Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where does the French ancestry come in?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marilyn

Marilyn Report 11 May 2012 02:12

Hi - John Stephen Geldard was born in 1788 and died of typhus in 1838. He married Rebecca Brown 10th January 1809 St Pancras. I cannot seem to get any further back than this - My father always told me that his family side was French -
Would love any insight anyone can give me

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 May 2012 09:03

Googling the name brings up

THE GELDARD FAMILIES of areas around Gisburne and Ingleton in Yorkshire

http://www.prattens.co.uk/families/GELDARD/notes.html

Under the 'tree tab' of that page, one of the first entries is

Robert Geldard of fforest Gisburne, will 1735 Tosside.
married 1719 by licence Tosside Chapel Gisburne
Margaret de Howden buried 1725? or 1742?.

If you can link your line to this, could the 'De Howden' be the supposed French connection?

jolee

jolee Report 11 May 2012 10:47

For info
Married 10/01/1809 at St Pancras Parish Chapel Camden
Buried 15/12/1838 at St Mary Abbott Church Kensington

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 11 May 2012 11:01

Baptism of one of his children says he was (John Stephen) a gent schoolmaster.

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
about Orlando Arthur Geldard
Name: Orlando Arthur Geldard
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1826
Baptism Date: 18 Jan 1826
Father's Name: John Stephen Geldard
Mother's Name: Rebecca Geldard
Parish or Poor Law Union: Enfield St Andrew
Borough: Enfield
Register Type: Parish Registers

Orlando is French is'nt it?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 11:26

Name: John Geldard
Event: Census
Event Date: 1841
Birthplace:
Record Type: Household
Registration District: London
Sub-district: London, South
Civil Parish: Holy Trinity The Less
County: Middlesex

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 12:21

not French then it seems!!

Last name: Geldard
This interesting surname, long associated with Yorkshire, is of early medieval English origin, and is an occupational name for a tender of oxen and gelded horses. The derivation is from the Middle English "gelde" (ultimately from the Old Norse "gelda", barren, sterile), with the Olde English pre 7th Century "hierde", herdsman, tender. A quotation from Whitaker's, "History and Antiquities of Craven" (Yorkshire), dated 1317, reads, "Item - pro geldherds, pro tripherds" to which the editor adds, "Geldherds are elsewhere called 'pastores sterilium animalium'". Job-descriptive surnames, such as this, originally denoted the actual occupation of the namebearer, and later became hereditary. One Petrus Geldhird and a Ricardus Geldhyrd were noted in the 1379 Poll Tax Returns Records of Yorkshire, and in 1494, John Gelderd appears in the Register of the Guild of the Corpus Christi in the City of York. In the modern idiom the name is variously spelt: Geldard, Geldart, Gelderd, Geldert and Gelder. On July 29th 1588, Anthony Geldard, an infant, was christened at St. Martin's, Coney Street, Yorkshire, and in 1641, Anne Geldard, of Ulverston, was noted in Lancashire Wills Records held at Richmond. The Coat of Arms most associated with the name is a green shield with a lion rampant reguardant and ducally crowned gold, between three arrows of the last. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of William le Geldehyrde, which was dated 1284, in the "Court Rolls of the Manor of Wakefield", Yorkshire, during the reign of King Edward 1, known as "The Hammer of the Scots", 1272 - 1307. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the original spelling.

Read more: http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Geldard#ixzz1uYjAATqZ

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 12:22

1. John GELDARD was born about 1740.

He was married to Hannah MANN on 18 Jan 1762 in Leeds St Peter.
IGI Record
Hannah MANN was born about 1740.

John GELDARD and Hannah MANN had the following children:
2 i. John GELDARD
IGI Record
JOHN GELDERD
Birth:10 JUN 1766
Christening:13 JUL 1766
Queen Street ,Whitehall Independent, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Parents:Father:JOHN GELDERD
3 ii. Sarah GELDARD
IGI Record
SARAH GELDARD
Birth:04 OCT 1767
Christening: 04 NOV 1767
Queen Street, Whitehall Independent, Leeds, Yorkshire, England
Parents:Father:JOHN GELDARD Mother: HANNAH
4 iii. Mary GELDARD
IGI Record
MARY GELDERD
Birth: 02 NOV 1769
Christening:03 DEC 1769
Parents:Father:JOHN GELDERD
5 iv. George GELDARD
IGI Record
George GELDERD
Birth 8 Jun 1772
Chistening 5 Jul 1772
Queen Street/Whitehall Independent Chapel, Leeds.
Parents:Father JOHN GELDARD Mother HANNAH
+6 v. Francis GELDARD.
7 vi. Benjamin GELDARD
IGI Records
BENJN. GELDERD
Birth: 14 JUL 1778
Christening: 09 AUG 1778
Parents:Father: JOHN GELDERD
He was buried on 21 Feb 1787 in Holbeck, Leeds.
8 vii. Hannah GELDARD
IGI Record
HANNAH GELDERD
Birth:27 APR 1780
Christening:21 MAY 1780
Parents:Father: JNO. GELDERD

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 12:24

273 Rue Solferino
Lille, France
Feb 19, 1883
My dear cousin James (GELDARD),
It was indeed an agreeable surprise and a great pleasure to receive a letter from you after such a long silence. Though I have sometimes seen one of your letters to your father which he has sent me to read and I was always glad to learn that you were doing so well and making headway after so many struggles and trials at your start in life - it is now 38 years since I left Leeds. I was 5 years in Belfast in Ireland, I was then 3 years in Lancashire and now near 27 years in France, but I am far from being a Frenchman. I still keep to my old English nationality. I came to France to manage a Machine Making Establishment, which I did, and in 1861 me and another Englishman began a small Establishment of our own, and we have no reason to regret - we have done pretty well upon the whole though I, like you, had a large family to bring up. We have four boys and four girls, and I have only 1 girl married and she has done well for her husband is a Lace manufacturer and they have made me into a grandfather. None of the others seem to get off as they do not care to marry Frenchmen and there is not much chance here, Englishmen being so few and ours want to begin life as we are leaving after a life of toil and labour.
We were in Leeds last June and saw your father, he looks very well for his age, but having partly lost the use of his right arm is a source of trouble to him, but Messrs Lawsons have pensioned him off, so that he wants for nothing - your sister Ann is always a source of anxiety to him. I am very glad indeed to learn that you and your family are all in good health, so you have 2 girls married and you are also a grandfather. We are glad to hear they are doing well, they get good wages and provisions must be very cheap - we pay here above 1/- lb for meat and some joints 1/2d per lb so you see it is very dear here, could you not send us a few pounds over here. I wish we had it as cheap as you for my butcher's bill often seems to be above £5 per month. We are glad it is such a fine healthy country and we wish you every prosperity. I often think of the days of our boyhood, the many happy hours we spent together, we did not think then we should be so far separated from one another. Miss Ann Leak married a George Newton, one of her father's coach drivers, her parents were greatly against the marriage but they married secretly before her parents knew, but he was a sad drunken fellow, she had two children, one boy and one girl, the girl is now married and has two children. When Mr Leak retired from business he was so disgusted with Newton that he sold the Coach Trade to another man but Ann was determined to try for themselves so took a place and got two or three cabs and have done pretty well. Her husband Newton got killed in a drunken dispute about a cab fare so she was left a widow some years ago. She is now doing well I believe, with her son who is 22 years old now and she has their same establishment as her father, Mr Leak, built in Great George St. I always see her when we go to Leeds.
I lost my wife in 1862 and was left with the seven children, the youngest 3 months old, so you see I was not without my troubles in a strange land - I was married again to an English woman in 1864 - a Leeds woman too and I am glad to say we are happy and comfortable together and she made a good mother to my children and we have had one boy since our marriage, Albert, who is now in London at school about or near 16 years old, three of the boys are away so we have one boy at home 34 years old, 3 girls at home, Catherine 36, Florence 32, Helen 22. Helen plays the organ at our English Church here and they are all very well in health.
I shall soon be 62 years old, and suffer a deal with the rheumatics and am getting as stiff as an old horse. I have got quite stout these last 10 years, it takes a good deal of cloth to make me a suit of clothes. When Mr Leak died he left some property of which Mrs Newton (Ann Leak) gets £60 per yr, my children get £60 per yr, and a grandson George Leak gets £60 per yr. Mr Leak died in Harrogate where he built some houses. Mrs Leak died in less than 2 years after him.
I think you will understand all this but it will be difficult after you have been such a long time away - my brother Francis Geldart married 28 years ago and is living in Wakefield so it is not the one you have out in Auckland and we don't know who he can be. It often seems strange that we should spell our names different, of course we are all baptised so and cannot change it now, but it is strange.
We like France pretty well and we all speak the language pretty well and the children speak like natives. So you had an uncle died in Paris. It was a shame he did not leave you some of the Three Thousand francs. I do not know anything about the affair, I wish I did, so I could send you your share. We employ about 40 men at our works, and we are the French agents for Messrs Latours of Leeds. we have had bad trade for the last 3 yrs. We did well when we commenced but only mod, now.
Mrs G. and all our dear children write with me in the kindest love to you all and Believe me to Remain,
Your affectionate Cousin JOHN GELDART

John GELDARD born 1740 and connecting Families
To begin your Journey please click on the 'Surname List' or 'Index of Names' in the Table of Contents, or you may begin by clicking on Descendants of John Geldard.
www.chrissie.homecall.co.uk/index.htm - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 12:26

so the above could be the French link you are looking for

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:13

James GELDARD Born on 7 Jun 1822 in Leeds, Yorks.
Upon joining Military in 1844 in Leeds, he was described as 5' 10" tall, Complexion was Fair, Eyes were Hazel in colour, Hair was Brown, he had no distinctive marks.(Documents number WO97/755 from National Archives).
James Geldard, Private, No. 2375. Military History.
I have a certificate on file which shows that James was attested at Leeds for the 6th Regiment of Foot on the 10th Dec. 1842, at the age of 20 years, 7 month. That he served in the Army for One year and 125 days. He was discharged in consequence of paying the regulated sum of £20. W. Potington, Major Commanding Officer of the 6th Foot, wrote on James' military document a reference to his character ' Is very good'. The Soldiers character was only inserted when recommendatory; if the general conduct of a Solider, whilst in the Service, had been such as to give him no claim to have any thing said in his favour, the space for Character on the certificate was to be cut off following the confirmation of his Discharge, thereby leaving no opportunity for any addition to be made after the Certificate is given to the Soldier. When a Soldier was discharged on account of disgraceful conduct, that would have appeared in the body of the Certificate.
The Certificate is dated 8th April, 1844, Chester Castle. He was finally discharged from the 6th Regiment of Foot on 12th April, 1844, at Horse Guards, London.
On 7th May 1844, James rejoined the Army. Documentation on File.
The certificate states, ' I hereby certify that the above named enlisted at Leeds on the 7th May 1844 by Sergeant Major Jno. Carraher and that he was inspected by me, and I consider him in every respect fit for her Majesty's Service, and that I have examined this Attestation and find it properly filled up. Signed J.O. Burrinton, District Adjutant. James was immediately approved at Leeds on the 9th May 1844, by Lt. Colonel B.Leroy.
When he was attested for the 62nd Regiment of Foot, at Leeds on the 9th May, 1844 at the age of 21 years 3 months., He was described as being 5' 10" tall, Complexion was Fair, Eyes were Hazel in colour, Hair was Brown, he had no distinctive marks. His trade was that of a Furrier. Ralph Markland, Esq., was one of her Majesty's Justice of the Peace of the Leeds Borough who certified James Geldard was attested. James was given a bounty of 2s 6d. This was in addition to the bounty of £3.16s 6d, he had received from Sergeant Major Saul MacCanoham when he was enlisted at 12.30pm on the 7th May, 1844.

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:13

He answered the questions on the official forms as follows:-
When asked if he was an apprentice he answered ' no he was not', was he married, 'no he was not', did he belong to the Militia, ' no he did not', with an addition to say he had been in the 6th Regiment of Foot for a period of 16 months, and showed his certificate to prove he had paid the £20 for his discharge. (copy on file). He was then asked, have you ever been rejected as unfit for H M Services, or for the services of the East India Company, he replied, ' I have not'.
At 11am on the 9th May 1844, James signed his attestation papers. It states on the paper, ' The recruit cannot be attested sooner than 24 hours nor later than 4 days, after his enlistment, and every recruit must be attested by a Magistrate residing at, or within the vicinity of, the place of enlistment. The Magistrate was directed, in putting the question about being a member of the Militia to the Recruit as follows;-
Before the Recruit answers the question he was told, "if he belongs to the Militia and denies the fact, he was liable to 6 months imprisonment. If he had been in military service before, he had to state the particulars of that service and cause of discharge and to product the Certificate of such discharge if he had it with him".
When James had his medical before being accepted into the 62nd regiment of Foot, the Surgeon stated James had no 'D' stamped on him as a sign of being a deserter. Mr. Clark the Staff Sergeant confirmed by James Tonnere, stated James was classed as very healthy.
James eventually joined the 62nd Regiment of Foot at Chatham on the 23rd May, 1844, and was finally approved for the regiment on the 24th May, 1844, he joined the 62nd only a few weeks after leaving the 6th Regiment of Foot.
James then served 2 years 10 months in the East Indies. He was in the Battle of Ferozeshah View Photo OR read his Logbook including photographs.
James was badly wounded on the 21st Dec, 1845, he received the wound from a musket ball which penetrated his left side groin, causing a divide of the ligaments and muscles within his left side. The Surgeon at the Chelsea hospital barracks was P.Wood of the 62nd Regiment of Foot, who examined him at the time. He had his medical on the 27th May, 1847. The report states that James was unfit for further service and his General Commander in Chief, signed James out at Horse Guards on the 7th November, 1847, 6 months after his medical had taken place.

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:14

Remarks about his conduct were as follows:-
'His conduct has been that of a good and efficient Soldier, seldom in conflict and trustworthy and Sober'.
His total service with the 62nd Regiment of Foot was from the date of his Attestation 9th May, 1844 to 21st October, 1847. Sergeant Major Mathias, agreed to his final discharge after adding further service from 1st November 1847 to 9th November 1847 making a total of 3 years and 185 days service with the 62nd Regiment of Foot.
On his discharge papers James was described as being 25 years of age, 5' 10" High, his hair was now described as Fair, (probably bleached by the sun), his eyes were still Hazel, and complexion Fair. His trade was a Furrier.
Between 30th August 1887 and 1st March 1887, additional forms attached to the documents on file show the following:-
I.5650 Inc. Exam forms to Colonel, Treasurers Office in Wellington, New Zealand and a memo to the man in Drury, Auckland, New Zealand.
I.10213, To be recommended to Treasury, through the War Office for a special increase to 18d under article 1045, Pay warrant.
I.B. 1/3/87/2 and A17 War Office with Dis. Documents and papers 3 I po5B, 2.3.87
I.11023 War Office in reply conveying Treasury sanction A5 to man 31.3.87.
A41 A44 and statement to War Office 6.4.87.
The document is stamped Royal Hospital Chelsea. 29/3/87, Secretary's Office.
A further document with the records is also stamped by the Royal Hospital Chelsea. dated 14.11.87 to:-
The Treasury, Wellington, New Zealand, dated 7th Oct. 1887. Re:- James Geldard, 62nd Foot a 1/6 adm. 9th Nov. 1847, The letter has registered number S87/751 and states.
' Sir, I have the honor, by direction of the Colonial Treasurer, to return herewith as requested, the old Pension Certificate of the Pensioner described in the Margin (James Geldard), I have the honor to be Sir, Your Obedient Servant, James Cravin?, Secretary to the Treasury. The certificate was to prove that James late of the 62nd Foot was admitted as an Out-pensioner of H.M. Royal Hospital at Chelsea on the 7th November, 1847 and receives a pension of 8d per xm. He intends to reside at Leeds.'

Because of the certificate being included with the documents, I became curious to know why the certificate had been sent to New Zealand. On a further search for other documents it became clear that James had joined the "Royal New Zealand Fencibles", after leaving the 62nd Regiment of Foot. He was following in his father's footsteps, who after serving with the 55th Regiment of Foot, where he had reached the rank of Sergeant, a non-commissioned officer, and served his country at the Cape of Good Hope, he then signed up in the "Royal Veterans Co. of Newfoundland, Canada." Which was another military group of retired army men from the Royal Hospital Chelsea. The Royal Vets. Co. in Newfoundland, Canada were not as successful as the The Royal New Zealand Fencibles, the conditions were very harsh in Newfoundland, and James' father returned to England.

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:14

James married Jane RUSSELL. daughter of William RUSSELL and Elizabeth DOUTON on 19 Mar 1849 in St Peter's Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist, Leeds. Marriage certificate No. 120, St Peter's Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Connexion, Leeds. 19th March, 1849, James Geldard, 26, Bachelor, Furrier, Accommodation Road, Leeds. Father John Geldard, Flax dresser. To, Jane Russell, 23, Spinster, Domestic Servant, of York Road, Leeds. Father William Russell, Sugar Broker. Married by Samuel Walker, Minister of Wesleyan Chapel, in presence of Thomas Hay, registrar. Witnesses William Blanshard and Sarah Russell. All signed their names. Notes William Blanshard was married to Jane's sister Elizabeth
GRO Index, marriages, Sept 1842, Strand, Vol 1 Page 365. Marriage certificate number 250. Married in the Parish Church, St.Mary Le Stand, Middlesex. on 29th August, 1842. William Blanshard, aged 24 years, Bachelor, Grocer, of 72 High Street, Borough, Father Michael Blanshard, Farmer. Elizabeth Russell, 26, Spinster, of 72 High Street, Borough, Father, William Russell, Sugar Broker. Married after Banns, by John Frederick Deaham.M.A. Rector. Witnesses, Lucy Russell and Sarah Russell. All signed their names.
(Click here to see photo of James and Jane in later life)
After his marriage, James and his new wife Jane travelled to London, where they boarded the ship 'Oriental Queen', which set sail for Auckland, New Zealand, with 71 pensioners, 62 women and 108 children on board.
Extracted from James Diary - James & Jane Geldard's Journey on the 'Oriental Queen'
We left Leeds on the 1st May, 1849 for London, from hence to Tilbury Fort. Embarked on board of the 'Oriental Queen' on the 14th May for Auckland, New Zealand. We had very contrary winds in the channel, we did not get clear until the 22nd. We then had a good wind, we came in sight of the Peak of Teniriff 13th of June. Light Winds near the line, we then got into Trade Winds and went on steadily.
27th June, a Gale of wind, we had a woman died here.
13th July, a Gale of wind, a woman died here.
30th - 31st July, Gale of wind.
1st August, a man died.
9th August, Gale of wind.
10th August, Sighted the Island of St Pauls.
The weather continuing fine, until we came to Bass Straits, the wind came right ahead, so we lay off for two days. We then head for the South West Cape, we had a head wind, so we now forced to lay to, but next day we rounded the South East Cape, and had fair wind to the North Cape. We then had another stoppage but then we had a good slant of wind and passed the Bay of Islands. We came in sight of the Entrance to the Harbour, but we had to put out to sea and lay without a stitch of canvass on her. Next day the winds lower and we made right into the bay before Auckland. We came to and anchored, next day we took a pilot and dropped anchor before Auckland. It looks very small place at first, nothing very stunning to look at, but we are glad to come to our destination. We remained a fortnight before we landed, we all had to go to a large barn, all in a lump. Signed James Geldard.
They arrived on the 18th September, 1849 and the family settled in the village on Onehunga, New Zealand.
James had once again signed up for military service, although this time not for active duty, but as a protection force for the new settlers in New Zealand. These pensioners were known as 'The Royal New Zealand Fencibles'. During 1845 -1846 there had been some unrest between the Maories and the settlers in North Auckland. This led to Governor Fitzroy and later Governor Grey to request troops from the Colonial Office in England. After a lot of debate, it was agreed that a group of retired soldiers was to be recruited and sent to New Zealand.
This group of pensioners were recruited for enlistment by the following enticements, which were posted in every camp in the British Isles where pensioners were stationed.

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:15

A. The recruited men had to be of good character and industrious habits, under the age of 48 years and with a minimum of 15 years service. (James had not served 15 years, but was still accepted as a Fencible).
B. Physically, they had to be over 5' 5" tall of robust frame and medically fit, as required by military duties.
C. They were to receive 1s 3d per day in addition to their pension.
D. They received free passage to New Zealand for themselves, their wives and families.
E. On dis-embarkment in New Zealand, they would receive an advance of three months pension together with an additional one month's pension for each child.
F. They were to receive a cottage of two rooms, with one acre of land. They had to keep their own cottages in a state of good repair, with their own resources. After serving 7 years with the Fencibles the cottage and allotment of land became the absolute property of the pensioners, with certain conditions, and after 7 years there would be no further military duty required of them.
G. The Pensioners had to attend military exercises on 12 days in each year, and every Sunday they had to attend muster under arms at the Church Parade.
These were the incentives which made James decide that New Zealand was for him and his new wife Jane.
James was part of the 8th detachment of Royal New Zealand Fencibles under the Command of Captain Theodore Minet Haultain of the 39th Regiment.
According to Newspaper reports and E.Mellon letter, (on file), the Oriental Queen left from Gravesend on the morning of the 17th May, 1849. The Oriental Queen was towed by steam tug boat from London to Gravesend, from whence she set sail for New Zealand.
In 1853 James was elected to the Provincial Council he would have been elected as one of the representatives for the electorate called Pensioner Settlements. James was well educated, he could read and write, as could his siblings and his father.

News:The year James died was the 50th Jubilee anniversary of Queen Victoria on the throne of England.
He died on 29 Jun 1887 in Drury, New Zealand. James aged 65 years, was a patient of the Auckland Hospital from 31st January, 1887 to 28th April, suffering from the effects of an old gunshot wound. Death certificate on file:-No.25.
When and where died, 29th June, 1887, Drury, New Zealand.
Name and surname. Rank, Profession, Occupation: James Geldard, Pensioner.
Age and Sex, 65 years, Male.
Cause of death, duration of illness, Medical attendant, when he last saw deceased.
Exhaustion from an old bullett wound. 1 year, E.D.MacKellar, Physician. 1st October,1886.
Name and surname of Father:- John Geldard.
Name and, if known Maiden surname of mother:- Mary, Maiden name unknown.
Rank, Profession of father:- Soldier.
When and where buried:- 1st July, 1887, Drury Cemetery.
Name and religion of minister, or name of witness of burial:- Rev. O.R. Hewlett. Anglican Minister.
Where Born, Leeds.
How long in New Zealand. 38 Years.
Where married:- Leeds, England.
At what age married, 26 years.
To whom married, Jane Russell.
If issue living, state number, Age and Sex:- 2 Males, 38 and 37 years. 5 Females,18, 22, 25, 28 and 32 years.
Signature of informant. John Geldard, Son, of Drury.
Signature of the registrar and dated. William Shampham?, registrar, 26 July,1887.
James was buried in Jul 1887 in St Johns Anglican Cemetery.Drury, New Zealand. From the Drury St Johns Anglican Cemetery. which is opposite the Drury Post Office in the Franklin County, 1862-1870 transcribed in 1977 (from microfiche no 43.)
GELGARD, Row 1 no 1, (begins directly behind the church).James/Jane Grave
James husband of Jane GELDARD died 29 June 1887, age 65, also Jane wife of above died 18 May 1910 age 85 also Russell, son of above died 31 Aug 1877.
Aunts and Uncles in 1893 in France. The cousin of James, John Geldart wrote a letter from France to James in New Zealand, it states that James had a Uncle who died in Paris, leaving 3000 francs, of which James got nothing. Click here to see letter from France

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:15

Jane RUSSELL. Born on 1 Jul 1825 in London, Mdx. She died on 18 May 1910 in Drury, New Zealand. Death in the District of Auckland. Certificate No. 516. 18th May, 1910, at Khyber Pass Road, Auckland. Jane Geldard, Widow, 85 years, of Senile Decay, Vomiting one week, last seen by Medical Attendent, B (D?) Tindsey?, (Lindsey) 16th May, 1910
Fathers Name, ....Russell, Merchant.
She was born in London, Where married Leeds, England. To whom married, James Geldard. If Issue living state number, age and sex. As follows:-
2 Males, one 60 years, one 53 years, 5 Females:- 51 years, 49 years, 47 years, 45 years,36 years.
She was Buried 20th May 1910 at Drury., Rev. W.R. Wood, Angilcan.

James GELDARD and Jane RUSSELL had the following children:
i. John Henry GELDARD.
ii. James Russell GELDARD was born on 4th Mar 1852 in Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand. Birth in District of Auckland.New Zealand. Folio No 1852/113. Certificate No. 1113.On 4th March, 1852, James Russell Geldard, Male, Father James Geldard, Mother Jane Geldard, formerly Russell. Profession of father, Pensioner, James Geldard, father, Onehunga, informant of birth on 12th March, 1852. Deputy.Registrar, Robert Kelly.
James Russell died on 31 Aug 1877 in Auckland, New Zealand. Death District of Drury, New Zealand. Folio 1877/792
Certificate No. 18, On 31st August, 1877, Place of Death, looks like Hunua, James Russell Geldherd, Bushman, Male 25 years of age, Accidentally killed by the fall of a Jotara? Tree. Father James Geldherd, Mother Jane Geldherd, formerly Russell., Occupation of father Bushman. Buried 2nd September, 1877 at Drury. Rev. B.R. Biggs, Church of England. James Russell Geldherd born Onehunga, lived in New Zealand for 25 years. Unmarried. No Issue, Informant, Thomas Jackson, Coronor Rayer Bart? Registrar H Del Martelli, 4th September, 1877
He was buried at St Johns Anglican Cemetery.Drury, New Zealand, on 2nd September, 1877 at Drury by Rev. B.R. Biggs, Church of England. with his parents.
Memoriam Drury, New Zealand. James Russell, died on 30th August, 1877, by the fall of a tree about ten miles from Drury. Greatly lamented by all who knew him (aged 25 years). 27/8/77

continued

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 May 2012 13:16

all the above from this site where there are photographs and much more information

James GELDARD - Jane RUSSELL Family Page
Name and surname. Rank, Profession, Occupation: James Geldard, Pensioner. Age and Sex, 65 years, Male. Cause of death, duration of illness, Medical attendant, when he ...
www.chrissie.homecall.co.uk/d4116.htm - Cached

Linda

Linda Report 21 Sep 2014 01:16

Caroline Elizabeth Geldard, daughter of John Stephen Geldard, married Frederick Oswin 8 September 1849 at Holy Trinity, Brompton. She died 31 October 1885. I have just transcribed a letter from Frederick Oswin's mother Anna Frances Oswin to his son Freddy (Frederick John Oswin 1851-1888) in 1868, where she adds a PS to say that she was sorry to hear that his Uncle Orlando had died. I knew there wasn't an Orlando Oswin, so Googled Orland Geldard and found this thread!

Anna was writing from Wisconsin as she and her husband had emigrated in 1855 and were farming near Madison. The family of Frederick Oswin and Caroline Geldard were living at 22 Upper Berkeley Street, Portman Square, London. They had four children altogether, Frederick John, twins George and Caroline (born 16 April 1853) and Jane, born and died in 1856. George's youngest son was called Horace Geldard Oswin, and his son Charles owns the letter I have been transcribing.

jax

jax Report 21 Sep 2014 02:31

Linda

I don't know if you noticed but this was posted 2 years ago and Marilyn never returned, so unlikely to now.

Send her a private message if her email address is still the same she maybe notified.... That's if genes email notification is working

Linda

Linda Report 14 Nov 2014 15:51

Thanks - will do. Email notification is working because I had one this morning!