Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Gosling

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Sep 2013 01:50

I'm looking at a family tree for a friend. On his tree George Gosling's birth is given as 21 Sep 1720 in Membury, Devon. He apparently married Joan Elliott in 1751. The only birth reference I can find for George Gosling born in 1720 is a baptism (in familysearch) for 21 Sep 1720 in Membury but his death is given as 27 Nov 1720 (parents John & Elizabeth). It looks as if the birth on my friend's tree is wrong. I have found baptisms for children of George & Joan dating from 1757 to 1776.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Yvonne

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Sep 2013 08:31

Advise your friend to check his facts............staring with why he thinks that George was born in 1720

Where did the marriage take place?

Is your friend assuming that George was born in the location in which he married?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Sep 2013 08:34

Name: George Gosling
Event Type: Marriage
Event Date: 1751
Event Place: Devon
Spouse's Name: Joan Elliott
Source Reference:
Digital Folder Number: 004634292

Alemap

Alemap Report 12 Sep 2013 08:50

The marriage took place at St Andrew's, Plymouth on 3rd May 1751.
The entry states the names - no other details.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 12 Sep 2013 09:01

Membury is on the border with Somerset...................a heck of a long way from Plymouth

Alemap

Alemap Report 12 Sep 2013 09:37

Children all baptised in Ermington which is close to Plymouth.

Two deaths for George Gosling in Ermington

1. 4 Apr 1792 died and buried same day.
Next entry is Judith Gosling died 4 May buried 5 May

2. 29 Apr 1812 died and buried same day.

Joan Gosling died 25 Oct 1816 aged 88

P.S. All information from parish records not transcripts

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 12 Sep 2013 16:19

My friend's tree was done by another family member who I think might be deceased. I was trying to verify some facts before trying to go further back. It looks like I might have to look into it more carefully. It does indeed look as though the George Gosling on this tree is the wrong one. I picked on this one to check because I had my doubts ... this George was born in 1720 but the line I'm following gave his son as born in 1770 making George 50. I'm thinking I'll have to start a bit later and check backwards, just in case.

Thanks for your help.
Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 24 Sep 2013 23:34

I'm still having doubts about the George Gosling on my friend's tree. On my friend's tree George Gosling is shown as being born in 1720 in Membury. If that George did marry Joan Elliot in 1851 then that would make him 31 when he married and that's unusual for back then. I took on board what Reggie said about Membury being a long way from Plymouth and looked for other births but I haven't found any. I did find a couple of deaths, one in 1797 and one in 1812, but no details were given other than they were in Devon.. Any suggestions how I could find details or if I can find details.

Thanks
Yvonne

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Sep 2013 04:12

Have you looked for an earlier marriage for George Gosling??

Marrying Joan at age 31 would not be unusual if he had been previously married at least once

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 25 Sep 2013 15:04

I thought about that but he and Joan had 10 children I think so he'd be getting on a bit when he had the later ones if he was born 1720.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Nov 2013 16:25

I have been told by a FHC that the Mormans were not allowed to have all the Devon parish records. Because of this I contacted a library in Devon to see if they could help but unfortunately they haven't replied. I also checked with a researcher in the UK who thinks I am probably correct regarding George Gosling and would check the parish records ... for a fee. Does anyone have any suggestions of what else I might try?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2013 16:32

You need to contact Devon Records Office...........not a library

Libraries don't hold Parish Registers

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Nov 2013 16:34

Thanks Reggie, will do. I contacted the library at the researcher's suggestion.