Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winifred Fidler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 20 Jan 2013 17:32

My grandmother above born 1903, Ecclesall Bierlow West Riding Yorks , parents Charles, and Ada, brother Harry Sister Edith, was I am told sent out as a twelve year old to be a servant in Malton Yorks.

Is there any way of finding out where in Malton she may have worked? As she was 12 in 1916 she slips through the census record net. Is there any other way of getting the info? I understand that she worked with the children in the nursery , but at 12 that seems a bit ambitious?

Anne H

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Jan 2013 17:34

I don't think there is any way of finding out this information Anne, unfortunately - the best hope is the 1921 census in 8 years' time!

Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Jan 2013 17:54

As Jan says, I don't think you can find this information unless she still works in the same place in the 1921 census, so it will be a long wait.

However I don't think you can rule out the fact that she worked with children in a nursery just because she was only 12. At that time it was legal for girls to marry at 12 with parental consent (although I don't think it happened too often).

Kath. x

Anne

Anne Report 20 Jan 2013 18:29

Thank you folks , I thought that it was a long shot.

Regards

Anne H

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 20 Jan 2013 19:29

The Elementary Education (School Attendance) Act 1893, was amended in 1899 to raise the minimum age you could leave school from 11 to 12, so she could certainly have been out at work at that age.