Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching the Glasgow electoral registers.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 7 Oct 2016 14:55

Can someone tell me how to find a family on the Glasgow electoral registers without trawling through 100's of names.
In some cases I know the address and other cases the district.
when I put the district it still shows Glasgow.

Thank you

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Oct 2016 15:12

In some cases if you know the address, then 'Keyword' box, just put ros* and nothing else (if for example roseberry road etc.)

Mistranscriptions are rife, and searching by surname, you can use Exact/Soundex option.

Playing around is the way, lol, after all these years of using Ancestry!.

Chris :)

Edits (I take it this links to below, perhaps)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362433

1933 at 13 Carntyne Road...Kyle, Robert jun. (Sgt. R.A.F.)

Jean

Jean Report 7 Oct 2016 15:21

Thank you Chris,

I will give that a go.
Been on the Ancestry site all morning looking at the registers as they are free but I have given meself a headache, time for a cuppa and start again later,

regards

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2016 17:10

Actually, Robert Kyle Jr of 13 Carntyne Road, in 1933, is on the absent voters list, which of course doesn't show everyone who was at that address.

I've spent ages trying to get the full list of voters in Carntyne Road - and haven't figured out how to do it !

I managed to find it in 1932 - don't ask me how! - and there were 36 voters listed at that address, with a variety of surnames, some in family groups - clearly a tenement of flats, all using the same number.

Robert Kyle, with parents and two siblings, I assume, was there, and Mrs Elizabeth McLuskey was also at that address.

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Oct 2016 17:30

(below was there also, according to article, poor man!)

(better get you on the 'case' AG, lol) (just seen him, next to Elizabeth 1931)

22 May 1939 - Daily Record - Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Search For Dead Man's Relatives.
The Eastern Division of police in Glasgow are anxious to trace the relatives of William Muir (70), who was found lying dead in his home at 13 Carntyne Road, Glasgow. Muir, who lived alone, had not been seen by neighbours for two days, and when police officers forced an entrance they found him lying dead under the bed.
He is believed to be a native of Greenock.

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Oct 2016 17:44

As Elizabeth is down as M'Luskey...(searching using that, would that be George and Mary 1938 39, at Aikenhead Road Cathcart number 483)

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 7 Oct 2016 18:12

1940- 1951

14 Muir Street (Springburn Division)

George M'Luskey
Mrs Mary M'Luskey

In 1955 they're at 15 Muir Street & 1962 numbering back to 14 Muir Street.

Electoral register on Ancestry stop at 1962.I don't see any other M'cLuskey's at the the same address.

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Oct 2016 18:20

(so matches with below then!)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1361365?d=desc

Jean Report 17 Aug 2016 17:23

I think you are correct rootgatherer,

Just had a look at George's mother Elizabeth's death certificate which George was the informant and his address was Muir Street which I think is in the Parkhead district.

Jean

Jean Report 7 Oct 2016 21:03

Thank you all once again for all your help,
and thanks Austin for finding them in 1962, so now will have to decide which deaths on Scotlandspeople after 1962 to send off for, they now don't show birth years when searching for a death so here's hoping I choose the right one,

thanks again

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2016 21:25

Jean -

the free search results show the age at death.

And when you're searching, you can put in an age range, even if not an actual YOB .

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 8 Oct 2016 06:25

Was George born c1888? Thought this was the most likely death for him:

MCCLUSKEY GEORGE age 79 -death 1967 -644/2 695 -Glasgow

Jean

Jean Report 8 Oct 2016 11:59

Thanks to you both,

Only just realized about the age range thing, don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Austin,
I did look at that death a couple of times. it seems to be the only one that fits, I have been iffing and butting, as they say ,but you have talked me into it l will send off for the certificate.
I will blame you if it' s not him.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 8 Oct 2016 13:38

Ooh- please don't blame me!! :-D It was only a suggestion.

I don't know the age of Mary- do you have their marriage certificate for her age?

There are these (I know Mary still appears on the 1962 electoral register, but I have known names to still appear the following year):

MCCLUSKEY MARY age 74- death 1961- 644/4 267 Springburn

MCCLUSKEY MARY age 77- death 1962- 644/4 1236 Springburn

You can buy credits to view- but as I said, not sure of Mary's approx DOB.

Jean

Jean Report 8 Oct 2016 14:12

Just going through my records for George, according to the 1901 census he was born 1888, it shows his age as 13.
On both his marriages it shows he was born 1891,and his birth on Scotlandspeople shows 1891.

Mary was born 1892, her previous marriage was to a Sullivan, just going back to SP to see if i can find that marriage on the free searches.

Mary was born, according to her marriage to George , in 1892.

She married William Sullivan in Bridgeton in 1919, according to SP looks like he died 1932 in the Springburn district .