Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Simpson Lawrence 1860

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jun 2012 03:07

Could anyone help find who her parents were please. I think her date of birth was 4th March 1860 in Scotland. She married in Nez Zealand on 25th September 1885 to David Todd dob 1854 from Fifeshire, his parents were John and Janet but I don't know any more about him either and would like to.
I am pretty sure Annie sisters were Christina Watt Lawrence and Robina Magdalene Lawrence. She may have also had a brother John Binny Lawrence or George Lawrence. Thanks
Margaret Hunt
New Zealand

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2012 03:43

tree on ancestry gives these parents

JOHN BIRNIE LAWRENCE
1818 – 1894
ANN SIMPSON
1838 – 1921

children

ANN(IE) LAURENCE SIMPSON (LAWRENCE)
1859 –
JOHN SIMPSON LAWRENCE
1863 – 1933
ALEXANDER REID LAWRENCE
1866 – 1936
GEORGE BIRNIE LAWRENCE
1869 – 1894
RUBINA MAGDALENA LAWRENCE
1870 – 1916
MARGARET ISABELLA MILNE LAWRENCE
1873 – 1951
CHRISTIAN (CHRISTINA) WATT LAWRENCE
1876 – 1953
WILLIAM SIMPSON LAWRENCE
1879 – 1957

It also says the parents married

Marriage to ANN SIMPSON 12 oct 1861
Registry Office, Dunedin, N.Z.

This is all it says for David's parents

JOHN TODD
JANE PIGGOT

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jun 2012 04:03

Thank you very much, much appreciated. :-)

Margaret

Margaret Report 8 Jun 2012 04:32

Would the tree happen to have if their husbands were brothers? It seems rather a coincidence if they were not realted in some way.
Christina Watt Lawrence married to George Anderston Bruce
Robina Magdalene Lawrence married to James Bruce
Margaret Isabella Lawrence married to William Bruce

I also have a John Birney Lawrence married to Elizabeth Morton Pryde with a daughter Annie Emma Lawrence born 1903 but can't fit him into the family that you have given unless he is John Simpson Lawrence which is what I thought. I am working from my granmother's birthday book and the New Zealand births deaths and marriages and trying to match up what I have.
Margaret

jax

jax Report 8 Jun 2012 05:06

Yes the three sisters married the three Bruce brothers and John Simpson Lawrence married Elizabeth Moreton Pryde

I would suggest you take ou the 14 day trial and contact the tree owner who is an active member it seems

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2013 00:23

Annie Simpson Lawrence (or Annie Simpson) was born in Scricten (I think) Aberdeenshire on 4th March 1859 (or 60). Her parents didn't marry until 1861 when she and her mother arrived in New Zealand, her parents were related ,about 3rd cousins and her father John Birnie Lawrence was 20 years older than her mother Ann Simpson. Could anyone check her birth to see if John Birnie Lawrence was her birth father or not. He seems to have come to New Zealand in 1860. The previous help was very useful and I have made progress since getting it. Any help with this bit would be appreciated. Thanks
Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2013 00:33

Margaret

As she was born in Scotland, her birth information is available only on Scotland's People ................. and that is a pay-per-view site, not a subscription site.

It is likely that no-one will be able to help you, as it would mean spending their own money to buy the credits to do so.

sylvia

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 5 Feb 2013 00:48

There is no charge to check SP and clarify that a record exists.
Unfortunately., there is no record of an Ann(ie) Simpson or even Lawrence/Laurence, born Strichen or anywhere in Aberdeen between 1856 and 1861.
There were no children called Ann(ie) Simpson registered anywhere in Scotland between 1859 and 1860

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2013 01:45

Thank you both for your time and effort I guess it may remain a mystery as both ships that they appear to have arrived on left from Glasgow bu then if there was no father in evidence maybe she had the baby elsewhere. I don't have where her mother was born only John Birnie Lawrence in Gowanfold Rathen Aberdeenshire. I did find a child that might be her in the 1861 census under Annie Simpson aged 1 at Simpson's public house Old Monkland E D Larnakshire but I am not sure if this is the right family or not. It should be Ann Simpson and her parents were Alexander and Barbara.
Margaret

jax

jax Report 5 Feb 2013 02:38

If this is Ann with her parents...who is Agnes K Simpson grandaughter?

1861 Scotland Census
about Ann Simpson
Name: Ann Simpson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839
Relationship: Daughter
Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
Mother's Name: Barbara Simpson
Where born: Lonmay, Aberdeenshire
Registration number: 241
Registration district: Strichen
Civil parish: Strichen
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: Mid Street (free Church House)
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 61
Line: 14
Roll: CSSCT1861_33
Household Members: Name Age
Alexander Simpson 50
Barbara Simpson 50
Ann Simpson 22
John Simpson 11
Barbara Simpson 9
Margaret Simpson 4
Agnes K Simpson 2

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2013 03:14

Thanks this looks like them as I have a John, Barbara and Margaret of the right sort of age it would make the mother Barbara 47 ish if she had Agnes which is possible as I know of 2 mothers who had their last at 50! The other possibility is she may belong to one of the 5 elder brothers that are not still with the family at this stage. It is all very interesting such a pity my grandmother never talked about her mother but then maybe she wasn't told if what I have found about her birth is correct.
If Ann had married someone else prior to this and say he had died, I would expect she would be listed under a married name so probably not unless things were different over there then.
Margaret

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2013 03:25

From the census info perhaps she was Agnes, would anyone be able to check if Agnes K Simpson was born to either Ann or her mother Barbara on the 4th March 1859 I think I read that the census was in April so if this is Annie she would be just 2.
Margaret

jax

jax Report 5 Feb 2013 03:26

If that is your family and Annie was born 1859...where is she?

Agnes is a grandaughter born Strichen.... same age and place of birth as Annie

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Feb 2013 05:50

Jax I think you might have solved it thanks so much, Annie is actually Agnes but was called Annie and has been known as that , her daughter was named Annie and they always called her Tib and a grand daughter called Peggy I have yet to find her real name so they didn't worry about sticking to oficial names. It didn't happen to say Agnes father's name did it.
Margaret

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 5 Feb 2013 10:04

Apologies, I guess that when I looked at SP last night, I had inadvertantly set the perameter to look for a MALE birth rather than female which resulted in no matches

I re checked SP again and there is a FEMALE birth of Ann Simpson b 1859 in Strichen.

parent Ann Simpson

name ***Ann Laurence Simpson**
genderFemale
baptism/christening date
baptism/christening place
birth date04 Mar 1859
birthplaceSTRICHEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
death date
name note

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Feb 2013 13:11

You can get an 1890s map showing parishes of Aberdeenshire (or any Scottish county) at:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/gazetteer/
[NB Since it's an 1890s map, the parish of St Fergus and bits of the adjacent parishes have now been transferred from Banffshire by the recent boundary changes.]

The 1841 census transcription for Aberdeenshire is complete, and also complete for all the 1851 parishes mentioned at:
http://www.freecen.org.uk/

There are paid transcriptions with an Ancestry or FMP sub, but the only place to get images is SP:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
These images, and those of 19th cent BMDs post-1854, and parish regos pre-1855, cost abt 1.40 GBP per image, if you're careful.

I prefer the FreeCEN transcriptions - they're nicer to copy & paste, and you can just click a button to see the next/previous h/h, which I like.

Go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ and search for 403000,864000 - zoom out for Gowanfold; or for 399000,859500 - for Denhead

1851 Census
Piece: SCT1851/235 Place: Rathen -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Rathen Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 180 Page: 12 Schedule: 47
Address: Denhead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
SIMPSON Alexander Head M M 40 Ag. Labourer Aberdeenshire - Rathen
SIMPSON / REID Barbra Wife M F 39 Aberdeenshire - Strichen
SIMPSON Ann Dau U F 12 Aberdeenshire - Lonmay
SIMPSON George Son - M 5 Aberdeenshire - Rathen
SIMPSON Alexander Son - M 7 Aberdeenshire - Rathen
SIMPSON James Son - M 3 Aberdeenshire - Rathen
SIMPSON John Son - M 1 Aberdeenshire - Rathen

1841 Census
Piece: SCT1841/235 Place: Rathen -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 2
Folio: 2 Page: 7
Address: Denhead
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
SIMPSON Barbra F 25 Farmer Aberdeenshire Occ given under son William's name
SIMPSON William M 4 Aberdeenshire
SIMPSON Ann F 2 Aberdeenshire
SIMPSON (Unnamed) M 1d Aberdeenshire

1841 Census
Piece: SCT1841/235 Place: Rathen -Aberdeenshire Enumeration District: 2
Folio: 2 Page: 16
Address: Porter Lodge Of Mormond House
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
SIMPSON William M 60 Ag. Labourer Aberdeenshire
SIMPSON Jane F 50 Aberdeenshire
SIMPSON Alexander M 30 Ag. Labourer Aberdeenshire

[NB Adult (15+) ages were supposed to be rounded down to a mult of 5 in 1841.
400100,859500 - for Mormond House]

There are also a mess of Simpsons in Tophead, 500m W of Denhead - I can't believe they're all unrelated.

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Feb 2013 02:19

Thanks again for the help. I am thinking that the Agnes maybe a miss representation of her name ( I have found this with other relatives). Still unsure of her birth father as her Great grandmother was also a Lawrence relation , so she could easily have been named after her as they seemed to do a lot. rather than her father. Thanks also for the map suggestions I will look them up.
Margaret