Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Emigration to Canada to marry.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Terence

Terence Report 21 Jan 2013 06:13

Trying to find Mary Kate Ethel Meads1888, daughter of George Meads1838 and second wife Eliza Hannah Bowler 1859. Mary Kate seems to have left Avonmouth, Bristol on 26th June 1912 on the ship "Royal Edward" arriving at Quebec, Montreal, Canada on 3rd July 1912 and marrying the next day in York, Ontario! She is listed as Kate Meads on page 7 of the passenger lists.
I think she married a Frederick Samuel Barrett 1889, who may have left England before Kate, on the "Carthaginian" departing Liverpool on 20th May 1911.
Fredrerick was a witness at Mary Kate's brother's Levi Meads1884 and Emily Edmunds1887 wedding on 22nd October 1910 in Uxbridge, Middlesex.
"Sylvia in Canada" has helped me before, and being on the spot, I'm hoping she will pick this up and, if she would be so kind as to help with tracing Mary Kate's life in Canada, I would be very grateful. Or, if not, of course, can anyone else help?
Thanking you in anticipation. Terence Meads. South Australia.

K

K Report 21 Jan 2013 06:25

Could this be Kate with husband and children visiting relatives in the UK? Visiting 18 Newland Gardens West Ealing

Name: Mary Kate Barrett
Birth Date: abt 1888
Port of Departure: Quebec, Canada
Arrival Date: 6 Oct 1932
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Quebec
Ship Name: Empress of Britain
Search Ship Database: View the 'Empress of Britain' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Canadian Pacific
Official Number: 162582

Husband listed as Samuel 44 Mechancial Engineer with children Kathleen 4, Rose 16 and Bruce 13

jax

jax Report 21 Jan 2013 06:29

Ontario, Canada, Marriages, 1801-1928
about Mary Kate Ethel Meads
Name: Mary Kate Ethel Meads
Birth Place: Medemhan England
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Father Name: George Meads
Mother Name: Elizabeth Bowler
Spouse Name: Frederick Samuel Barrett
Spouse's Age: 23
Spouse Birth Year: abt 1889
Spouse Birth Place: London, England
Spouse Father Name: Arthur Barrett
Spouse Mother Name: Rose Ann Barrett
Marriage Date: 4 Jul 1912
Marriage County or District: York

Terence

Terence Report 21 Jan 2013 07:14

Hello 'K' and 'Jax'. Thank you so much for the very prompt replies. I was not that sure about Kate's marriage but it is so!
Interesting that the family came back to visit relatives or friends, especially at that time. Was the "depression" over by then? Or was it to live back in England or just a visit I wonder.......
Must get off line for now, but will monitor this column..
Again, many thanks to you both for your help.
Terence. (in South Australia)

Choccy

Choccy Report 21 Jan 2013 07:40

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/index-e.html

Canada, Soldiers of the First World War, 1914-1918

Name: Fred S Barrett
Residence: Bowmanville, Ontario
Birth Date: 14 Dec 1888
Birth Location: London, England
Relative: Mrs Kate Barrett
Relationship: Wife
Regiment Number: 1027100

Terence

Terence Report 21 Jan 2013 08:10

Thanks very much 'Choccy'. Have been just been searching for his family in London and elswhere, but just cannot find them.
I really am going 'off line' now. Will monitor later. Thanks again all of you.
Terence. (In S Australia).

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Jan 2013 08:43

Bowmanville is almost on L Ontario, just E of Oshawa, and maybe 65km ENE of Toronto.
The Canadian census was 1/6/1911 - I think he was missed - not unlikely if he were not yet settled in and still moving around.

Terence

Terence Report 22 Jan 2013 02:33

Thank you 'mgnv', every piece of information helps put the puzzle together.
Terence.