Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parental ages ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 29 Dec 2012 14:45

Hi there,

My ancestor, Mary Banner, was born in 1789. I have searched for a baptism on the IGI for her father, William. I have found possible born 1733. However, this would make him 56 years old at least when his youngest daughter Mary was born. He wife was born c. 1750.

This is all based on finding Mary's baptism, then a possible marriage marriage from the parents and then their baptism. But 56 seems VERY old for back then.

What do you think?

I'm eager to confirm as this 'link' would take this branch back to the 1570s but I want to confirm first, before I get too excited.

Likewise, it appears Mary Banner, born 1789 had a child baptised in 1840 when she was 51!

Unlikely but the evidence suggests 'yes'.

Opinions welcome.

Peter

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Dec 2012 14:53

Peter not impossible he was a father then but bear in mind not all records are on-line.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2012 15:00

I have seen lots of births to older people (especially men). My grandfather was 61 when my youngest aunty was born.

Further back my great grandmother was 46 when she had her last child.

Also remember that the child baptised in 1840 may have been born several years earlier. Some of my ancestors had several children baptised on the same day even though some of them were older children at the time.

Kath. x

Peter

Peter Report 29 Dec 2012 15:15

Thank you both for your opinions ... yes, it is quite concerning that not all records are online. That is a little worrying and I do wonder how cautiously to tred when this is the case. Again, opinions are welcome.

Likewise, on an unrelated branch, I have a confirmed father (from wills etc) who was 50 when he married, and was 54 when he had his son.

Also, my own great grandmother who I vaugley remember, was 48 when she had her youngest child.

With this, does this change for woman?

I also have an 'ancestress', who appears to have been born in 1665, but married in 1704, had two children the year after, making her 40! She seems to have died in 1740, aged about 75 which again seems very old back then. Somehow this seems less likely but after using the IGI it appears I can account for all of the other relatives with the same name in the parish. Although some of this family were not baptised, but the vicar has decided to mention the birth of various cousins (sadly, without names).

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Dec 2012 15:25

Ramjit Raghav is the worlds oldest (known) father - he is 96. Des O'Connor became a father in his 70s.

Men can father children until they die, women cease childbearing post menopause (apart from those who fiddle with hormones).

75 was old back then but certainly not that unusual.

Barry

Barry Report 29 Dec 2012 15:26

Hi Peter - You don't give the place for Mary's birth or the name of William's wife
Do you have them ?
There is a Mary Banner born Cheshire 1789 with parents William and Eleanor Youd/Yewd on Ancestry trees who married in 1771
Williams yob is shown as 1750 and Eleanor's as c1752
Is this your family ?

Peter

Peter Report 29 Dec 2012 15:33

Thank you MarieCeleste; you give me hope!

Hi Barry, yes that is my family. But there are many searching these families and I'm in contact with a lot but there is a lot of new stuff on the net (since I last searched) and others seems to have lost interest etc.

Can I ask what other info this tree gives?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Dec 2012 15:35

Register with Mundia to search and view Ancestry trees. It's free.
http://www.mundia.com/gb/