Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Robert Miller - Born around 1820-1824 - England

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 15 Jan 2013 01:52

Want to know where he was born and his parents names. He left England after losing his tenant farm with the Enclosures Act and went to Australia looking to farm, but believe he spent time on the Victorian Goldfields, before sailing to N.Z. on the 'Gil Blas' arriving in Otago N.Z. on the 28th. November 1855. He bought a small farm at Milton and on September 27th. 1858 married Mary Young. Mary apparently came out to N.Z. arriving on the 9th. February 1858 aboard the 'Robert Henderson'. She came from Clackmanshire Scotland, born 1839. She had travelled as a nanny for a family on the same ship and they settled in the Milton area, hence that is where Robert met and married her. I am his Great Grandson, would love answers! :-)

jax

jax Report 15 Jan 2013 02:42

Welcome to the boards Christopher

I am not sure what is on the NZ marriage certs, but does he not mention a father?

Christopher

Christopher Report 15 Jan 2013 04:32

Many thanks for your prompt reply.From the Marriage Certificate I am looking at of their marriage, it seems a very basic one, with only their own names on it. It was very early days in our settled N.Z. history, so perhaps the authorities of the day felt it was sufficient. :-)