Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obituary to George REES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victor

Victor Report 13 Sep 2013 15:56

I would be most grateful for advice or help in finding any obituary to George Rees, Principal Officer of Customs, who died c. 20th September 1904, aged 85, at Poplar House, New Road, Porthcawl, Glamorganshire.

George was born in Angle, Pembrokeshire, in 1818, and served as a customs officer in Milford Haven before moving to Newton Nottage, near Porthcawl around 1873.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kind regards
Victor

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Sep 2013 15:59

Contact the local newspaper - ask if they have an archive section.

Failing that, the County Records office should have fiche records of old newspapers

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Sep 2013 16:28

There might be something in Bridgend library.
The staff there have given me great help in the past with family history searching.

Gwyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Sep 2013 16:56

No mention of him in the available newspaper records on FMP

Victor

Victor Report 13 Sep 2013 17:59

Thank you very much for this advice, Reggie and Gwyn in Kent. I will certainly follow up on your suggestions once I find the appropriate addresses.

Kind regards
Victor

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Sep 2013 23:42

Hello Victor, it's always advisable to add a request for further information to an existing thread, rather than start a new one (use the "My Threads" link to get back to the original).

http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1329501

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Sep 2013 08:38

So, you are actually looking for his grave....................

Found by googling.................

Newton Nottage, Porthcawl
The Parish of Newton Nottage, Porthcawl is a seaside parish on the West Coast of Wales

Below are the details of churches within this parish.

All Saints
St Davids
St Johns

Victor

Victor Report 14 Sep 2013 19:06

Thank you MarieCeleste and Reggie.

I tried to keep these subjects separate, though they are, of course, related. I was wondering whether any HM customs documents on George Rees exist outside the area of Porthcawl.

Many thanks for your interest and help.

Regards
Victor