Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Porchester Nursing Home Mapperley Nottingham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerry

Gerry Report 13 Feb 2016 15:43

My friend was born in the above nursing home in 1940. As she was adopted within weeks of her birth she is keen to know about her roots.

Does anyone know about the nursing home and what happened to it?

Any local info would be much appreciated

Gerry :-)

Dea

Dea Report 13 Feb 2016 16:38

Does she have her adoption file for her birth details?

Dea x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Feb 2016 17:03

Have you tried Googling for the home?

you might have to scroll through several pages, but there does seem to be some information out there

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Feb 2016 19:11

Up until the mid 1940s it was at,,,,,

10 Sandford Road Mapperley.then till late 1950 when it was on the market as a private sale late 1950 at,35 Robinson Road Mapperley.as it was war time and then babies were mainly born at home as very few hospitals had maturnity wings or wards,unless one could afford a private room,,babies born at homes such as the Porchester were probally used in view of this and lack of facilities at home..also it was a haven for privacy for unmarried women.there was no NHS till 1948.by which time most had a maturnity ward and better welfare.
The birth mum might be found on the 1939 register taken just before the out break of WW2.credits apply to see the full details,but a free name search may help pin point a location,especially if an age is known and help further if living with family members.

Gerry

Gerry Report 14 Feb 2016 01:20

Thanks Kay. Very interesting about the home..

I have checked the 1939 register but nothing I am afraid.

Gerry

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Feb 2016 20:31

Has a marriage for the said person been looked for,,,,,remember this lady could still be alive and have family history searching off-spring so anything such as names posted on here can be picked up on google

The 1939 register can be address searched,if a home address appears on the original birth certificate the surname could match..

Gerry

Gerry Report 15 Feb 2016 13:40

Yes Kay it has and I am waiting for the certificate. I also tried the address search on 1939 with no luck.

Strangely, I did not think to put the name on.

My friend's birth mother was Constance Allsop or Allsopp

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Feb 2016 14:45

Connected thread so info is not duplicated by helpers

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1358075