Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Aubrey Frederick John Stafford b.1906 Glos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

elizabeth

elizabeth Report 23 Mar 2013 11:52

I'm new to GenesReunited yesterday and am not entirely sure of how to do this yet! I've been searching for my great uncle Aubrey Frederick John Stafford( who went under the name we think of Frederick) for over a year now. The family said that he dissappeared in the 1930's/1940's? We now have a marriage certificate for him for 1933 where he married a Mildred Willsher in Stroud Gloustershire England. He signed his name as' Fredick' on the register and his fathers name was filled in by someone as his own name i.e Aubrey Frederick John Stafford. Was this a mistake or deliberate deception? His name has also come up as' Rubrey' on a recent reply that I've had. We think that Aubrey and Mildred had a daughter Hazel J Stafford b. 1936 in Stroud, Glos and a second child Pamela A b.1939 but I have been unsuccessful in tracing marriages/deaths for them. We have some photos of who we think is Aubrey and know that his nickname was Sandy because of his reddish hair. We are also told that he had a shocking temper and when he disappeared the police were already looking for him for reasons of their own! The photo we think is of him was taken in 1934 on his bother Georges 18th birthday and this is the last date that we think we have for him still being around. His wife Mildred died in 1941. How did she die and what happened to their two daughters is something that we want to know. There is a mention in a family letter from the 40's of a Fred possibly joining the R.A.F but we have not found a record for him joining up either. I've even been investigating the famous 'Somerton Man' case as there are some similarities between the two men and we know that there were Staffords in Australia on The Gold Coast. Any help and information would be really gratefully recieved.
Liz Simons

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 11:55

The following site is excellent........

http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/bmd/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 11:57

Birth

STAFFORD Aubrey Frederick J STAFFORD STAFFORD POPE 1906 Cirencester Northleach, Bibury 16 401

Parents

Groom Surname Groom Forename Bride Surname Bride Forename District Parish Building Year Register Entry
STAFFORD Daniel Frederick Fryer POPE Ida Violet Cirencester Elkstone St John 1901 1

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 12:00

To find out 'how' Mildred died, buy her death cert. cause of death will be recorded

The odds are that the daughters were put up for adoption, unless any of their father's numerous siblings took them in and cared for them. Or perhaps their mother had relatives who cared for them...............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 12:08

FMP shows two marriages for Hazel J..........neither is in Glos.

One is in Coventry, where, coincidentally, there is also a marriage for a Pamela A

If you wish, I will send the details to you by PM.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 12:10

Births Dec 1905 (>99%)
Willsher Mildred Smith Stroud 6a 344

Deaths Mar 1941 (>99%)
Stafford Mildred 36 Stroud 6a 1238

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 12:48

Just re-read your post.......

He must have been 'around' after 1934 if the children were his

elizabeth

elizabeth Report 23 Mar 2013 13:46

Dear Reggie,
Thankyou for your reply. I'd really appreciate the information from FMP ( I'm not sure what this is yet, I'll go and try and find out in a minute). I'd be really grateful if you can send the information about Hazels and Pamelas marriages though as I've not been able to find them myself.
Many thanks
Liz

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Mar 2013 13:59

Someone called Graham has Aubrey in his tree on here. Go to 'search Trees' at the top of this page and follow the instructions.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Mar 2013 14:10

Found this but birth would have been about 1892. Was there another Aubrey Stafford?

Births* marriages, Deaths, and memoriam One Shilling is charged for the first 12 words or less, and Id for every

—JuIy 15, Aubrey Stafford, aged 44 years (commercial traveller), of Clifton, Bristol. No flowers or mourning.

Western Daily Press
South West, England
17/07/1936
Family Notice

EDIT ...yes there was another Aubrey the is probably a connection

Aubrey Stafford
England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900
christening: 21 Aug 1892 Clifton, St Andrew, Gloucestershire, England
residence: 21 Aug 1892 Gloucestershire, Clifton, St Andrew
parents: John James Stafford, Ellen Stafford

Mary

Mary Report 23 Mar 2013 14:12

Aubrey F J Stafford J/F/M 1906 Gloucesteshire.

Aubrey James Stafford A/M/J 1906 Northamptonshire.

Aubrey James Stafford died Northamptonshire 1959

Someone has put the death of the above in a tree on Ancestry as the one born in Gloucesterhire,so clearly it is wrong.

Maryb.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2013 14:19

The 1936 death was before the births of his daughters - assuming they were his, of course.

This is that perrson's birth.......

Births Sep 1892 (>99%)
Stafford Aubrey Barton R. 6a 50

Graham

Graham Report 27 Apr 2013 20:48

Hi Liz. I've only just noticed your thread here. I hope the research is going well. It's been a little while since we last spoke, but I just had a thought. Our great grandfather often went by the name Frederick (one of his middle names). This is probably a silly question; but you don't suppose they just put his and Aubreys names the wrong way around on that certificate? ;-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Apr 2013 22:59

Hello Graham, what you're suggesting is a possibility.

It's only a month since Liz posted but in case she's not checking regularly for replies you could click on her name to send a personal message.

elizabeth

elizabeth Report 28 Apr 2013 17:41

Dear Graham,
thanks for your reply. I'm afraid I've not had time to pursue Aubrey further at the moment but I will carry on as soon as I have some time. Aubrey had signed his name on the marriage certificate as' Fredick'. Is he using a nickname or can he not spell his own name? The registrar seems to have filled in Aubrey's name instead of Aubrey's father, as I said previously this could be a mistake or deception on Aubrey's part!
What I have done since my last contact is go to Oxford to met up with Pamela( Great Aunt Dibby's daughter). I am also now in contact with great uncle Edward Stafford daughter Lindsay so hopefully more photographs and information might be forthcoming. The only information either relative was able to give about Aubrey was that Edward told his daughter that Aubrey might have gone to Scotland?
I'll let you know if more comes to light!
Best Wishes
Liz

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Apr 2013 17:48

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1321849

Graham

Graham Report 3 May 2013 13:41

Okay. I now have a copy of the marriage certificate; so I can see what you mean. It says Frederick John Stafford was married in January 1933 at the age of 26. It says his father was Aubrey Frederick John Stafford. We know that Aubrey was born in 1906. Father & son could not possibly be the same age. It's certainly puzzling :-S