Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis George Walsh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 20 Mar 2013 23:48

Please help. Francis was born in Cavan, Ireland in 1861, married my gt. grandmother, Emily Learoyd, appeared on the 1881 census and then disappeared from view. On the 1891 census Emily was alone but described herself as married. She later married her lodger and described herself as a widow. No records found of his death or buriel. Did Francis go back to Ireland, emigrate or die? I would love to know.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 21 Mar 2013 08:24

Gillian....Did Emily and FG marry in the UK.. as so far I cannot find a marriage for this couple...??
Can you post where they were living 1881 Census the only FGW from the Co Caven (abt 1861) I can see was living Hunslet Leeds but wife not Emily...?

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 21 Mar 2013 08:39

West Yorkshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1935
about Francis George Walsh
Name: Francis George Walsh (Batchelor) Currier.....2 Balm Street
Birth Year: abt 1862
Marriage or Bann Date: 24 Feb 1884
Parish: Hunslet, St Jude
Father's Name: James Walsh (Painter)
Spouse's Name: Emily Learoyd (Spinster) 3 Alse Street
Spouse's Father's Name: Squire Learoyd (Inne? Keeper)
Witnesses: William Walker and Joseph Higglesworth

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 21 Mar 2013 09:19

Thank You PricklyHolly...I mis read Gillian's post ..I took it to be "they" were married by 1881 Census..

How about this Death....

Registered March Quarter 1887.

**Welsh** Frank 25 Leeds 9b 335

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Mar 2013 14:25

Hello Gillian and welcome to the Community boards.

It may be worthwhile clicking on Search (above) and then entering Francis' details into the Search All Trees box. It looks as though several people on this site have him in their tree. Cx

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Mar 2013 13:47

Hello All.

Sorry to have been so long in getting back - we have had internet connection problems.

First of all I apologise for not giving more details in my original posting.
What I have is as follows.

Francis George Walsh baptised 1861 in Cavan Ireland. Parents Elizabeth and James (described as a Butler). This is a good fit apart from the occupation. I suppose that he might have become a painter when he came to England.
On the 1881 census Francis was living with his mother Elizabeth (widow) in Balm Terrace, Hunslet Leeds. He was a Leather Currier.

He married Emily Learoyd 24 Feb. 1884 (Incidentally her father Squire Learoyd was a Time Keeper on the Railway)
Children: Lucy born 16 May 1884
Emily born 1885 died 1892
There is no father on the birth certificate for Gertrude born 10 June 1887

All the children were born in Hunslet and were baptised on 7 September 1887 in St Peter's Hunslet. Their father's name is given as Francis George (waiter -that was a surprise!.

On the 1891 census Emily describes herself as Married. She was living in Grosvenor Terrace, Hunslet. Her future husband Robert Bland is also living there as a lodger.

She subsequently married Robert Bland in 1893 and on the marriage certificate is described as a widow.

So was Francis still alive in 1887 or not? If he was, why no father's name on the birth certificate for Gertrude (my grandmother) but his name appears in the baptism details. (There is a somewhat similar occurence in another branch of our family when it looks as if the mother would not lie to the registry office but did not like to admit her 'error' to the vicar!). I also wonder if because Francis had died she didn't think to tell the registrar his name? Who knows?

What intriques me is was she a widow or a bigamist. Was Francis dead, a 'cuckold' or just 'disappeared' by the time Emily married Robert?

I have looked in other family trees as suggested by Cynthia. Thank you. However, he appears in trees related to my family but with no more details than I have at the moment. (Data was probably gleaned from me originally anyway)

Thank you very much, PricklyHolly, for finding **Welsh** Frank 25 Leeds 9b 335 (March qtr. 1887) I have been looking at this entry and also other entries for Frank Welsh/Walsh in the censuses and this looks a possible. However, I think I need to do some more checking before spending my £10 for a certificate. The problem is of course, the difficulty of multiple spellings and forms for the same name.

I hope that the above is fairly clear.

I do apologise if I have wasted peoples time in looking up details I already have. I really should have included more in my posting. Sorry!

I would be very grateful if anyone has more ideas about what happened to my (possible) great grandfather.

Thank you once again for your interest and help.

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Jun 2013 17:12

Just thought I'd let you know that I acted on Eringobragh1916 suggestion and got a death certificate. Unfortunately, the man was not my Francis George Walsh. Actually, he was Frank Walsh - also known as O'Hara.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep trying. Any more suggestions as to how to proceed would be gratefully received.