Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daniel Stiff b 1709.. d 1813 ( Drinkstone,)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 10:29

It's a couple of years since I gave up trying to find this relative's father - has anyone been able to go back further. Would appreciate any info.

D. Steff.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Nov 2014 10:34

Would that be Hawick, Scottish Borders?

Have you tried familysearch and Scotlandspeople? They may have uploaded new records since you last looked

How sure are you about those dates? He'd have been 104 when he died!!!

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 10:39

Yes, he was 104 when he died, with 2 or 3 wives and 26 children !!
The family Stiff all lived in Suffolk.

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Gee

Gee Report 9 Nov 2014 10:41

This one?

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name:Daniel Stiff

Baptism Date:9 Mar 1709

Baptism Place:Putney,London,England

Father:
John Stiff

Mother:
Sarah

FHL Film Number:908518

England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

Name:Daniel Stiff

Birth Date:1709

Burial Date:13 Jan 1813

Burial Place:Norton St. Andrew, Suffolk, England

FHL Film Number:951459

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 10:57

Gins

Thank you so much - I cannot believe everything ties up , but he was baptised in Putney ! ! He and all his family seemed so entrenched in Suffolk. but it gives me another route to go down - if I ever make it. I am 84 and am just getting back into researching. Our family name changed to Steff sometime , probably due to bit of celebrating.

Thank you again. D oreen Steff

Gritty

Gritty Report 9 Nov 2014 11:18

Possible brother:

Name: John Stiff
Christening Date: 29 Jun 1707
Christening Place: PUTNEY,LONDON,ENGLAND
Father's Name: John Stiff
Mother's Name: Sarah
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: P01749-1 , System Origin: England-ODM , GS Film number: 908518

Possible death at 106!

Bury and Norwich Post - Wednesday 17 February 1813
We are assured that John Stiff, carrier to this place (whose death was noticed in our last paper) was in the 106th year of his age, and has left behind him children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to the number of 247. He had by his first wife 22, and by his second wife 17 children, and was able to attend Bury market regularly till the latter end of last year.

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 11:48

Gritty.

Thank you so much for your info. they do seem like brothers, what ages they made. In the past other people and I have concentrated on the Suffolk area and could never tie anything up. But the London lead would explain why. I must now get back back into researching.
Doreen Steff. PS My husband is 96. on;y gave up badminton 18 months ago, because he couldn't keep up with the 60 year olds. So the age thing lingers on.

Gee

Gee Report 9 Nov 2014 12:00

Hi Doreen

I'm just wondering if this is the father as there doesn't appear to be any more births for John & Sarah after Daniel

First name(s)John

Last name Stiff

Denomination Anglican

Birth year
-

Burial year1709

Burial date17 Oct 1709

ParishPutney, St Mary

CountySurrey

SourceSouth London Burials Index 1545-1905

Record setGreater London Burial Index

CategoryBirth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Record collectionDeaths & burials

Collections fromGreat Britain

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 12:42

Hi Gins.
It does get complicated..I've found a John Stiff and Sar ( could be Sara) King being married in Stowmarket in 1692.
Gritty has come up with a John b 1707 who could be Daniel's brother. I always thought Stiff was an unusual name. Not so.
Many thanks for your interest, I am just getting used to researching again.
Many thanks for all your help. Doreen

Gee

Gee Report 9 Nov 2014 12:45

There is also another possible marriage for John Stiff & Sarah Smith, 1706, London

Tricky! :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 9 Nov 2014 13:36

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SUFFOLK/2004-12/1102814823

(Burial January 23rd. 1813. Page 1 Entry 1
Daniel STIFF. of Norton age 104
The Rector William CLARKE then added. Daniel STIFF was thrice married and was followed to the grave by about 150 Relatives or Descendants)

https://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk/sons_and_daughters/Daniel_Stiff.pdf

(above relating to him, from google search)

Chris :)

Doreen

Doreen Report 9 Nov 2014 13:51

Thank you so much Chris, my husband comes from this Daniel Stiff. These Stiffs had so many children and nearly all survived - we think a brother John had 37 children by 2 wives and lived til 106. Must be the Suffolk air.

Regards, Doreen

Glenys

Glenys Report 7 Dec 2016 13:43

I to am researching my mums family tree, she was Miriam stiff whom I think also comes from Daniel stiff 1709 her father was Charles Edward stiff lived in Lancashire .
Would love to find out more
Thanks Glenys Blay x

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2016 13:55

Glenys., you could try contacting Doreen directly. Click on her name and you can send her a message. If she still has the same email address, GR will advise her of the message.

If you want help on here, it might be better to start your own thread, giving all the info you have, going back from Miriam.