Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Canadian records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Donald

Donald Report 13 Oct 2012 10:30

If there is anyone out there who has full access to Canadian records, can I ask you to help me find some lost family details. This refers to members of the Osborne family who emigrated around 1960.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Oct 2012 10:34

It's very difficult to access any records that recent in Canada. Do you know where in Canada they were? British Columbia has the most recent death records.

Donald

Donald Report 14 Oct 2012 16:17

Last known address was in Mississuaga, Ontario. There is a contact in Canada, which I am currently in the act of attempting to prise some information from:- Service Canada, Operations branch, national Search Unit, 333, North River Road, Ottawa, North Ontario. If I have any success, I will post it on this site.

Donald

Donald Report 9 Feb 2013 16:12

I had a reply from the unit, but they were talking about someone I had never heard of. I think there was a crossed line somewhere.

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Feb 2013 00:17

Ontario B/M/Ds are closed for 97/82/70 y. Strictly speaking, deaths are not closed, but there's no public index for 70y.

Ancestry recently put the voters lists online - see:
http://search.ancestry.ca/search/db.aspx?dbid=2983
but for the most recent (unindexed) lists, one needed to be a Canadian citizen to vote. Previously, Brits could vote, and there wasn't really much to be gained by becoming a Canadian citizen (unless you planned on owning a bank).

Beyond that, google and try the phone book:
http://phonebook.mytelus.com/Home

PS I don't have a sub - you can do free searches, but they only tell you the province for free.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

psmuskoka

psmuskoka Report 10 Feb 2013 15:55

You can try the Might,s directories for Mississauga in that date range, if you have a date of birth for who you are looking for i could probably make some discreet inquiries, full name and type of work the subject may be involved in as well as date of landing in Canada and port of entry would probably make any search a lot easier
regards
Pete