Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BENJAMIN CHARLES TERRELL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacki

Jacki Report 17 Sep 2013 20:57

hi there
just wondering if anyone can help to unravel this mystery..

The man mentioned below is my granpa and he has us confused.

: Benjamin C Terrell
Birth Date: abt 1899
Bermondsey.london (surrey)

last seen on sons birth certificate in 1925 living at 3Raine street st George in the east(never heard of it) city of London,
, is there anyone who would be able to see when he left, and if he left alone and travelled, to kensington in London, to nothampton, or is found there in 1935Living at 15 Melville st, NORTHAMPTON , as I have a death cert and there is information I would like to pursue, but need clarification that this is indeed the same man.

thank you

jacki b :-S

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:05

Does the approx birth year on death cert match that which you have given

Who was the informant on the cert

Who did he marry and when ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:08

Name: Benjamin Charles Terrell
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 11 Dec 1901
Father's Name: George Terrell
Mother's Name: Laura Terrell
Parish or Poor Law Union: Bermondsey St Luke
Borough: Southwark
Register Type: Parish Registers

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:09

Need to check the image

Name: Benjamin Charles Terrell
Year: 1935
County or Borough: Kensington and Chelsea
Ward or Division/Constituency: Kensington
Street Address: 30 Tkkverton Street - image is Treverton St

Listed with Ellen Terrell

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:22

Just for info

Name: Benjamin C Terrell
Date of Registration: Dec 1963
Age at Death: 64
Registration District: Northampton
Inferred County: Northamptonshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 574

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:32

Looking at your thread on Victoria Miller do I take it that Benjamin married Ellen Miller (Millar) in Scotland ?

Penny

Penny Report 17 Sep 2013 21:38

where has his birth info/year come from? I cant see his birth registration

Jacki

Jacki Report 17 Sep 2013 21:45

phew!!

gosh you guys are too quick for me tonight . hehehe
ok yep they are all related

yes he did marry her when she was expecitn our ma.

yes that the death cert I have an it says son O'***. I may have to email privately as im thinking this other person may still be living.

cheers

jacki b :-P

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 21:50

Births Dec 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terreli Benjamin Charles St. Olave 1d 260

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2013 22:13

Connected

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1331646

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2013 22:50

In case you need it

Name: George Terrell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Laura Terrell
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Collinge
Where born: Bermondsey, London, England

Civil Parish: Bermondsey
Ecclesiastical parish: St James
County/Island: London

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration District: St Olave Southwark
Sub-registration District: Bermondsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 32
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Schedule Number: 3
Piece: 392
Folio: 77
Page Number: 1
Household Members: Name Age
George Terrell 28
Laura Terrell 25
George W Terrell 5
Dorothy M Terrell 1
Elizabeth Collinge 38
Maud Collinge 18
Florence Collinge 14
Lily Collinge 12
Sydney Collinge 3

Class: RG13; Piece: 392; Folio: 77; Page: 1.

The Collinge family are on the next household schedule

1911 mother remarried
Name: Dorothy Terrell
Age in 1911: 11
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Bermondsey
Civil Parish: Bermondsey
County/Island: London
Street Address: 62 Vienna Road
Registration District: St Olave (Bermondsey)
Registration District Number: 24
Sub-registration District: Bermondsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 38/1
Piece: 1906
Household Members: Name Age
Walter Crocker 36
Laura Crocker 36
George Terrell 15
Dorothy Terrell 11
Benjamin Terrell 9
Phylis Terrell 7
Minnie Crocker 2

Penny

Penny Report 18 Sep 2013 08:33

message me the name of the son that registered his death

Jacki

Jacki Report 19 Sep 2013 16:40

hi everyone,

I wanted to give an update on my Benjamin and such
I spoke with the records officer today and she says there is no father mentioned on the said birth cert of a father . gave mothers name but gives no address at the time..

so now im wondering if the death cert I have is for the correct Benjamin Charles Terrell?

OMG!! please don't say im gna have to start all ova again..
oh no!! :-(

Jacki

Jacki Report 9 Oct 2013 13:41

I realy don't want to waste anyones time , but am stuck on a death of the said man Benjamin Charles Terrell.
is this the only B.C.Terrell?

Name: Benjamin C Terrell
Date of Registration: Dec 1963
Age at Death: 64
Registration District: Northampton
Inferred County: Northamptonshire
Volume: 3b
Page: 574

something strange is going on here. :-S

Jacki

Jacki Report 8 Nov 2013 09:05

hi there
can anyone tell me please if this is the only record shown for
Benjamin Charles Terrell? (death)

is there another one else where in the uk? reasons being ihave the death cert and it doesn't give fasthers name but gives Nellie as mother n our gran was also called Nellie, but the surname is given as O'neill?

Don't no where to go next to prove this is our man and son.

thank you
jacki b

Elaine

Elaine Report 3 Jun 2014 22:48

Jacki,

I think you have the death certificate of my paternal grandfather. My father's name is Benjamin (Benny) O'Neill, his parents were never married. His father was definitley a Benjamin (Ben) Terrell, born in Bermondsey, he had an Irish Father and a Spanish mother; well according to my dad, whose memory is not great. He died aged 63 in Northampton, whilst living at my parents house (15 Melville Street). My dad's s mother was Nellie O'Neill, born in County Mayo, but moved to London as small child; this might be the Nellie you were talking of.
Ben, at some point moved to Stepney, and I know he joined the army in World War I, underage, as he wanted 3 square meals a day. He then went on to serve in India, were he caught malaria; which returned in his final days.
Ben had a family, prior to getting together with Nellie, this was with a lady called "Betty Crocker"; is she related to the Crockers in Bermondsey? The split was not a happy one, and as far as I'm aware Ben and his subsequent children were banned from seeing the younger children of the first family. However, the two eldest sons came to visit, until they lost their lives in WWII. I can only remember the name of the eldest he was Eugene, who died in the D-Day landings; dad is not sure which parent's surname he went under.
Ben was apparently a colourful character, he liked his drink and had been known to run out money for the Sally Army Hostel, he also managed to run a pie-shop that he lost in the blitz.
My dad was born in 1936, although Ben was not recorded as the father on the birth certificate. They family moved around a bit, dad was evacuated to Northampton, then Hinkley. At some point he came back to London, then the whole family (Ben, Nellie, Benny, his brothers John and Leslie) ended up moving around the east midlands. At some point they ended up in London, but separated. Nellie and John lived in Elephant and Castle, Ben lived in Stepney, Benny and Leslie bounced between the two and ended up in Barnardos. There was also a sister, dad never said her name, who died at the age of two, when my dad was five; they both had diptheria, she never returned home.
The family's recording of life events was a bit shady, this might explain some confusion with Nellie. For example, my parents marriage certificate has father as "Benjamin O'Neill", but "Benjamin Terrell" as a witness. My uncle Les has "Benjamin O'Neill" as the father, though we know they were just trying to cover up his illegitimacy.
In about 1946 Ben & Benny moved to Northampton. Firstly in the town centre, and then in a small village called Spratton. They were lucky enough to be given a new council there, 55 Sandhills. Les joined them, when he was 11, as Barnardos would not release him into his dad's custody, until that age. As far as I'm aware my dad and Les only saw Nellie a couple of times after that, it wasn't a happy relationship, she died in her early 60s, but I have no details.
Ben lived in Spratton until March 1962, when he moved himself into my parents marital home, whilst they were away on honeymoon. Fortunately, my mum was prepared to cook him his cockney favourites, such as pigs-trotters and pour him the odd beer. I do have some pictures of Ben, he's on my parents wedding photos and I have a worn one with his work colleagues (he worked as a decorator for many years).
Les died in 2002, at which point I had the only was the only contact I had with John since I was two.
I hope that this is the information you are after, and would be even happier to find out if we're related.
.Elaine

:-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jun 2014 22:59

Hello Elaine, welcome to the boards - what a wonderful story.

Just in case Jacki isn't checking back for replies (it's been quite some months since the last post) the quickest way to contact her would be to click on her name to send a direct message.