Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

charles and joan callaghan nee goscombe

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dion

dion Report 11 Apr 2013 23:13

hi were would i or should i say how would i find out my grandparents burial place as far as i no they both lived in halifax but i wouldnt no were to start ?? they married in 1947 had 2 children susan and pat ,joan died in 1954 and charles later went on to remarry?? joan was 29 when she died and charles i no nothing about only i think he was irish and went on to have more children ?? mary and frank walker adopted susan and pat when joan died as mary was joans sister .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Apr 2013 23:35

Is this Joan's Death reg?

Joan W Callaghan
Birth Date: abt 1925
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1954
Age at Death: 29
Registration district: Calder
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 2b
Page: 301

This link gives the parishes covered by Calder
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/calder.html

If you don't have it already, it might be worth buying it to find out the 'normal address'. The next step would be to internet search for council cemeteries within the Borough/District.

If you *know* the family followed a particular religion, then it might be worth looking for relevant church graveyards.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Apr 2013 00:14

There is another thread about these names...............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1322553

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Apr 2013 00:15

You say you know 'Nothing' about Charles.

If you were to buy their MC, then it will give his declared age, occupation, as well as the name of his father if known and his occupation. The witnesses, if not from the Goscombe side, might be some of his relatives.

Their marriage ref from freebmd

Marriages Dec 1947 (>99%)
Goscombe Joan Callaghan Halifax vol 2b page 1358

You probably know already, but just to be sure, purchase BMD certs from the register office where registered, or http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ for £9.25 inc P&P

Edit - Darn it! Thanks Reggie

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Apr 2013 14:58

Hello,

It may be worthwhile putting the names and details you have into the Search All Trees box (click on Search above).

That will show you if anyone on this site has any of them in their tree.

If you find any connections, you have the option of contacting the tree owners to see if they know anything. Good luck.

Relatively new poster. Friendly message on how to return to threads sent. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Apr 2013 15:08

Celine returned to her other thread, and it is 'marked as answered'

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 12 Apr 2013 15:24

Never mind. Hopefully my message may jog her memory to look at this thread too. :-)

dion

dion Report 11 Aug 2013 16:49

thanklyou i just cant get the hang of it all yet :-)