Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

confusing births

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 15 Sep 2013 00:42

i have a relative who married in 1945 and had 4 children all registered in her husbands name.
she left her husband and lived with someone else and i have found all the 4 children now registered in his surname .
how can that be that there are two registrations for these children with different surnames

Carter

Carter Report 15 Sep 2013 00:46

the registration details ie page and volume are the same for both surnames

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2013 01:47

It wasn't unusual

If the woman was married the children would have to be registered in her married name then if the real father took responsibility they would be registered in his name as well....but there would only be one cert

Carter

Carter Report 15 Sep 2013 02:00

thanks jax for your reply. i think this must have been the case. if i send off for a cert which one will i get as they both have the same vol and page number.
sorry if i dont reply but its 2am and i am off to bed i have work in the morning but will check back later in the day
thanks

jax

jax Report 15 Sep 2013 02:36

As I said there will only be one so both names will be on the cert I guess

Here is someone asking the same question on a different forum

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/forum/topic6757.html

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Sep 2013 08:57

Linked

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1331506