Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ann manning

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 18 Apr 2012 13:31

trying to find out what happened to ann manning who went to Montreal from Liverpool on ss circassian on 14 sept 1893 aged 14.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Apr 2012 13:41

where was she born please

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Apr 2012 13:57

The passengers on that ship seem to be all children. Home children? But I can't see her on the list of Home Children.

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
about Annie Manning Name: Annie Manning
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1878
Date of Arrival: 25 Sep 1893
Vessel: Circassian
Search Ship Database: View the 'Circassian' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Quebec, Quebec
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England; Londonderry, Ireland
Roll: C-4539

Linda

Linda Report 18 Apr 2012 16:46

Item Display
Return to results | Search | Search HelpSurname: MANNINGGiven Name: AnnieAge: 15Sex: FShip: PeruvianYear of Arrival: 1884Departure Port: LiverpoolDeparture Date: 1884-05-29Arrival Port: QuebecArrival Date: 1884-06-08Destination: Various destinationsComments: Also called at LondonderrySource: Library and Archives CanadaReference: RG 76 C1aMicrofilm: C-4533Type of Record: Passenger ListsGroup of Children Traveling TogetherSuggest a Correction
Social Tagging (About Social Tagging) RSS Feeds from LAC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add to Delicious Add to Digg Add to Diigo Add to facebook Add to Technorati
Date Created: 2006-06-20
Date Modified: 2007-05-22
Top of PageTerms and Conditions

Linda

Linda Report 18 Apr 2012 16:54

Cheryl,
I just posted above for your info didnt want to lose it so now posting where I found info!
I had an ancestor who was sent to Canada as a Home Child I managed to find him going out on a ship (he was sent by Barnados not an orphan) I went to Library and searched passenger lists till I found him if u know he was an orphan or in orphanage phone them I was really lucky and got a copy of the original entry from when my ancestor was placed in the orphanage and a copy of the report of his voyage.
If you go to http://www.bac-lac.gcca/eng/Pages/home.aspx thenclick on home children you will find entry. Looks like the year and ship are different but only one that seems to match.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Apr 2012 17:33

There is a list of Home Children sent to Canada here but she's not on the list. (other than the one that Linda posted but date is wrong)

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

Linda

Linda Report 18 Apr 2012 21:10

Margee,
I did say that date and ship were different but its the only match Cheryl would have to confirm that her info is correct I couldnt find any home children going out on a ship of that name so makes me wonder maybe was placed in care for a while b4 being sent to Canada

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Apr 2012 22:06

The shipping record that Margee posted confirms Cheryl's info. On the original of that record there's a lot of scrawling. All the children appear to be going to Quebec and there are various groups bracketed together with possible destinations.

On the group Annie is bracketed with it looks like "Mrs Ryer Chilon".

Linda

Linda Report 18 Apr 2012 22:06

hi
found your ship on site I posted can view image but is very faint and I dont see Ann/Annie listed
Results
Search | Search HelpSearch Term(s): "circassian" and "1893" and "liverpool"Results: (1-2 of 2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ship Port and Date of Arrival
1. CIRCASSIAN Montreal, Que. - 1893-05-21
Quebec, Que. -
2. CIRCASSIAN Quebec, Que. - 1893-09-25

Results: (1-2 of 2) Visit the virtual exhibition Moving Here, Staying Here. The Canadian Immigrant Experience

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Apr 2012 22:12

By way of background, might this be the same Ann/ie -

1881:

MANNING, Annie Patient Single F 2 1879 None Woolwich Kent

Address: The Infirmary Of The Woolwich Union, Plumstead
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1891:

MANNING, Ann School Girl F 12 1879 Childrens School Duties Lessons Study Woolwich Kent England

Institution: The Convent Of Providence, Rardrams Hampstead Green

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 18 Apr 2012 22:14

Hi Linda - Annie is clearly listed on the Canada arrival image, she's 13th up from the bottom.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Apr 2012 23:08

Hi MarieCeleste,
Just checking in and yes I found Annie and did manage to read the image only after inc image size well done to both you and Margee for finding her

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Apr 2012 23:12

Hi Linda - it's just a shame there doesn't seem to be any record of what happened to her next ...

I'm not 100% sure that the 1881 & 1891 census I posted are the right person (although I think that convent might have had some involvement with children going to Canada).

It would be helpful if Cheryl came back and told us what else she knows - we might have a better chance of tracing Annie if we know the background.

Linda

Linda Report 19 Apr 2012 23:35

Hi MarieCeleste,
Yes I agree we need more info to help further. if my memory serves me correctly there is a page on the canadian site where Cheryl can ask a question (might give her some hints as to where Annie went)
I dont know if the convent would keep records like Barnados did (see my posting re my GG earlier) if Cheryl could contact them they might be able to help.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 20 Apr 2012 00:07

Not that it helps,but I bet this is her:
Home Children (1869-1930)

Surname: T___ING
Sex: F
Ship: Circassian
Year of Arrival: 1893
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 1893-09-14
Arrival Port: Quebec
Arrival Date: 1893-09-25
Party: Maria Rye Homes
Notes: The child's given name and surname were illegible or difficult to decipher
Source: Library and Archives Canada
Reference: RG 76 C1a
Microfilm: C-4539
Type of Record: Passenger Lists

Maureen

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2012 15:39

Well done Maureen! Where I said above that it looked like "Mrs Ryer Chilon" I think it actually says Miss Rye's Children

This link tells a bit about her ventures http://sca.lib.liv.ac.uk/collections/colldescs/mariarye.html

There's loads of info about Maria Rye on Google.

Linda

Linda Report 20 Apr 2012 21:32

MarieCeleste,
just had a look at the link you posted was interesting hope Cheryl checks in soon