Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sweetland, married then adopted, Alan son of wife

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 9 Jun 2013 20:45

Hello,
I really hope that someone out there knows an Alan Sweetland who would have had another surname at birth.He lived with his mother and stepfather in Woodgreen Essex and delivered chocolates/sweets to Lyons' in 1958/59. I think he moved to Cockfosters probably in the early 60's. Also liked scrambling.
I have my fingers crossed as this is a missing link in my life!
Thank you!
Kim

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 Jun 2013 21:28

Hello, Kim -
Welcome to the boards.

I don't understand your subject line.

Do you think Alan is still alive? Are you trying to make contact with him?
If so, you would be better to post your query on the "Find Living Relatives" board.

Or do you think he's deceased, and you are trying to find out about his origins and original surname?

If the latter, and if you think he may now be deceased, can you tell us roughly when he would have been born? Do you know if he was born in the Woodgreen area?
You mention "his mother and stepfather". Do you mean his adoptive mother or his birth mother?
Any information could be helpful.

patchem

patchem Report 9 Jun 2013 21:40

There is a possible marriage for Alan in Harlow in 1961 - is that likely?

Added:
He does appear to have 2 surnames and no birth under Sweetland.

Possible birth in 1937 - is that about the correct age?

And showing on 192.com.

What is your connection to him?

Thank-you

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 10 Jun 2013 13:31

As Kim is a new poster, I'll send a friendly message re how to return to this thread. :-)

Kim

Kim Report 10 Jun 2013 14:02

Thank you for reading and responding. I am looking for my father and only know that in 1959 my mother knew him as Alan Sweetland. He was living with his mother and stepfather at the time so could have been given his stepfathers name in earlier years.. As I don't know his mothers forename or maiden name all tracing I've done trying to work back has so far led nowhere.
He would have been born around 1937/8
Thank you for your help!
Kim

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jun 2013 14:12

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1326113

patchem

patchem Report 10 Jun 2013 17:42

Possible birth and marriage information sent by pm.