Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree - Flower / Townsend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 21:19

Hi there,

I am attempting to do some genealogy for a friend of mine.

Her mother is Christine Flower (1948) and was born in York. Christine's father was James Flower (1923) and his brother was Alan Flower (birth unknown), however I can not find birth records for them!

My friend told me that she believes they changed their surname from Townsend to Flower (no idea why) and that their mother was called Mary (my friend has no idea what her name was). Mary married a Bernard Townsend (again I can not find a marriage record).

Any help with tracking them or any advice of where to locate useful resources would be greatly appreciated.

Ellenxx :-S

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Apr 2013 21:38

I assume you have found Christine's birth in York on freebmd with mother's maiden name.

So is it just her father james and his brother you are searching for ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2013 21:43

Marriage information removed as it has been sent by pm.

Kath. x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 5 Apr 2013 21:48

Any idea when and where Bernard and Mary died ?

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 21:50

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am searching for a birth record for Christine's father James Townsend/Flower he was born in 1923 and in Yorkshire.I have spread the search out further and still have not found nothing.

I have also tried to tally James' brother - Alan Townsend/Flower up by trying to locate the same mothers maiden name (we have no idea what her maiden name is) and again I have found nothing

I can't even find similar spelt names :S

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Apr 2013 21:52

I PM'd the above 1947 marriage as they may still be living.
( my mother was maried in 1947 and is still with us)

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 21:58

Mary died in 1979 in York and James Flower died in 2008.

Christine and Lawrence (my friends parents) are still around but they know so little about the Flower / Townsend family.

We would love to learn more about James' parents

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2013 21:58

Are you sure the brother was definitely called Alan?

There is a James Townsend born the correct year in Sheffield and what might be a brother born 1927 in Sheffield but his name is Arthur. Mother's maiden name is Parker.

Kath. x

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 22:09

Hi Kath,

It is Alan, but I suppose back in the day they could have changed their name. Can you find a marriage record for Parker and Townsend as I cant seem to find one. I have been told James' mothers first name is definitely Mary.

Ellenx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2013 22:11

No - I couldn't find a marriage either.

What makes your friend sure her father was born in 1923?

Kath. x

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 22:13

She said he was born in 1923, however I have broaden the search to 10 years, but I still can't find anything. (Head hits table) :-S

Ellen x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Apr 2013 22:15

I can only find one marriage in Yorkshire between 1911 and 2005 for a Bernard Townsend. The bride was Mary Booth but the marriage wasn't until 1945.

EDIT - forget that, there are lots of other marriages with the surname spelt Townend.

Kath. x

Ellen

Ellen Report 5 Apr 2013 22:24

Hi Kath,

I shall pass this info onto my friend and see if this is the correct date. I will get back to you by the morning x

patchem

patchem Report 5 Apr 2013 23:10

Just to check, is this a correct death?
Mary Flower
Birth Date: 22 Nov 1892
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1980
Age at Death: 87
Registration district: York
Volume: 2
Page: 3189

If so, she was almost 30 at birth of son, so could have been married before.

Added:
What age was James at death in 2008?
And do you know Bernard's occupation from son's marriage certificate?
Thanks

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 6 Apr 2013 08:40

The only death I can see for a Mary Townsend in 1979 in Yorkshire, is in Sheffield. Is this her?

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2006
about Mary Alice Townsend
Name: Mary Alice Townsend
Birth Date: 29 Jun 1906
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1979
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Sheffield
Inferred County: South Yorkshire
Volume: 3
Page: 1481

patchem

patchem Report 6 Apr 2013 09:36

Christina,
I had assumed from the OP that they were now known as Flower, so Mary would have died as Mary Flower.
The death that I posted could have been in December 1979, and not registered until 1980, to fit in with the information given about the death in 1979 in York

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 6 Apr 2013 10:47

Yes Patchem, looking at the death you've posted above, I'm sure you're right.

I was confused (this often happens) I'd taken it that the boys were given the name Townsend because their mother married a Townsend, but their birth father's name was Flowers.

Please make allowances - I didn't sleep well last night :-)

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 6 Apr 2013 11:02

As James is no longer alive, is it okay for us to know who James named as his father on his marriage certificate?