Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching USA- take 2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frances

Frances Report 9 Feb 2013 13:54

David Thomas Jones (born 1888), went to the States.
The story (as updated for those who very kindly helped me earlier this week), is that he had gone bankrupt and disappeared. He resurfaced in Washington- I take it D.C.
He had married someone from Carmarthen( I take it that that was before he left) and I assume that she went with him.
In about 1943 or 1944 his son Arthur was serving in the American Army , stationed in the U.K. and visited my grandparents. David was my grandmother's brother.
Arthur had been named after his father's infant brother who died aged 3-don't know when.
A wife( sorry that this is vague), possibly Arthur's wife was a librarian in Washington.
Someone's wife- either Arthur or David if he remarried, had the maiden name of Abel.
In Washington David became successful as a builder of circular staircases.
Am I able to sign up to a similar site to this in the U.S.?
Does anyone know of an archive of librarians in Washington?
Who could I approach to find out more about the circular staircase angle(or curve as the case may be?!)
David's father was Lewis Jones born in 1864 and his mother Sarah Jane Evans born in1863. Both were born in Llanarthney ,Carmarthenshire, Wales.
I am so so grateful to those of you who helped me along this path earlier. Please forgive my fumbling. I really hope that all of you have the sheer thrill of one day finding out something about the family which was hitherto unknown.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Feb 2013 14:49

Wouldn't it have been better to add this to your thread earlier this week? Where is that thread? You didn't delete it, did you?

Frances

Frances Report 9 Feb 2013 15:19

My thread died and I couldn't get any more responses. Then yesterday and today I have had more information which means that the earlier thread was inaccurate-particularly as to the name of the person I was looking for. I am quite happy to add this to that but I had the feeling that no-one was able to help further on the question I asked there.
Do you still think I should add to it?
Many thanks for your pointer.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Feb 2013 15:46

Frances, it helps us greatly if everything is on one thread. If there's anything that's inaccurate it just needs to be noted. Otherwise, if you start again then that same inaccurate info could just get dredged up again.

Frances

Frances Report 9 Feb 2013 16:07

O. K-. the inaccuracies were mine- the name was wrong but I will . Thank you.

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Feb 2013 00:45

I'll post on old thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1319048