Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Roderick McLeod of Castlebray, Isle of Barra

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 7 Feb 2013 23:32

Posted on behalf of my friend, who IS a member here, but isn't familiar with the procedure.

Her g grandfather was John Duncan McLeod, b 1862, Balvraid, Glenelg, Inverness-shire. His siblings (all born Balvraid) were Sarah 1866-1869, Kenneth 1864-1945, Rebecca 1869-1929, Mary 1857-1892, Donald 1855-1904, Angus 1853-?, Allan 1850-1930, and Anne 1848.

My friend has the will of the above Kenneth McLeod 1864-1945, who died in St Kilda, Wooton Bassett, Wiltshire, unmarried and childless. Apart from a bequest to his housekeeper, he leaves his estate to Duncan McL, nephew, of Leicester, Rebecca McL niece of Belfast, Mary Ann Sharpe (nee McL), niece, wife of Constable Wiliiam Sharpe, Police Station, Glenelg, Mrs Ellen McL, Police Station, Glenelg (but no relationship mentioned), Duncan Cameron, nephew, niece Christine Moffat, and nephew Roderick McL who is also joint Executor, Bank Manager, Isle of Barra.

My friend can connect all of these relatives APART FROM Roderick McLeod. She has no such person in her tree. Duncans, Camerons, Rebeccas abound, but not Rodericks.

The Royal Bank of Scotland has confirmed they had a Roderick McLeod working for them, eventually as a manager, from 1913 to 1945/6 at Castlebray, Isle of Barra. They have no information as to whether he was married.

Does anyone have any ideas how we can determine who he is? The importance is that the will of Kenneth refers to passing on family papers to Roderick.

My friend has sent for the birth cert of the two likely Rodericks on Scotlands People, but his parents do not seem to belong to her family.

I think we are looking for some imagination with this.

Thanks

Margaret

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Feb 2013 23:47

As he was in employment as early as 1913, he must appear on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but, with no idea of when/where he was born, tracing him will be tricky

Assuming that 1945/6 was when he retired, one could speculate on a birth c1880. It's unlikely to have been earlier.........

Dougieb1

Dougieb1 Report 8 Feb 2013 07:34

There is a Roderick McLeod listed on Scotlands People who died in Barra in 1978 aged 80.
An option may be to order this Death Certificate.
This would confirn his parentage,his marriage status, and would give you the name of the person who registered the death.
It then either opens or closes an avenue of research.

Dougie

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Feb 2013 10:02

This is who Dougie is refering to....Born 1898....
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?available=yes&fullname=Roderick%20MacLeod&grave=185519&personid=395337&db=185519

Image details
Image name: 1375
GPR grave number: 185519
Cemetery: Cuier
First name on the monument: Roderick MacLeod
Name requested for this monument: Roderick MacLeod

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 8 Feb 2013 10:04

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1317464

? Related thread....

Hubbard51

Hubbard51 Report 8 Feb 2013 13:07

Roderick MacLeod on the headstone in Barra was born on 24 Mar 1898, South Uist and is the son of Angus McLeod & Marion Currie. The death cert shows died 26 Mar 1978 and his wife was Annie MacKinnon Dec'd. The informant was D J MacLeod son of Kentangaval, Barra.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 8 Feb 2013 19:17

Sorry, I thought the earlier thread had just asked about bank managers on Barra.

Pam, we should get rid of one of these threads - I suggest the other one, as it's not on the best board - though plenty of people have replied to it!

Can someone advise how to do that? I don't want to chop out anyone's hard work and set you all off looking for it again.