Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

probate and wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Josephine

Josephine Report 23 Aug 2012 12:42

I am (still) trying to trace my maternal grandfather's date and place of birth - John Thomas Wright - and thought I might find some information in his will or probate record - he died in Sevenoaks and his death was registered in Tonbridge in 1966 - I have his death certificate. Probate records online only seem to go up to 1966 and as he died towards the end of the year, his is not listed. can anyone suggest the best place for me to go to find his will or probate record? and also is he more likely to have been buried in Sevenoaks if he died there? any help gratefully accepted.

thanks

Jo

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Aug 2012 12:46

On Genealogy Chat there are a couple of threads about obtaining wills - one by Jonesey

Gee

Gee Report 23 Aug 2012 12:48

Hi Jo

You can apply for a search here, the cost is £6

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/probate

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Aug 2012 12:51

?? but not at the end of the year

Name: John T Wright
Birth Date: abt 1897
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1966
Age at Death: 69
Registration district: Tonbridge
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 5f
Page: 905

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Aug 2012 12:54

You know from his death record that he was born 1897, have you looked for possible births that correspond?

Having said that, there are a LOT with that name born around the time. His marriage certificate would definitely be the best starting point to get his father's details and work back from that.

K

K Report 23 Aug 2012 13:10

Other connected threads

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/results?bsk=2251678

K

K Report 23 Aug 2012 13:18

These threads list the father's name as the same as the son's but I think Jo's tree on Ancestry lists the father as Charles Thomas.

Josephine

Josephine Report 23 Aug 2012 14:37

Thanks everyone for your responses - I have his marriage certificates (he married twice) which names his father, who was deceased at the time of his first marriage in 1917 -and his death certificate - but cant find his birth - and as I know to my cost there are so many Wrights and almost as many John Wrights and Charles wrights -the will and probate idea is me clutching at straws!!! - but I have to go down Sevenoaks way next week so thought it might be worth trying to find out some more info while I am there

sorry GlitterBaby - his second marriage was at the end of a year - but I went through all the probate names on Ancestry in 1966 and his wasn't there

Jo

Gee

Gee Report 23 Aug 2012 14:46

Jo

On the marriage certs, what occupation does it give for John and his father Charles?

Where did he marry and what is the address and wit names on the cert?

.......and who did he marry please

Josephine

Josephine Report 23 Aug 2012 15:01

Gins - his first marriage was to Dorothy Ada Sawyer, he was listed as a soldier - I have tried unsuccessfully to find his Army record. they were living in Edon or Eldon Street in Reading and his father was listed as deceased and a pipe layer. the witnesses were Rosetta and Annie Pearson.

his second marriage, in Tonbridge, was to Elsie King, his employment was fireman NFS (painter and decorator) and they lived in Lime Tree Walk, Sevenoaks; his father was listed as gas works labourer

Thanks

Jo

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 23 Aug 2012 15:03

On the military record nok is Elizabeth and he joined up in Northampton I think

So how about this in 1901

Name: John Wright
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Charles Wright
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Wright
Where born: Pipewell, Northamptonshire, England
Civil parish: Rushton
Ecclesiastical parish: Rushton All Saints and St Peter
Town: Rushton
County/Island: Northamptonshire
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Kettering
Sub-registration district: Rothwell
ED, institution, or vessel: 13
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 43
Piece: 1450
Folio: 81
Page Number: 7
Household Members:
Name Age
Charles Wright 30
Elizabeth Wright 27
Albert Wright 6
John Wright 4
Frances S M Wright 2
Herbert V Wright

Gee

Gee Report 23 Aug 2012 15:07

Oh gawed, I was hoping he had a more unusual occupation!

Josephine

Josephine Report 23 Aug 2012 15:18

HeyJudeB4Beatles - thanks for that - could be the one!!!! will be strange if it is as I now live in Northamptonshire!! but I will have a look at it. at the time I was looking at military records I didnt have his father's name so couldnt link the nok..........

Gins - sorry - nothing unusual about my family except it seemed maternal grandfather appeared out of the ether as I have failed to find any birth record!!! My mum had little recollection of himas he and her mother separated when she was five, apart from thinking there was an Irish connection - but she knew no more than that and it seems she was the last of her siblings to die (earlier this year)

Jo

Gee

Gee Report 23 Aug 2012 15:21

Searching for deaths from 1897 - 1917 for his father brings these up (thats if he really was dead at the time of Johns first marriage!) these

Might be worth searching the censuses for men below to see if John T is with any of them

Deaths Mar 1901
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wright Charles Thomas 26 Mile End 1c 293

Deaths Dec 1901
Wright Charles Thomas 30 W. Ham 4a [38]8

Deaths Jun 1905
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WRIGHT Charles Thomas 41 Congleton 8a 177

Deaths Jun 1910
Wright Charles Thomas 60 Croydon 2a 166

Deaths Dec 1914
Wright Charles T 60 Kensington 1a 210

Deaths Dec 1915
Wright Charles T 38 Edmonton 3a 575

Josephine

Josephine Report 23 Aug 2012 15:53

Thanks Gins - I have already started looking at some of these- just a matter of finding spare hours to go through them all - really appreciate your's and everyone's help

Jo

Gee

Gee Report 23 Aug 2012 16:49

Jo

Id also apply to the probate office to check if there is a will. Its a very simple form to fill in and has to be worth six quid

Good luck

x

Josephine

Josephine Report 18 Jan 2013 15:13

HeyJudeB4Beatles - finally got around to looking up your suggestion re my grandfather being born in Northampton - got through several hours of record searching only to find in 1911 census that he had a different middle name grrrrrr!!!! the joys of family history I guess!!!

Gins - just heard back from the Probate Office - no record of his having left a will - but I will apply again to see if his second wife -who outlived him - left one - might give me some information

Other than that - still searching for maternal grandfather!!!! :-S