Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Piper/?Eales marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bloomhills

Bloomhills Report 5 Jul 2013 19:06

My great-grandfather, John Piper, (born Marlborough, Wilts in 1818 and the son of a master plumber) married a woman called Mary Eales/Eeles/Ellis c. 1848-51. Mary was born in Limerick, Ireland in 1827. She was aged 24 in the 1851 census, when they were in St Giles, London, where they feature with their eldest child, Alice. There are many John Pipers, but I cannot find the marriage of the one I want, this one. They had a second child here, Charles Frederick Leon and then went to France, possibly Paris, where, I surmise, Mary probably died at the birth of their second son, Emile. John Piper subsequently remarried and had more children in Lyons, France. But it's that first marriage I would like to find.
Does anyone know about Mary's family?

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2013 19:09

?

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921 about John Piper
Name: John Piper
Spouse Name: Mary Ann Iles
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 13 Oct 1852
Parish: Southwark St Saviour
Borough: Southwark
Father Name: John Piper
Spouse Father Name: John Iles
Register Type: Parish Register

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Jul 2013 19:17

Strangely this baptism shows residence as Lyons

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about Charles Cathbert Leon Piper
Name: Charles Cathbert Leon Piper ( cuthbert)
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 31 Dec 1854
Father's Name: John Piper
Mother's Name: Maria Piper
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Pancras
Borough: Camden
Register Type: Parish Registers

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Jul 2013 20:17

Hello Bloomhills, welcome to the boards by the way!

Is this the 1851 you refer to?

PIPER, John Head Married M 36 1815 Draper's Shopman Marlborough, Wiltshire
PIPER, Mary Wife Married F 28 1823 Limerick, Ireland
PIPER, Alice Daughter F 0 (5 MOS) 1851 St Pancras, Middlesex

Piece: 1494 Folio: 749 Page: 21
Registration District: Saint Pancras
Civil Parish: Saint Pancras
Municipal Borough: Marylebone

Address: 25a, Tavislock Place, Saint Pancras, Marylebone County: Middlesex

The details on this don't quite tally with the info in your post.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Jul 2013 20:21

I'm not sure that the 1852 marriage posted is correct. The John Piper on that marriage is a servant and both he and his bride give Croydon as their residence.

Did you get Mary's maiden name from a birth certificate?

ADDED: I think this is the 1861 for the couple who married in 1852

PIPER, John Head Married M 29 1832 Coachman Private Ramsbury, Wiltshire
PIPER, Mary Ann Wife Married F 32 1829 Wardleworth, Surrey
PIPER, Charlotte Ann Daughter F 6 1855 Scholar Croydon, Surrey
PIPER, Elizabeth Daughter F 4 1857 Scholar Croydon, Surrey
PIPER, William John Son M 2 1859 Croydon, Surrey
PIPER, Ellen Daughter F 0 (2M) 1861 Croydon, Surrey

Piece: 449 Folio: 132 Page: 12
Registration District: Croydon
Civil Parish: Croydon

Address: Brickood Lodge, Addiscombe Road, Croydon County: Surrey

Bloomhills

Bloomhills Report 5 Jul 2013 20:35

Sorry I put Charles Frederick when it was Cuthbert. His younger brother was Emile Fleuri Frederick. I get the feeling that Mary would have liked to have been Maria, but probably wasn't. John took Alice back to Marlborough to be baptised, but the marriage mentioned by Rambling Rose is not, I think, theirs. John's father was not John and his occupation is given as brewer, I think, which he wasn't. He was a master plumber. Also they had Alice in late 1850/early 1851 and had no reason not to have been married before she was born and that marriage is dated 1852. I know illegitimacy was rife (well, it certainly was in my family!) but I think Alice was born in wedlock.
I had missed the baptism of CCLP and John Piper's residence as being Lyons. Thank you for that.

Bloomhills

Bloomhills Report 5 Jul 2013 21:06

The 1851 is them. The children clinch it. No one could have an Alice and a Charles Cuthbert Leon and I know those 2 are correct. It's the marriage that has escaped me for many years. The rest of the children were born in Lyons and some, not all, were registered with the Consulate there. Mary/Maria's death I can't find, but John P married Sarah Twentyman in 1863 and had 4 more children with her, including my grand-father Maurice Cuthbert Piper.