Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish records (burials)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 17:48

Why do Parish recs. (burials) come up as 'dead ends' when the dates for death are known factors? Are they not all recorded? (I'm looking at 1930-45)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2012 17:54

Hello Shirley, are you referring to looking through actual parish records or trying to find them on-line?

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 17:58

Hi Celeste - online

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2012 18:00

Shirley, they aren't all on-line.

Sometimes there are burial notices in the British Newspaper Archives. Do you want to give an example of one of the deaths you're looking for.

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 18:02

Hi Celeste- I'm sending this again as I'm not sure if I did it right - I'm talking about searches online'
S

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 18:04

Thank you - I've got : WILLIAM J. CROWE died Plymouth 1932 (DOB 1869)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2012 18:13

Sorry, not finding one for him (the newspapers aren't all on-line either).

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Jul 2012 18:14

Do you mean this one? The death certificate will give date of death.

Deaths Mar 1932 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowe William J 62 E Stonehouse 5b 518

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 18:26

Yes 5b 518 is the right man indeed!

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 18:36

Thanks to both for responding - this man remains a mystery. I was hoping if he came up on the searches it might help as he's been so elusive. ie
born Bangalore 1869 so no Birth Cert. (prob. army family but that came to a dead end, too). He suddenly appears in Plymouth1901 and 1911 census... then dies there. No trace prior to 1901/ no info. AAAArgh!
Thanks anyway,
S

Adeline

Adeline Report 13 Jul 2012 18:39

Parish records will only show burials in a churchyard. Many more people were/are buried in municipal cemeteries and these records are not generally online.

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 18:47

I didn't realise that - I imagine this was likely to be a municipal Cem. burial being in a city. Thanks for that info.

Joy

Joy Report 13 Jul 2012 19:10

Try sending an email to the address within this site to ask if a record can be found
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/cemeteriesandcrematoria

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 Jul 2012 19:56

Adeline`s not quite right. Parish records will record burial services performed by the parish priest. A typical burial service has a part in the church, then the body`s taken out to the churchyard, and the service concludes at the graveside. By 1930, most urban burials take place in the municipal cemetery. The only real difference this makes to the service is that the coffin`s carried out to a hearse in the churchyard, and everyone drives (or is driven) to the cemetery. (In 1910-ish, they`ld walk behind the horse-drawn hearse).

The parish register would only contain services performed by that churches ministers anyway. If they were baptists or methodists, say, then the burial service would be in the baptistémethodist churchs register.`

In addition to the burial service record, there`ll usually be another record by the cemetery owner, often recording who`s buried where. (This latter record is what Joy was aiming for).

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 20:06

Many thanks for all this information - I do appreciate it,
S

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2012 20:18

Shirley - is this 1901 the right chap?

CROWE, William Head Married M 33 1868 General Labourer Bangalore E India
CROWE, Jane Wife Married F 37 1864 Barnstaple, Devonshire

Piece: 2104 Folio: 90 Page: 13
Registration District: East Stonehouse
Civil Parish: East Stonehouse

Address: 66, George Street, East Stonehouse County: Devonshire

and in 1911:

CROWE, William Head Married M 43 1868 Hired Labourer India Madrasa Resident
CROWE, Jane Wife Married 14 years F 46 1865 Devon Barnstaple

RG number: RG14 Piece: 13010 Reference: RG14PN13010 RG78PN750 RD277 SD1 ED6 SN8
Registration District: East Stonehouse
Sub District: East Stonehouse
Enumeration District: 6
Parish: East Stonehouse

Address: 12 Market Street East Stonehouse County: Devonshire

He worked in a government dockyard. They'd had no children.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Jul 2012 20:33

Guess you're right, Marie Celeste, I was looking at the wrong one. Think I'll go and delete my previous message. Blame it on the heat, it's over 30 degrees here, my brain is frazzled!

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jul 2012 21:25

Hi Celeste - Exactly! This is my 'man' in 1901 and 1911 - the only time he ever shows his head above the parapet!
Technically they weren't husband and wife as my Grandmother, Jane, was long separated but not divorced (so I can't glean more from a Mar. cert ). They lived together for at least 30 years that I know about and she died two years after him. Born 1861, she was older than WJ older than W.J. but conveniently 'lost years' as time went on!!!
That was kind of you to dig out these searches for me.
it's unfortunate that I have no idea when or why he left India or indeed where he was from 1869-1901 - or I could follow him up in previous census. Would love to know more but as always...t he remains elusive - drat!
Thanks again - I can't believe how helpful everyone has been,
S

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Jul 2012 22:09

Shirley - do you have any idea what the "J" stood for?

I've found records for a William "H" Crowe born in India about the same time.

Shirley

Shirley Report 14 Jul 2012 13:36

Hi Celeste - Mine is def. J for James and he was known as Jim Crowe in Plymouth. I did, at one point, think I'd found his family of Crowe's
re. an Indian Army family in India in 1860's. I tracked them back to the UK by 1880's in the 81, 91 and 01 census but could never establish any concrete tie- in with WJ.
They were: Charles (head), Louisa (wife) with Charles H., Kathleen Elizabeth Daisy, Timothy (all born India) and Harry P. (born London).
I know from the census returns that the daughter as an adult, favoured the name Daisy which made this connection seemed all the more hopeful as my Uncle remembered someone called Daisy that used to visit in Plymouth but WJ, as always doesn't show up in any shape or form!!!!!
My thanks to you again,
S