Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

JOHN AUGHNEY..CARLOW

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Jul 2012 17:02

Forgive me for being a bit cheeky,but does anyone have Ancestor.com(the world one)?
I am a member of ancestry but cant get the information I need off the ordinary site.
In the 1901 Irish census,I have Michael Aughney(42),living at house 2,Newtown,(Agha,Carlow)
with him were wife Catherine(43...think her mn may have been Byrne)
children Mary(17).,Alicia(14).,John(11).,Annie(8)and Catherine(3)
Also living with them were Michaels' parents..John Aughney(83)BLIND,and Alicia(78)..parents were not on 1911 census.
I would dearly love to find out...
a)WAS Catherines maiden name Byrne?
b)what was Alicias' maiden name?
c)who was John(sr)s' father?
Hope there someone who doesnt mind looking for me.....thankyou. :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Jul 2012 17:05

not cheeky Elaine!!! I'll see if I can find something :-)

Andrew

Andrew Report 23 Jul 2012 17:08

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
about Michael Aughney
Name: Michael Aughney
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1883
Registration district: Carlow
Volume: 3
Page: 339 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101254

Also on the page

Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index, 1845-1958
about Catherine Byrne
Name: Catherine Byrne
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1883
Registration district: Carlow
Volume: 3
Page: 339 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101254

Andy

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Jul 2012 17:28

thnx Ann....also thnx Andrew...thats were I found Catherine Byrne...she was the only Catherine on same page..thats why i thought maybe it was her...looks VERY likely

just needing John and Alicias details now.

wondered why they put BLIND on the census...did they ask health questions in 1901?.....this fact is very interesting,because we know of a few members of the family,including my husband,who were either blind,or suffered eye problems

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Jul 2012 17:36

they often put disabilities Elain, deaf and dumb is one the seem to use a lot, or even worse, imbecile

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Jul 2012 17:38

aw..that wasnt very nice was it....poor old souls..bless em.x

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Jul 2012 18:08

dont know if its helpful or not,but Carlow is surrounded by counties Kilkenny.,Laois.,Kildare.,Wicklow .,

Elaine

Elaine Report 24 Jul 2012 17:06

please nudge up...thankyou

Elaine

Elaine Report 28 Jul 2012 19:46

now have a copy of the birth cert of Michael Aughneys' daughter,Catherine,b.1st Sept.1897.,Newtown.,Co.Carlow....father Michael Aughney>mother Catherine Aughney,formerly BYRNE !
Thats one question answered...the posting by Andrew must be the correct one.
Have googled marriages ALL over Carlow,trying to find a marriage for John Aughney and Alicia ?....about 40 diocese in Carlow and almost a dozen in laois and kilkenny!!
Still nothing...

Elaine

Elaine Report 4 Sep 2012 14:17

is anyone one here able to look up irish marriages,more successfully than me?lol

am going to the Irish Life Centre in Dublin tomorrow or Thurs(depending on whether cars fixed!)

can get copies of certs for €4 each,so not too exp if they not for our family.

have Vol no. and Page no. for several Aughneys...hoping at least one of them have John and Alicia Aughney as parents.

REALLY need details of John and Alicias' marriage,in order to find the names of their fathers...this info is proving difficult to find,because they would have married before registration became law.

i need ideas on how i can find marriage details...i have googled marriages in many many towns in Carlow,but no luck

would love some advice before i go to Dublin please.

Elaine

Elaine

Elaine Report 5 Sep 2012 20:01

nudge up please.x

Elaine

Elaine Report 24 Sep 2012 00:31

still looking for marriage of JOHN AUGHNEY & ALICIA (I think,RYAN)

any help gratefully received.

thankyou

Elaine

Elaine Report 26 Sep 2012 01:34

nudge up please.x

Elaine

Elaine Report 12 Mar 2013 04:35

Think John Aughney was married to ALICIA(Alice)RAFTRY(Rafferty)...their son was born c1859,so the marriage would prob have been before then,depending on whether Michael was the eldest child.

Elaine

Elaine

Elaine Report 17 Mar 2013 01:06

nudge nudge

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Sep 2013 02:24

Still looking for the elusive parents of John Aughney,b.c1818.,Co Carlow.,Ireland.
Beginning to think he was an Immaculate Conception!

Alemap

Alemap Report 11 Sep 2013 09:58

Hi Elaine, did you get Michael's marriage cert?
This should give the mothers maiden name, which might help with your search.

Elaine

Elaine Report 11 Sep 2013 13:05

I have Michaels marriage cert...

Bagenalstown.Carlow.
5th Feb 1883
Michael Aughney.,full age.,bachelor.,Labourer.,Boherduff.,father--John Aughney.,labourer
TO
Catherine Byrne.,full age.,spinster.,servant.,Boherduff.,father--Patrick Byrne.,labourer
Witnesses--Edward Larkin & Bridgid Larkin.

There's nothing about his mothers maiden name.....but I have that already.,his mother was Alicia Raftry.,b.c1823.

It's Johns parents I'm looking..Michaels grandparents.