Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census look -up for Walter Horace BRETT

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 13:44

Hi I,m looking for 1901 census for Walter Horace BRETT,born 1882 North Woolwich,Essex.Father was Charles. In 1891 Walter was in West Ham aged 9 yrs,and 1911 aged 28 in South East Ham,44,Caledon road,but I can't find the him in 1901.He was single as he married in 1905.Hope you have better luck or rather skills than me Regards Bob

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 20 Nov 2012 14:11

poss connection?

Walter Horace Brett
England and Wales Census, 1911
birth: East Ham,? Essex
census: 1911 East Ham,? East Ham,? Essex,? England

name: Walter Horace Brett
event: Census
event date: 1911
birthplace: East Ham, Essex
record type: Household
registration district: West Ham
sub-district: South East Ham
parish: East Ham
county: Essex

Flip

Flip Report 20 Nov 2012 14:13

Is this the 1891 you have found?

Charles Brett
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1857
Relation: Head
Where born: Poplar, London, England

Civil parish: West Ham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: West Ham
County/Island: Essex

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: West Ham
Sub-registration district: West Ham
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1317
Folio: 57
Page Number: 23
Household Members: Name Age
Charles Brett 34 (widow) vorn Poplar
Mary A Jennings 39 (sister & also a widow) b Poplar
Walter Brett 9

Not having much luck with any of them 1901

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 14:15

ANNCARDIFF,hI thats his son bob

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 14:20

Flip, thats the one,Thought you might be having difficulty in the replies that I,m getting.Maybe I'm getting better,if you can't find him what chance do I have Bob

Flip

Flip Report 20 Nov 2012 14:51

Sorry, didn't mean to post 3 times, I've now deleted 2 of them - the system kept giving an error message!

I've checked, but can't find a military record - wondered if he had enlisted in the late 1890s and could be abroad serving. Did he serve in WW1 do you know?

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 14:59

Flip,no I didn't find him in the Ist ww records,what abt prison,but Idon't know where to look for that.He died 27/3/1949 Romford. as he left a will.Bob

Flip

Flip Report 20 Nov 2012 15:09

I'm not seeing anything on Ancestry, other than the birth, marriage death adn 1891/1911 census - plus probate record confirming that death, do you have this?

Strange his father disappears as well in 1901, have you found Charles in 1911?

I'll take a look in the newspaper archive, just need to find my purse for my library card.

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 15:19

Didn't bother with Charles as that goes to far out from my tree,Name might be misspelt ??? bob

Flip

Flip Report 20 Nov 2012 15:51

But if you find Charles, you may find Walter - although i've looked but without any success. Maybe try to find Charles's death to see if there is probate?

Do you know who Walter's mother was - she obviously died between 1882 and 1891 according to the 1891 census?

At the moment you are not getting anywhere with the direct search angle, so maybe it's time to try a bit of lateral thinking ;-)

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 16:05

No ,I haven't tried that angle yet,thinking out of the box?.Like it reminds me of work.hopefully I might find something,many thanks for your help bob

Robert

Robert Report 20 Nov 2012 16:34

Flip, Found Charles as a lodger West Ham,Canning Town ed 46,Household schedule 283 ,piece 1585,folio 145,page 45.He was a crane driver,But no Walter,as yet, Bob

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 20 Nov 2012 17:08

Mary in 1901?
Name: Mary A Jennings
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1852
Relation: Servant
Where born: Bethnal Green
Civil parish: Willesden
Ecclesiastical parish: Kensal Rise St John
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Hendon
Sub-registration district: Willesden
ED, institution, or vessel: 27
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 219
Piece: 1218
Folio: 90
Page Number: 32
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Mantell 60
William Mantell 33
Annie Mantell 26
James Mantell 23
John Mantell 21
Halley Mantell 14
Mary A Jennings 49

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1218; Folio: 90; Page: 32.

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 20 Nov 2012 17:20

married in West Ham
Marriages Sep 1905 (>99%)
Brett Walter Horace W. Ham 4a 31 <===
CROUCH Julia W Ham 4a 31
Savage Ernest George W.Ham 4a 31
YENSON Selina Violet W. Ham 4a 31 <===

Jim The Ferret

Jim The Ferret Report 20 Nov 2012 17:23

Births Dec 1884 (>99%)
Yenson Selina Violet Abingdon 2c 295

Flip

Flip Report 20 Nov 2012 17:28

You've got to think "outside the box" at times when chasing ancestors! God I hate that phrase at work :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

Could you post the 1901 census for Charles that you've found - to save searching for it. Yes, I'm having a day off from work and being lazy - and I can't search by references!

I really still wonder if Walter either went abroad for a time or enlisted and serverd abroad (maybe Boar war?), but I can't find proof of either - can anyone with FMP do any better?

Robert

Robert Report 21 Nov 2012 19:21

Flip,What can we do,you can'tsearch by ref and Ican't send the census..All Ican do is say Look at county Essesx,,then West Ham,Registration diistrict,then Canning Town,which is the sub district then district 46.Its on Ancestry.If I had your email address I might be able to send it that way ,maybe bob