Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Help - Maria Sarah Lamontagne, Quebec

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 7 May 2013 19:38

My 4 x great grandmother was born in Quebec on 24th July 1779. She was baptised on 25th July 1779. She left Canada and married my 4 x great grandfather, Walter Russell, on 24th April 1799 in St Swithins Church, Walcott, Bath, Somerset. She died in Bath in 1859. I cannot find any reference to her on GR BMD. What I am most interested in is her life in Canada. Her father was Pierre Lamontagne and her mother Marie Pine. Any help greatly appreciated.

Anne Coletta

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 7 May 2013 19:46

Hello Anne, don't know if I've misread this - but she must have had children if she's your 4xgreat grandmother.

Are you trying to find children other than your 3xgreat grandparent?

(Could you delete your duplicate thread?)

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 May 2013 20:05

1851 for ref

1851 England Census
about Sarah Russell
Name: Sarah Russell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1780
Relation: Head
Where born: Quebec, Canada

Civil parish: Walcot
Ecclesiastical parish: Walcot St Swithin
County/Island: Somerset

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability: View image

Registration district: Bath
Sub-registration district: Lyncombe
ED, institution, or vessel: 1j
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 82
Piece: 1942
Folio: 546
Page Number: 20
Household Members: Name Age
Sarah Russell 71
Thomas Horeldy 22

Andy

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 May 2013 20:10

Possible 1841?

1841 England Census
about Waller Russell
Name: Waller Russell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1781
Where born: Somerset, England

Civil parish: Walcot
Hundred: Bath Forum
County/Island: Somerset

Street Address:

Registration district: Bath
Sub-registration district: Lansdown
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 970
Book: 7
Folio: 28
Page Number: 21
Household Members: Name Age
Waller Russell 60
Sarah Russell 60
Emma Russell 2

Andy

Anne

Anne Report 7 May 2013 20:14

How stupid of me. I didn't mean she had no children I meant the only info I found were birth records.

What I am interested in is her life in Canada before she came to Bath. My history is not that good but as they were of French extraction I think there was a war going on in Quebec.between the French and English.

Anne

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 May 2013 02:34

Exactly where was she born - which parish?
Was she born in Quebec City, or just the province of Quebec?

The Seven Years War - alt the French and Indian War was 1756-63. The French were largely conquered in N America by 1760 - the last action in N America was the retaking of St John's Newfoundland after an 1862 French raid. As a result of the Treaty of Paris 1763, the French gave up nerrly all claims in N America. They still retained some fishing rights off Newfoundland & Labrador, plus title to St Pierre et Miquelon, 2 small islands off the Newfoundland coast which are still an overseas dept of France.

Britain insisted that America bear some of the cost of this war. This caused a lot of resentment as the people they were proposing to tax had no say in the matter - this and the fact the French threat had been removed were significant factors in causing the War of the American Revolution 1775-83. Although Quebec was invaded by the USA in 1775, and Montreal captured, the American assault on Quebec city on 31 Dec 1775 was a disastrous defeat, and the ensuing siege was quite unsuccessful, and the poorly supplied besiegers had a much worse time of it than the besieged. When Gen Burgoyne and several thousand British, Hanoverian and German troops arrived in May, the starving besiegers fled back to the US. Burgoyne in turn would invade the US, suffer a disasterous defeat, and thereafter, mostly it was just frontier raids, often by Indian allies of both sides - well, at least as far as Quebec was concerned.

Anne

Anne Report 9 May 2013 10:27

Thanks for your message. The only information I have is that her Grandfather Charles Etienne Lamontagne was born in 1720 in St Andre des Arts, Paris. Her father Pierre born 1759 in Quebec and Maria Sarah born 24th July 1779 in Quebec. Would you suggest I obtain a copy of her marriage and death certificates?

Anne

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 May 2013 18:51

Anne - since you gave an exact date for her birth, I assumed you had a parochial baptism record for her.

I had a look for Lamontagne's at
Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967

View Record Name Event Event Year Location Place of Worship or Institution View Images

I got hits for birth year 1779 +/-0
View Record Marie Sara Lamontagne event info location info
View Record Marie Sara Lamontagne event info location info
birth year 1759 +/-0 and 3 hits for marr year 1777 +/-2
View Record Pierre Lamontagne event info location info
marr year 1749 +/-10 and 3 hits for burial year 1778 +/-20
View Record Charles Lamontagne event info location info

As you can tell,

*** I DON'T HAVE AN ANCESTRY SUB ***

Consequently, I can't tell if these are your mob, or even related to one another.

I think you need help from someone with a world Ancestry sub - ideally, they could post the church/location and other details from the transcription, and also send you the images, which will probly be in French so translation is another matter.

I would go back and edit your first post - leve the body as is, but change the thread title to:

Ancestry help - Maria Sarah Lamontagne, Quebec

(also fixing the spelling).

==========================
I once found another double hit for baptism year 1908 +/-1
View Record Clarence John Minchinton event info location

This kid was actually my dad's cousin's wife's nephew.
They weren't RC entries, but for Gaspé Anglican.
The first record said Clarence John, s/o ... of (place) was born 6/9/1908 and baptized 30/9/1908.
The second wasn't really a baptism record, but said Clarence John, s/o etc, having been privately baptized, was received into the church 15/7/1909, and had the signatures of his godparents or their proxies.

Marie Sara seems more likely than Maria Sarah, but I wonder abt the 2 entries.
I'm not familiar enough with RC practice to make a guess at the possible circumstances.

Anne

Anne Report 9 May 2013 19:25

Hi mgnv

Thank you so much for all your trouble. I have taken on board all the suggestions and will firstly do a new thread.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Anne.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2013 10:52

Hi Anne, what records do you already have seeing as you have her baptism date? I've had a dig around on Ancestry to see if I could get any more detail on the records mgnv got hits on.

Name: Marie Sara Lamontagne
Event: Baptême (Baptism)
Baptism Year: 1777-1782
Baptism Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Notre-Dame

The writing on this is atrocious, as is my French, so I'm not 100% of the info. Looks like this one was the daughter of Pierre Lamontagne and Marie Pine or Marie June, baptised 1779.

If you don't have this record then I'll send it by pm.

EDIT: There seems to be 2 separate records, both with the same info.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2013 10:56

Hmm, this seems to be a 1779 burial for a child of the same name, with the same parents names? Again, though, I can't make head nor tail of the writing.

Name: Marie Sara Lamontagne
Event: Enterrement (Burial)
Burial Year: 1777-1782
Burial Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2013 11:12

This *might* be the baptism of Pierre, it looks like 1759. Son of Charles Lamontagne and Catherine Rainie???

Name: Pierre Lamontagne
Event: Baptême (Baptism)
Baptism Year: 1759-1769
Baptism Location: Quebec (Quebec City), Québec (Quebec)

I'm sure I can see the word soldier in there - "soldier de la campaigne de Boishabers???"

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 May 2013 11:25

What I would suggest is that Anne takes a 14 day free trial of Ancestry taking the worldwide option (you have to give your card details but just remember to cancel when you've finished looking).

There are trees which have Charles Etienne Lamontagne married to Marie Catherine Racine but the only child named is a Francois. However, they may have just followed a particular line.

Anne

Anne Report 12 May 2013 14:52

Hi there

You must have spent an awful lot of time on this research and I am so grateful. I obtained a lot of information from my cousin and apparently there were two daughters named Maria Sarah. The eldest died not long after her birth and their second daughter was also named Maria Sarah but she was known as Sarah. My cousin, Michael Russell, did forward a copy of the Baptism certificate and like you my French is not all that good and the writing was atrocious!! I definitely will get a sub for Ancestry and trawl through their records. I have had contact with a GR member regarding the family and will follow that through.

Once again,many thanks for all your help.

Sincerely,
Anne Coletta

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 May 2013 15:51

Following on from MC's post, I can now find the images - well some, so far, it's pretty slow because a) my French is rusty, and was never that good to begin with; b) there were 7 soccer games on Sun, and I can't watch and work on this simultaneously. Anyways, the images are at:

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=CANADA

So far I've gotten 3 for Marie Sara(s), and 1 for Pierre, but only translated 1.

Quebec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979 > Québec > Notre-Dame-de-Québec > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1777-1785 > Image 97 of 435

Le Vingt Cinq Juillet mil Sept Cent Soixante dix neuf par nous vicaire
de quebec Soussignè avèté baptisé Marie Sara née l'hier du legitime
Mariage de pierre la montagne et sa Marie pine, le parein
avèté pierre feluet et la Mareine genevieve bileau, qu'ont tous
Declare ne seavoir signer.

The twenty fifth July One thousand seven hundred seventy nine by our vicar
of Quebec undersigned was baptized Marie Sara born yesterday of a legitimate
marriage of Pierre La Montagne and his wife Pine, the godfather
was Pieere Feluet and the godmother Genevieve Bileau, who all
declared they did not know how to sign.

B
Quebec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979 > Québec > Notre-Dame-de-Québec > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1777-1785 > Image 26 of 435

Sep
Quebec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979 > Québec > Notre-Dame-de-Québec > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1777-1785 > Image 50 of 435

B Pierre
Quebec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979 > Québec > Notre-Dame-de-Québec > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1759-1768 > Image 15 of 599

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 May 2013 19:30

B Pierre
Quebec, Catholic Parish Registers, 1621-1979 > Québec > Notre-Dame-de-Québec > Baptêmes, mariages, sépultures 1759-1768 > Image 15 of 599

[L???] mars mil Sept Cent cinqante neuf par
nous vicaire soussigné a été baptisé Pierre né le meme
jour du legitime mariage de Charles Lamontagne
[???] Catherine Racine son Epouse. Le parein a été Pierre
martin dit LaJoye Soldat de la Companie de Boisbebere
soussigné et la mareine Elizabeth Racine [lagcielle] ainsi
queleperson a declaré ne savoir signer.
martin
Vizien Picaire

The [???] March One thousand seven hundred fifty nine by
our vicar undersigned baptized Pierre born the same
day of a legitimate marriage of Charles Lamontagne
[???] Catherine Racine his wife. The godfather was Pierre
Martin dit LaJoye soldier of la Companie de Boisbebere
undersigned and the godmother Elizabeth Racine [???] also
someone that declared they did not know how to sign.

martin
Vizien Picaire

I've long been puzzled by the use of dates in Ancestry's Drouin search screen.
I don't get the above hit if I search with a date for marrs or burials, which is as it should be.
However, if I search for baptisms with any exact year in the range 1759-1769, I get the above hit.
Clearly, they're taking the date from the register range rather than the entry itself in this case.

I can't guess [lagcielle] - I was very tempted to transcribe it as logicielle - I don't know if the word exists, but I could then translate that as computer programmer - sure beats the usual Ag Lab - or Journalier in this case.

mgnv

mgnv Report 13 May 2013 19:33

There is a marr of Charles Lamontagne & Catherine Racine that appears in some rego that covers 1752.

However, I can't guess where that register's from.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 May 2013 20:17

mgnv - shall I send you that image?

EDIT: Sent it anyhow!

Anne

Anne Report 14 May 2013 09:19

Hi All

Thank you so much for all the information that you have found for me. I have had contact from a member of GR from Canada who uses PRDH at University of Montreal. It is a sub. site but seems very comprehensive.

Once again thank you so much.

Anne