Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kilma Maber - Ireland????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 5 Sep 2012 20:01

I have been looking into the family of John Joseph Roche who was born in 1796 in a place called Kilma Maber in Ireland according to the 1861 census for Jersey.

Now I don't know much about Ireland but it doesn't sound right to me, I've looked closely at the image and googled the name but I'm none the wiser.

Any ideas anyone?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Sep 2012 20:09

I think the first 7 letters say Killina.....

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Sep 2012 20:27

Is there anyway you can get the Census to me to have a look...?
Roche is a surname mainly found on the West Coast Clare Kerry Cork ....although it is found in other Counties...rare in the North.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 5 Sep 2012 20:31

It maybe a trawl but this is a list of populated places in the Republic of Ireland.

Kanturk, Keadue, Kealkill, Keel, Keenagh, Kells, Kenmare, Kerrykeel, Keshcarrigan, Kilbarrack, Kilbaha, Kilbeggan, Kilbeheny, Kilberry, Kilbricken, Kilbrin, Kilbrittain, Kilcar (Cill Charthaigh), Kilcock, Kilcogy, Kilcolgan, Kilconly, Kilcoole, Kilconnell, Kilcormac, Kilcorney, Kilcrohane, Kilcullen, Kildangan, Kildare, Kildavin, Kildimo, Kildorrery, Kildysart, Kilfenora, Kilfinane, Kilflynn, Kilgarvan, Kilglass, Kilkea, Kilkee, Kilkelly, Kilkenny, Kilkerrin, Kilkieran (Cill Chiaráin), Kill (Kildare), Killadysert, Killala, Killaloe, Killanne, Killarga, Killarney, Killashee, Killavullen, Killeigh, Killenaule, Killeshandra, Killeshin, Killimordaly, Killinaspick, Killiney, Killinierin, Killorglin, Killucan, Killurin, Killybegs, Kilmacanogue, Kilmacduagh, Kilmacow, Kilmacthomas, Kilmaine, Kilmaley, Kilmallock, Kilmead, Kilmeaden, Kilmeage, Kilmichael, Kilmihil, Kilmore, Kilmore Quay, Kilmoyley, Kilmuckridge, Kilnaboy, Kilnaleck, Kilnamartyra (Cill na Martra), Kilpedder, Kilquade, Kilronan (Cill Rónáin), Kilrush, Kilshanchoe, Kilshanny, Kilskeer, Kiltale, Kiltartan, Kiltealy, Kilteel, Kilteely, Kiltegan, Kilternan, Kiltimagh, Kiltormer, Kiltyclogher, Kilumney, Kilworth, Kincasslagh (Cionn Caslach), Kingscourt, Kinlough, Kinnegad, Kinnitty, Kinsale, Kinvara, Knightstown, Knock, Knockbridge, Knockaderry, Knocknahur, Knockananna, Knockanore, Knockcroghery, Knocklyon, Knocknagoshel, Knocknagree, Knockraha, Knocktopher

jerseylily

jerseylily Report 5 Sep 2012 21:01

It could indeed begin Killina now I look again, trouble is I keep seeing Kilmarnock - and I know that's not in Ireland!

I'm going to print off the list of places and compare them with the census image.

Unfortunately Eringobragh1916 the resident IT expert is out at the moment, I've had a go at copying the image but it's so pixellated that it's illegible. I'll try and pin him down tomorrow. Good to know where the highest concentration of the name is tho'.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Sep 2012 22:21

John Roche
England and Wales Census, 1861
birth: 1796 ...
census: 1861 St Helier,? Jersey,? Channel Islands

name: John Roche
event: Census
event date: 1861
relationship to head of household: Head
birthplace: ...
record type: Household