Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible Romany Connection

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Feb 2016 00:58

Hi, I'm a Lee descendant with little knowledge. I have asked in various places over the past few years but so far no one has been able to find my relatives. I have my great grandfathers marriage cert that says he was born in Newcastle NSW Australia, came to NZ and married in 1882. There is no record of him in Australia or his parents except for when his wife filed a missing person report in 1908 in NSW so that she could remarry here in NZ.
Henry Arthur LEE, b. 1856 in Newcastle NSW. ???
Parents - Henry Arthur LEE and Elizabeth LEE, maiden name ROSE
Married in Masterton NZ in 1882 to Anne Amelia Bohee
He deserted his wife sometime between 1895 and 1899 after the birth of his 5th son in 1895
I stumbled across the Romany History Society site that mentioned the names LEE and ROSE, also a Eunice LEE.
This made me think that maybe I have Romany connections as my grandfather named one of his daughters Eunice. I maybe clutching at straws but thought it possible my Great great grandfather may have been telling fibs about where he was born.
Just wondering if you have any information or know how I can find out more.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.??

Gee

Gee Report 4 Feb 2016 04:21

For info so helpers do not repeat what's already been researched

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/trying_to_find/lee/thread/452065?page=0

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Feb 2016 05:15

Thanks Gins :). Just to add that I don't need information coming forward from the marriage in 1882. I also have the Bohee, Rand and Hazell lines sorted.

It's Henry Arthur's birth about 1856, his parents information and how or when he came to NZ that I would dearly love to find otherwise the Lee line ends with him :-D

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 4 Feb 2016 06:05

Where did you find below notice?...(apologies if mentioned somewhere before)

Chris :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=722633.0

Do you need the full text of that police notice?

In a nutshell, Henry Arthur LEE (otherwise LEAHY), 54 years old, native of Newcastle, LH tattooed on his forearm, labourer and fish hawker, addicted to drink, inquiry at the instance of his wife Annie LEE, Weraroa, Leoin, Wellington, NZ.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Feb 2016 07:18

It was in a police gazette for NSW Australia dated June 1909. It is on ancestry. Of course the info about him came from Annie his wife and would have been what she knew, not of course if his birth place was correct. On his marriage cert it definitely says his birthplace was Newcastle NSW. I really doubt this now. Maybe the person writing up the marriage only knew of Newcastle NSW Australia and not that there was one in the UK !!!!!