Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroner's Inquest

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 1 Mar 2017 11:12

Hi
My grandfather drowned in the river tyne in 1936 and his death cert. says an inquest was held over 2 days during the month of March. The coroner found it an accidental death. He served in the war and in the merchant navy.
I cannot find any report in the British n/paper archives.
I've come to a dead end trying to locate a copy of the report.
I cannot find a death notice either.
He lived in Gateshead at the time.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thank you.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Mar 2017 11:28

Inquests are not held at the time of a death,they can be held many months later. If a body wasnt recovered this can alter things aswell.

Susan

Susan Report 1 Mar 2017 12:13

Thank you for responding Kay. Fortunately my grandpa's date of death and the dates of the inquest are on his death certificate. The inquest should have been in the paper - he drowned in the River Tyne and there would have been a coroner's report but I do not know where to access. I have the corner's name.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 1 Mar 2017 13:19

Susan- you want to share his name?

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Mar 2017 13:24

Susan....Do you have name.?