Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

May Botting or Emily Botting/Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 2 Mar 2013 18:28

I am trying to locate relatives or descendants of my aunt Emily or aunt May, both of whom lived in Sussex probably in Haywards Heath . Emily probably married a man named John Botting. One or other of them had a daughter who might have been named Marian and the other had a son, of course there may have been other children as well. I think there was also a brother named Herbert but I'm not sure. My name is Ken, but as a child I was known as Micky and had a sister named Babs. I think my aunt's maiden name might have been Williams, but since my father used the names Davies AND Williams, I'm not sure. I know that in the early 1950's a lady used to come to visit from Wales and she was referred to as "nanny Williams", she was my father's mother. My mother and father were John and Mary Davies. My mother had married "beneath her station" and became estranged from her family for marrying my father, hence the possible name change....I think they decided to become anonymous. We did have fairly regular contact with my father's sisters and visited them in Haywards Heath, but apart from the fact that they lived within walking distance of each other I have no other recollections...it was the early to mid 1950's and I was a young boy. Oh! Since my father and mother were born in about 1909 and 1913 respectively, I would presume that Emily and May were also born around 1905 to 1920-ish, they would have lived in Haywards from the 1940's on through the 1960's certainly.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Mar 2013 18:37

.......and Emily's and May's birth surname was...?????

When were they born?

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Mar 2013 18:39

??

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1929 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Botting John C T Williams Lewes 2b 452
Williams Emily Botting Lewes 2b 452

Andy

patchem

patchem Report 2 Mar 2013 20:11

Is this Emily's death?
Emily Botting
Birth Date: 8 Jan 1909
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1981
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Haywards Heath
Inferred County: West Sussex
Volume: 18
Page: 2137

Why were they both called Botting if only one of them married Mr Botting?

?
John Charles T Botting
Birth Date: 22 Jul 1909
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1980
Age at Death: 71
Registration district: Cuckfield
Inferred County: West Sussex
Volume: 18
Page: 1785

Penny

Penny Report 2 Mar 2013 20:52

So there must have been another sibling from which you are descended.

who is/was that?

patchem

patchem Report 2 Mar 2013 21:13

Only Marian Botting appears to have been born in 1955.
Please can we have some dates?

Gee

Gee Report 2 Mar 2013 21:20

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1261939

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Mar 2013 23:11

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1320622

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Mar 2013 23:26

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1320623

Mike *

Mike * Report 2 Mar 2013 23:48

Kenneth you may find it difficult to keep track of all the replies over 3 separate threads.

The guidelines state that you should only post one thread per family to avoid duplication of research.

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 3 Mar 2013 11:06

To Gwyn, Andrew, Andy, penny, Mike and especially Patchem, I thank you for your responses,which are most helpful...I am new to this procedure and am aware that I'm not much good at it, I have added a few bits as they came to me. I had put both sisters as Botting since I thought the name might register with someone.

patchem

patchem Report 3 Mar 2013 11:52

Have you got your parents' marriage certificate? (What is your Mother's maiden name?)
If not, do you know when and where they married so you can apply for it?
Looking for John Williams born in Wales in about 1909 is not realistic.

The death that I found for Emily Botting gave her birth date as Jan. 1909, if she never had a middle name then one of these
Births Mar 1909
WILLIAMS Emily Holywell 11b 163
WILLIAMS Emily Llanelly 11a 1311
WILLIAMS Emily Holywell 11b 174

patchem

patchem Report 3 Mar 2013 14:07

From a pm received, Kenneth's Mother's name was Mary Ena (Hirst), so is this her death?
Mary Ena Davies
Birth Date: 15 Mar 1915
Date of Registration: Nov 1998
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: West Surrey
Inferred County: Surrey
Register Number: B5B
District and Subdistrict: 7611B
Entry number: 235

Added: Looks like this birth, from Kenneth's tree
Births Jun 1915
Hirst Mary E Richards Pontypool 11a 363

The pm also said that his father died in 1957, but there are a variety of places and ages, if the death below, then such a young age:
John Davies
Birth Date: abt 1908
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1957
Age at Death: 49
Registration district: Surrey South Western
Inferred County: Surrey
Volume: 5g
Page: 918

I think Kenneth was born in 1939, in London.

I cannot see his parents' marriage.

You may need to purchase the Williams/Botting certificate for details of their Father.
Could he have also changed his name to John, along with the surname change?