Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Italian/American Ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 13 Oct 2014 17:42

Hi, I have been researching my Italian Ancestor Francis Discipline for a few years now. initially I didn't know his Italian name but different sides of the family mostly agree that it must have been Francesco Disciplino. There are two ideas of where he originated from one is just outside Napoli and the other is just outside Palermo in Sicily. Several members of the family have been trying as well as myself but been unsuccessful. I have, however over time, found several records for Francis Disciplines son, Antonio travelling back and forth to America to visit His Aunt (Francis's sister) on New York Passenger Lists. i have this week recently noticed that on a detainee record (arrival 4th Oct 1926 - ss Andania) a name and address and before it it looks like FR Sis, which I believe is Father's Sister. the address is 202 Main Street, Madison, New Jersey. I have traced the man(Salvatore Perretta through directories and Census's with a view to finding his wife which I believe maybe Francis's sister. I thought if I could trace her back to Italy I could then confirm the original Italian name and the village where the family came from. It looks as if his wife was Josephine and when I have found him arriving in New York he was already married with Guiseppa (Josephine?).I have tried to trace a marriage for him and Guiseppa hoping I could get her maiden name and where she was born. I wondered if there was anyone who could help, who may have experience in tracing Italian records and who may have more success than I have . I have even tried the Ancestry Italia to see if anything comes up and then I could pay for individual records, but again nothingI! I would be most grateful as it it feels as if we have been trying for so long and this last search( marriage in Italy may hold the key to everything). Thank you.

Jan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Oct 2014 17:50

when was Francis born?

Janice

Janice Report 13 Oct 2014 20:19

hi We think Francis was born abt 1877 in Italy.

Janice

Janice Report 13 Oct 2014 20:32

Hi, sorry I forgot to add that on Francis ' s marriage certificate to Elizabeth Green in this country he put his father's name down as Francis (Francesco) also, we believe his middle name was Guiseppe. (Francis, not his father's midldle name necessarily) regards jan

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Oct 2014 21:08

Is this Salvatore and Josephine? What was the ship that they immigrated on please.

1930 United States Federal Census about Salvatore Perretto
Name: Salvatore Perretto
[Salvatore Perretta]
Birth Year: abt 1882
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Madison, Morris, New Jersey
Map of Home: View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1904
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine Perretto
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:

View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Salvatore Perretto 48 carpenter
Josephine Perretto 48
Jennie Perretto 14 niece

alviegal

alviegal Report 13 Oct 2014 21:22

This one is a carpenter. Can't see a wife with him though.

PERRETTA, SALVATORE
On The SICILIA
ARRIVED

LAST PLACE OF RESIDENCE

SAVIANO

Janice

Janice Report 13 Oct 2014 23:55

Hi yes, I think the 1930 census you have here is correct. The detainee record for Antonio Discipline/o shows 202 Main Street , but it looks like they lived at a couple of different house in that street. For the life of me I cannot find the record I have found of Salvatore and Guiseppee together on a list. I have looked under numerous sites but I remember it said they were both married and they were 22 and could both speak italian . will keep looking, I know it's somewhere. I have Salvatore down as being on the Sicilia 18th May 1905 but as you say I cannot see Josephine but I know I have somewhere. Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. Jan

Janice

Janice Report 14 Oct 2014 00:32

Hi I think I may have found her again. I think they may have travelled between Italy and America a few times. On 14th Sept 1905 Mc Giuseppa Diseiplina ( misspelt from actual form which looks like Disciplino/a travelling and fair paid by her husband Salvatore Perretta. last Residence in Italy Saviano. This must be her. Salvatore Peretta is the name on my great Uncles detainee record and her name is Disciplino/a. I still need to try and find her birth record in Italy and then hopefully my G Grandads Francesco Disciplino as well. Thanks again. Jan

alviegal

alviegal Report 14 Oct 2014 11:06

Hi Janice
Yes this does appear to be her. I was on the Ellis Island site hoping that more information would be on that but there is no more.

FIRST NAME
Ma. Guiseppa
LAST NAME
Disciplina
Marital Status
Married
Age at Arrival
29y
Ethnicity
N/A
Last Place of Residence
Sabrano