, buy I have had no reply, and it does not appear on the thread, so I will try again.

I have just come across your queries about the accident to your uncle. I remember it well, I was born in 1931 and brought up in Crockerton and still live 2 miles away in Warminster. The accident occured near The Bath Arms, a few yards on towards Longbridge Deverill, the road was widened there shortly afterwards. All of them were at Crockerton school with me, there was a fourth child involved who was not injured, she was a girl who is still alive, and a personal friend of myself and my sister, I don't think I am at liberty to give you her name, but she still lives a couple of hundred yards from the site. I would either been in the choir or blowing the organ for the funeral service. Hope this has been of help.
Roger Kiddle.

jansmith

jansmith Report 20 Jun 2012 20:54

Roger just in case Phil doesn't get back to you soon can i just let you know that i found info in the Warminster Journal and Phil went to Crockerton and met someone who knew the story about the boys.
I hope he does reply to you as i know he was really interested to be in contact with anyone who knew of the accident.

Becky

Becky Report 16 Jul 2022 21:48

Hi Roger

I am just wondering if you ever made contact with Phil?

I am very interested in this incredible story

I live in Warminster

Thanks

Becky

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Jul 2022 22:15

Becky

It’s highly unlikely that Roger will see you post

Click on his name and send a message

If he still has the same email address he signed into genes with he will get the message and can reply

Becky

Becky Report 17 Jul 2022 09:13

Ok thank you Shirley