Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Doris Ragnall 18 May 1915

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 19:16

Hello everyone,

Got another minor anomaly i can't fathom..... Please see the image link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39uaod772uauomv/Screen%20Shot%202017-03-14%20at%2019.08.32.png?dl=0

Doris was born Ragnall, Married William Pilkington (my tree interest) in 1938 and then it appears she married a Wilfred Mitchell in 1953.

Trying to decipher all the additional writing and the date written. I always understood to be a subsequent marriage, however this doesn't appear to be the case?

Need assistance to brainstorm the answers as i'm running out of guesses!! :-(

Muchos Thanks in advance :-)

Cinders :-D

Andrew

Andrew Report 14 Mar 2017 19:26

Surname First name(s) Mother/Spouse District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1953 (>99%)

MITCHELL Wilfred RAGNALL Darwen 10c 335
MITCHELL Wilfred PILKINGTON Darwen 10c 335
PILKINGTON Doris MITCHELL Darwen 10c 335
RAGNALL Doris MITCHELL Darwen 10c 335

Maybe the confusion is because both her maiden name and first married name appear on the record.

Andy

Dea

Dea Report 14 Mar 2017 19:38

Did she perhaps divorce Mr. Pilkington (around 1947) and then become known under her maiden name and therefore gave both when she married Mr Mitchell ??

Dea x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 19:38

Hi Andrew,

As stated above, i have all of that.

I need to try and decipher the additional notes....

Thank for your input

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 19:42

Dea,

I had considered this, and did wonder if this was indeed the case, i might have to take that thought a little more seriously than i have previously.....

His Nephew never knew he was married and he certainly died alone (leaving said Nephew everything).

As you're an old head (lol) William is the Brother-in-Law of my missing Annie Liggins, the Harlot of Lancashire... and the biggest thorn in my side! :-|

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Mar 2017 19:44

What happened to William Pilkington? Did they divorce and Doris went back back to using Ragnall for a period? The Ragnall is written in blue ink as is a date of 26.7.47 along with the NR230 N2H so I imagine the code for the change? The date is I think usually when the update happened as opposed to the date of the event.

The name Mitchell is written in a green grey colour as is the other writing in the left hand column. Here you might read 5.5.53 - possibly the update date for her second marriage with associated NHS codes of CR or CB 283 and LA

The GRO index has her marriage to Wilfred Mitchell under both surnames - maybe officially still Pilkington but currently known as Ragnall.

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 19:51

Yeah,

I'm warming to this notion now.

There is another thread on my Pilkington's. Their mother was... well... i can't be nice about her, she was bloody awful to her children.

A bigamist, a gold digger, an abandoner....

William died in 1959 as a direct result of the complications from the malnutrition he suffered as a young boy abandoned on the streets with his brother by their mother when their father died. She wasn't married to their father (but said she was) married another man some years but was still married to husband No1 (George Death) William found himself as said young age in his paternal Grandfather mill, working his fingers to the bone and kept in the local workhouse (loving families eh??)

It's a long and very messy story.

I can image that William was not the easiest of people to live with... and the whole sorry affair pulls my heart everytime i revisit it.

I just want to make sure i cover all bases as they appear.... one day i will find Annie!!! :-S

Dea

Dea Report 14 Mar 2017 19:51

Lancashire Evening Post 29 April 1947

DECREES NISI AT PRESTON COURT.

Doris Pilkington of Stanford Place, Clitheroe: desertion
by her husband. William Pilkington against whom costs
were awarded.

Dea x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 19:57

I bloody well love you!!!

Wow there's a turn up....

So I understand that to be she filed against him, he left her ? :-(

Thank you!!

Dea

Dea Report 14 Mar 2017 20:00

No Tracey - 'she' got the decree nisi because 'he' abandoned 'her'.

It is strangely worded about the costs being awarded but they were awarded 'against' him which I believe would mean that 'he' had to pay them ??

Dea x

Did you just re-word the above post Tracy or did I get confused as to what you were asking ? :-S ;-)

Anyway yes - she divorced him !!!

Dea x

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 14 Mar 2017 20:07

Yeah, i got myself confused, i got my she's and he's mixed up.... you're not going mad lol

Well, the saga just goes on and on..... Misery everywhere.

I still want to get near to Annie, was hoping to try and trace Doris, but it doesn't look like she and Wilfred had any children that i can see.... :-(

Thank you for your help Dea, Greyghost & Andrew. Very much appreciate the time taken to read my post.

Now if you fancy a bigger challenge.... http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1301425

PS: still haven't found her... or her son in 1939 !! :-0 .... i shall add another post to find them in 1939.

Dea

Dea Report 14 Mar 2017 21:53

I have been looking into your other thread but it is too complicated for this time in the evening - will look again tomorrow ;-)

Dea x

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Mar 2017 22:43

You presumably have this - http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1938
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
PILKINGTON William RAGNALL Doris Clitheroe, Trinity Methodist Preston A2/3/87

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1953
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
MITCHELL Wilfrid PILKINGTON Doris Darwen Register Office or Registrar Attended Blackburn D/24/13
MITCHELL Wilfrid RAGNALL Doris Darwen Register Office or Registrar Attended Blackburn D/24/13

Lancashire Birth indexes for the years: 1915
Surname Forename(s) Mother's Maiden Name Sub-District Registers At Reference
RAGNALL Doris CLARKE Clitheroe Preston CL/54/66