Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mouseman

mouseman Report 9 Mar 2017 20:49

Please could some kindly person/s have a look at the 1939 register I am looking for

Edgar Grainger wife Evelyn Grainger and son Gerald Grainger This family were living in Fullwood,Sheffield. South Yorkshire in 1939 I do not know the address possibly ? moved to Leeds.Yorkshire. later that year.

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2017 21:04

Can't see them - do you have any dates of birth please?

Dea x

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 Mar 2017 21:30

43 Avenue Terrace, York

Evelyn (Eveline M) Grainger 16th August 1900.

(Hearn household)

Can't copy and paste as on my Kindle!

Dea

Dea Report 9 Mar 2017 21:34

Marriages Jun 1921 (>99%)
Grainger Edgar Large Leeds 9b 687 Scan available - click to view
Large Eveline M Grainger Leeds 9b 687 Scan available - click to view

Name: Gerald D Grainger
Mother's Maiden Surname: Large
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1928
Registration district: Leeds
Inferred County: Yorkshire
Volume Number: 9b
Page Number: 529

This looks like the couple on 1939 although Edgar is down as Edward and there is no Gerald with them ??

Hearn Household (5 People) 43 Avenue Terrace , York C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Evelyn (Eveline M) Grainger 16 Aug 1900 Unpaid Domestic Dutie ****
Florence M Hearn 08 May 1888 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Geoffrey Vickers 06 Nov 1915 Mader Window Cleaner
Ena V Slughter (Harwood) 09 Feb 1916 General Domestic Worker
Edward Grainger 18 Jul 1897 Civil Servant ****

Dea x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Mar 2017 21:36

They married in 1921 so a chance any children may not show in 1939.

Choccy

Choccy Report 9 Mar 2017 21:37

Birth

Gerald D Grainger 1928 (Large) Leeds Sept quarter. 9b 529

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Mar 2017 09:56

He isn't a closed record on the 1939 register .cant see him as being evacuated because of where they lived . Ie London and se kiddies were evacuiad north

Maybe when they listed they didn't think he had to be listed because of his age

mouseman

mouseman Report 10 Mar 2017 19:01

Hello All.
Edgar Grainger born in Harold Street, Leeds.Yorkshire 18th.July. 1897
Married Evelyn Mary Large in Leeds , June 1921 Evelyn born 16 th. August 1896 Evelyn died September 1983 in Harrogate.
1 son born 28-05-1928 in Leeds Yorkshire.
I don't think the York family is my Grainger family re..43 Avenue. Terrace, York ?
All I know is ? that this family moved from Leeds, to employment, for Edgar to Sheffield, ( Fulwood ) Possibly 1937/ 8 Prior to this, the family lived in Leeds, Possibly Burnly . !939 Evelyn and son returned to leeds, son was evacuated to Burly in Wharfedale Yorkshire. Edgar possibly moved to London, i.e. work but at a later date did visit son in Wharfedale possibly 1939/40 I have not been able to trace Edgar from this date. I have searched for Edgar in a former thread, I can't find a death.
Many thanks to you all, for your time spent on my behalf. I still live in hopes, of finding Edgar,

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Mar 2017 20:16

Mouseman.

The 1939 above is the only matching Grainger for Edgar as posted by Dea.an using the name **Edward**,,,,,,,he is listed as a Civil Servant.,perhaps Edward was prefered to Edgar.?

Evelyn was infact,

Eveline M Large.as matches the above post of the 1939 register.

mouseman

mouseman Report 10 Mar 2017 21:01

Thank you Kay.

It's such a hard journey. on reflection ? perhaps the York register is correct. The birth date for Evelyn isn't correct Evelyn was born 16th August 1896 ( not 1900 as stated ) Gerald was evacuated from Leeds within a few days, of returning from Sheffield ,which would explain, why he isn't on the register. Edgar was a civil servant. so thats correct.The address that Gerald returned to, on leaving Sheffield was 10 Newport View Headingley. Leeds. Yorkshire, which was the home, of Evelyn's parents. Frederick and Sarah Large.
Thank you all again. any help, gratefully received.
M

mouseman

mouseman Report 10 Mar 2017 21:30

Hello again, all....

I wonder ? if someone could look on the register again for me.

Thinking over, when Evelyn and Gerald returned to Leeds from Sheffield in 1939
The address they moved to was 10 Newport View, Headingley, Leeds. Yorkshire. which was the home of Evelyn's parents. Frederick and Sarah Large. Gerald was evacuated from this address, re..St.Michael school, headingley. Leeds.

Thank you again for all help given.

M

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 10 Mar 2017 21:47

Mouseman,

Why did you not use your original thread from 2012 rather than have people repeat information?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1289647
http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1302798

Cinders :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 Mar 2017 22:53

that thread was all of 5 years ago !!.

Mouseman,

These are the only people at the address.Evelines parents.no closed records for someone born after 1915.

Large Household (2 People)
10 Newport View , Leeds C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England.

Start free family tree View original imagePrint
FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB OCCUPATION
Frederick Large 01 Mar 1865 Retired
Sarah Large 20 Jan 1864 Unpaid D Duties.

Have you concidered this as a second marriage.?

EDGAR
Last name GRAINGER
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1946
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ EDGAR GRAINGER married
Lucy Flaherty
Spouse's last name Flaherty
District Pontefract
District number -
County Yorkshire
Country England
Volume 2C
Page 1484
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2008
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from Great Britain

mouseman

mouseman Report 11 Mar 2017 11:45

Tracey.

I am sorry if I have done all the wrong things.....I did not mean to offend anyone.
I read about the 1939 register and wondered if it would show where Edgar was, living at this time....as we have been unable to trace him, from this date and no death recorded. All Gerald could remember, is returning from Sheffield, to his grandparents, with mum, and the school which he was to return to in 1939 was closing the following day, and he was to be evacuated. SO York address was a great surprise.
SO sorry once more, and another great thank you to all my helpers in the past. M

mouseman

mouseman Report 11 Mar 2017 20:11

Kay Thank you so much for your support....

I had considered a second marriage, but couldn't find anything to support such ?
I am not too savvy re.." the computer" I do remember in my former search for Edgar
the 1911 census gave a family of Grainger's in Pontefract but it wasn't my Grainger's
Thank you, for looking at the Large household re..1939 and seeing that Evelyn was not listed. I now accept that the York register as correct. Gerald was evacuated, within 2/3 days of the return from Sheffield, which explains, why he wasn't listed.
I don't seem to be able to bring up this marriage between Edgar and Lucy, as already explained, not too good with computers. but will send for the marriage certificate. Thank you once again, for all help given, it would give closure, to a son,
who has spent all his life wondering, WHY.....M