Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding mothers relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2013 20:48

My mother died when all 5 of her children were 9 months -9yrs of age. She was from England and emigrated to U.S. sometime in the 50's so we lost contact with any relatives in the U.K. ... What we know Her name Mary Teresa Williams She was born in Birkenhead in Nov.1928 died feb. 1972 in Anchorage Ak She had two brothers we think their names were Vincent, and John E. and a sister we think was named Marie B. Thank you anyone for any help you might be able to give -
DAVID KULLBERG

Researching:

Fredk

Fredk Report 16 May 2013 20:59

Is this her

Birth Record
Name Mary T Williams
Year of Registration 1928
Quarter of Registration Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District Birkenhead
Registration County Cheshire
Mother's maiden name Rourke
Volume Number 8A
Volume Page 692

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 21:01

Births Dec 1928

Williams Mary T- Rourke - Birkenhead 8a 692

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 May 2013 21:01

Births Dec 1928

Williams Mary T ....Rourke .... Birkenhead 8a 692

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Look on freebmd for other children born in that area with same surname and mother's maiden name of ROURKE.

Check on this GR site in SEARCH TREES too to see if anyone has a match for any siblings or extended family.
You can click on their name, delete the auto message and write one of your own explaining your interest.
Gwyn

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 21:04

Have sent PM with siblings births

Fredk

Fredk Report 16 May 2013 21:08

Have sent you PM re siblings

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 21:08

Most likely marriage although there is another Williams/Rourke marriage but later

Marriages Sep 1926
Rourke Catherine -Williams- Birkenhead 8a 1471
Williams Edward - Rourke- Birkenhead 8a 1471

patchem

patchem Report 16 May 2013 21:27

David knows who the parents are, as that is who he is researching.

This is the slightly later duplicate post.

The original, awaiting reply from David

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1324926

Fredk

Fredk Report 16 May 2013 21:27

GR Version

Birth Record
Name Mary T Williams
Year of Registration 1928
Quarter of Registration Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District Birkenhead
Mother's maiden name Rourke
Volume Number 8A
Volume Page 692

Fredk

Fredk Report 16 May 2013 21:42

Did Mary Teresa Williams marry in the UK before she emigrated as I came across this

Marriage Record
Name Mary T Williams
Year of Marriage 1947
Quarter of Marriage Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District Macclesfield
Spouse's Surname Taylor
Volume Number 10A
Volume Page 1004

Spouse Match: Mary T WILLIAMS married Ernest H TAYLOR
Name Ernest H Taylor
Year of Marriage 1947
Quarter of Marriage Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration District Macclesfield
Spouse's Surname Williams
Volume Number 10A
Volume Page 1004

Mike *

Mike * Report 16 May 2013 21:54

Sorry, where does it say that the poster knows who Mary's parents are ?
I must have missed that.

So could we have confirmation of their names and dates of birth.

Could also do with knowing exactly what info is wanted by " finding mother's relatives "

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 May 2013 05:05

First Thank you all for your help....now lets see if I can answer some questions .....1. I feel that is her birth record 8a-692,
2. not sure if she had been married before emigrating, if so we know nothing of it .
3. not sure if that is Grandparents Marriage information it might be (Older brother b.1927 I think)
I know I will have a hard time of it trying to find mothers history and family knowing so little, and living a world away, but I wish to thank each and everyone of you for your help and questions.

Mike *

Mike * Report 17 May 2013 05:17

Start with birth cert which will confirm parents names.

If they turn out to be Edward and Catherine then their marriage cert is next step.
This would give you their ages and father's names.

Should then be able to find them on 1911 census

patchem

patchem Report 17 May 2013 07:03

Unknown is:
'Researching:
Williams, Rourke '
so knows all the possible births.
As there are several with that combination, theoretically they could belong to different couples, but 4 fit one pattern with prior marriage of parents.
If you are unsure of any family history, which means you have no false stories to mislead you, then work back slowly and carefully.
Certificates for confirmation.

mgnv

mgnv Report 17 May 2013 09:36

David - I don't know if you have your mum's m.cert and d.cert, nor what info is contained on an AK d.cert, nor an m.cert from whatever state it was.
What you really need to know next is your grandparents' forenames. Maybe you know this already from your dad.
If you're not certain, you need to buy Mary's b.cert and then, assuming we've all guessed right, Ed & Kate's m.cert.
You should buy these online thru the GRO - each cert costs just under US$15 and includes postage - from:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Other posts have given the GRO ref info, and you'll need to quote that on your order.

One can also buy BMD certs from the local office that now holds the rego's (Wirral RD here) - the local office holds the B & D rego's the informant actually signed, as well as the registrar's own marr rego, which in 1926 would contain rego office marrs and RC marrs the registrar had to attend as RCs weren't authorized to keep marr rego's until the 1980s.
However, most local offices don't scan their rego's, but just make a copy for you. The GRO has copies of the rego's made at the time, and they send printed images of their copies.

The reason I mention that is that some local offices have their own indexes online - see:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/local_bmd

In particular, http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/
The local and GRO indexes don't have precisely the same info, e.g., here's your mum (mistranscribed as William):

Cheshire Birth indexes for the years: 1927 to 1929
Surname Forename(s) Sub-District Registers At Mother's Maiden Name Reference
WILLIAM Mary Teresa Birkenhead Wirral ROURKE BIR/324/71

Here we see her midname, and that she was rego'ed in Birkenhead subdistrict, as distinct from Tranmere or Wallasey sibdistricts, the other subdistricts in Birkenhead RD at this time.
The GRO index has a more precise date.
There's a description of Cheshires subdistricts at:
http://www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/subdists.php

Here's their marr entry:
Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1926
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
WILLIAMS Edward ROURKE Catherine Birkenhead, Civil Marriage Wirral BW/136/25

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 May 2013 10:35

David

Use freebmd to find info yourself....................................you'll find it much more rewarding

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

When Mary married your father, what surname did she use?

What was her father's name............from the marriage cert?