Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

pows held in burma

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sara Louise

Sara Louise Report 21 Aug 2012 15:46

Hi all,
I am doing my family tree but cant seem to find any military info for my grandfather..... Albert Moger . i don't have any idea who he served with but i do now he was held as a pow on the Burma railway.
Any help gratefully revived.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Aug 2012 15:53

welcome to the boards Sara

Death Railway - Britain at War
These pages are dedicated to the prisoners who lost their lives working as slave labour for the Japanese to build a railway between Thailand and Burma in WW2.
www.britain-at-war.org.uk/WW2/Death_?Railway

BBC NEWS | UK | Prisoner of war records go online
Records of more than 100,000 British prisoners of war captured during World War II are being published online. The ancestry.co.uk lists, accessible for a fee, were ...
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8223428.stm - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 Aug 2012 15:55

Free WW2 POW Search
2 Million+ forces personnel listed Search by name, war or regiment!
forces-war-records.co.uk/records

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Aug 2012 16:55

There may be a questionnaire completed by him and a Japanese Index card at the National Archives.

I wouldn't bother with the site Ann posted, to be honest! Not having a go at you Ann but they probably have very little, if any, info on him.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 21 Aug 2012 20:40

Ann if you are sure of his name and date of birth you can apply for his war records. Cost around £30. Some people on here say you have to be next of kin but that's not necessarily true. I did it for my dad and my cus in AUS for his dad.

They sent masses & masses of docs

My dad was also a prisoner in Burma but that info did not come up on his war records. Lots of shocking stuff in India didn't think my dad was capable of. However after receivng the docs I was sent an address to apply for copies of his medals.

As a child, I once asked him if he had killed anybody - his reply was in Burma with his men the Gurkhas he stuck bayonets in the Japs.

Sara Louise

Sara Louise Report 21 Aug 2012 21:23

thank you all !!!!!!!!! will look into it more tomorrow.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 21 Aug 2012 21:42

Google 'far east prisoners of war' and check out some of the results.

Through one employment, I talked with FEPOWs as they were called and I got told some pretty gruesome stuff by the survivors themselves.

Just try and be prepared because you may learn stuff you wish you never had, about what one human being can do to another and what some are forced to do to survive.

J