Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Full age

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarysRoots

MarysRoots Report 1 Jan 2013 23:28

Hello,

I have a England marriage cert which just says Bride and groom of full age The cert is 1855 but I have the bride's date of birth as 1836 so this would make her 19
I thought full age was over 21 ??

Regards

Mary

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2013 23:39

It was..........she lied. Probably to avoid having to provide proof of parental consent, which may not have been forthcoming..........

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Jan 2013 00:32

I have a relative in my tree who claimed to be 20yrs old at time of her Scottish marriage.
She was barely 14 yrs old.
She appears on 2 census returns following this and BOTH have clearly been altered by the enumerator at the time.
(Her father was living with her on the 2nd census)
Her correct age only appears on her premature death cert.
She had been married for 13yrs and was just 26yrs old
Convincing a direct decendant that the birth, marriage, census and death records ALL relate to the same person took some doing!

mgnv

mgnv Report 2 Jan 2013 21:58

Widows of any age - even 12 - were of full age.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jan 2013 22:21

Does the marriage certificate say she is a spinster or a widow?

Kath. x