Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kelly

kelly Report 6 Mar 2014 14:23

Does anybody know ..... if somebody was adopted on their new birth certificate under mothers maiden nsme would it show the adoptive mothers maiden name or birth mother??

Andrew

Andrew Report 6 Mar 2014 14:59

The original birth cert will show birth mothers details. A 'short' birth cert will be issued when the adoption process is complete shows new name and place and date of birth only.

Andy

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Mar 2014 15:08

And do not assume that all 'short' birth certificates are issued for adopted children

I only had a short certificate for over 40 years, until I started this family history lark.

When I was born my parents could only afford the short certificate at the time, so that was all I had. Funnily enough my dads mum too only ever had the short one.

And I was not adopted nor was my gran :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 15:39

Connected perhaps?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1338151

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Mar 2014 15:40

They dont get a new Birth certificate but an adoption certificate showing their new names and their adoptive parents names

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 15:43

Also connected

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1327957

kelly

kelly Report 6 Mar 2014 16:09

I have my Nan's original birth certificate and 2nd birth certificate from after she was adopted.

kelly

kelly Report 6 Mar 2014 16:10

I also have an adoption certificate

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Mar 2014 16:37

So what is your point?

You have ALL of the possible info..................

Lee50

Lee50 Report 6 Mar 2014 20:18

Hi Kelly.
Original birth certificate shows birth mothers maiden name, post adoption birth certificates don't usually show any details of the mother, as others have said on here they are usually 'short' certificates.

Adoption certificates don't usually show anything other than the child's new name and details of the adoption, i.e date. place etc

I assume you are trying to ascertain the name of either the birth or adoptive mother?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 7 Mar 2014 00:16

You have the info so why ask the question?

An adoption certificate does NOT give the maiden name of the adoptive mother

An adoption certificate is NOT a birth certificate

The information contained on an adoption certificate is as follows -

1,The name of the adopted person, the date and location of their
birth and the sex of the child

2,The name, address and occupation of the adopter(s)

3, The date of the adoption order plus description of the court who
made the order

4, Signature of the officer at GRO deputed by the Registrar General to
attest the entry

The adoption certificate replaces the original birth certificate for legal and administrative purposes,

If you have the details of your original birth then you can order a copy of that birth certificate from the GRO

Roy