Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hornby

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2014 23:31

Could someone with better eyes than me have a look at the 1901 UK Census for Susan Hornby age 48 born in Nottingham, with children Thomas (24), Walter (16), Maud (13) and Albert (11), all born in Alford. I'm trying to read the occupations of Walter and Maud - Walter is .... maker and Maud is .... & servant.

Thanks.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Dec 2014 23:42

Maud is Domestic Servant

In 1911 Walter is a Basket maker and that could be the same as 1901.

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2014 23:44

Thanks rootgatherer ... pretty obvious now but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 5 Dec 2014 23:45

Yes, it is an unusual "D"

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2014 23:47

Just looking again, could Walter be a basket maker?

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 5 Dec 2014 23:49

The second part of your reply re Maud didn't come up until just now so ignore my last question. Thanks rootgatherer.