Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abraham Smith 1816-1851

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 01:13

Hello helpful Members,
You have helped me several times before and as I am a standard member only I cannot access the details of the above death. I was hoping one of you could get some details for me.

Abraham Smith was my 3 x great grandfather. I have found a death on Genes for AS for 1st quarter 1851. It must have been before the census because his wife Rebecca Sarah is noted as a widow on that census. I was hoping to find out his parents' names or would that involve sending for the DS?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jill

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 01:17

Sorry I meant to say the death was in Marylebone.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2016 03:28

it usually means buying the death certificate ...... what you see on GR, FMP, ancestry, or the free site Freebmd (which is what most of us use :-) ), is the INDEX to bmds

Sometimes you get lucky, and find that the death has also been registered locally and then you may be able to see more information

Remember ..... if ever you do buy certificates, buy them ONLY from GRO (General Register Office). Each certificate costs £9.25 including post and handling, even to overseas :-)

Every other site that offers you the chance to buy a certificate through them, actually buys from GRO, and then charges you much more.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

You ahve to register on the site, but it is free to do so.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2016 03:37

just to help us get our heads around the family (I know you have this!!) ..... is this Rebecca in 1851?

1851 Census

Name: Rebecca S Smith
Estimated birth year: abt 1812
Relation: Head
Where born: Marylebone, Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: Westminster St Margaret
Ecclesiastical parish: St Margaret
County/Island: Middlesex

Registration district: Westminster
Sub-registration district: St Margaret
ED, institution, or vessel: 03c

Household schedule number: 139
Piece: 1480
Folio: 67
Page Number: 37

Rebecca S Smith 39 Widow, Charwoman
Mary Smith 13 b.ca 1838, Peckham, Surrey
George Smith 11 b.ca 1840, Walworth, Surrey

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2016 03:55

Actually, I've just realised what you're really asking .............

English and Welsh death certificates did NOT show parents name unless if was for a small child when either mother or father's name could be shown.

You have to go back to try to find Abraham and Rebecca's marriage, if possible, and even then it is not certain that parents' names will on there if they married before July 1 1837 when civil registration began.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jun 2016 03:57

Have you any idea where Abraham came from? I see Rebecca says she was born in London.

Have you any idea when they married, and what was their religion?

I've been looking around 1837/1838 as Mary appears to have been the first-born child in ca 1838.

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 05:19

Hi Sylvia,

Abraham and Rebecca were married 2/08/1835 at St Mary's, Lambeth, there is no image on Ancestry. They had 3 children - Maria Sarah (Mary) 1837, George Joseph 1840-1879 and Eleanor Mary 1842-1848. Abraham was a shoe/bootmaker as was my father. I have just been trying to get back a bit further in my family. All the children were christened in the workhouse chapel in Marylebone in 1844. I am guessing that Abraham might have died from Tb as it was so rife then.

Thanks,

Jill

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 05:38

Hi Sylvia,

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Yes you have the correct people for 1851 census.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jun 2016 06:07

Details of Marriage

2 Aug 1835, St Mary's, Lambeth
Groom: Abraham Smith, Bachelor
Bride: Rebecca Sarah Bradley Spinster
Witnesses: Thomas Newell & Maria Bradley

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 28 Jun 2016 06:23

1841 Census?

Abraham Smith 25 NOT born in County occ Shoemaker
Rebecca Smith 25 born in County
Maria 4 NOT born in County
George 1 NOT born in County

Address. Great Quebec Street, Salisbury Mews, Marylebone (looks like)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 28 Jun 2016 06:27

All London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980 (Ancestry)

Abraham Smith
abt 1803 23 Mar 1851 Saint Marylebone Westminster
(Abode, Little Welbeck Street. age 48)

Deaths Mar 1851 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------
SMITH Abraham Marylebone 1 149

(have I looked at this before?)

Chris :)

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/maps.jsp?map=green&map_item_id=3185&tagtype=2&mclass=f

(just to show 1841 address on Map, Great Quebec Street, with Salisbury Mews)

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 11:45

I was hoping just to confirm that this is the correct death so I will need to send for the death cert. Thanks everyone for your input.

Jill