Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

grandfather

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

catherine

catherine Report 23 Mar 2017 23:17

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help. My grandfather came to this country from Poland after WW2. From what I can gather through family chat he stayed somewhere in Oxford before going to Wales. Is there anyway that anyone knows how I may be able to trace him. I have tried the National Archives but they cannot find any trace of him being naturalised but he worked in Wales so I assume he would have had to be naturalised to do this (late 1940's onwards). I have found a number of camps that housed Polish POW's and Polish families fleeing Poland during the late 1940's up to the 1960's. My grandfather must have been in Wales for a little bit of time prior to 1950 when he married my grandmother. I know they had camps and hostels for single men, just have no clue where to start. Thanks in advance

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 23 Mar 2017 23:39

You need to give us his name and date of birth, also any information on his marriage, etc.

patchem

patchem Report 23 Mar 2017 23:54

If you have already tried the National Archives, what did they suggest to you?

Just for information on what they can do, etc:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/immigrants/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Mar 2017 06:52

He didn't have to be naturalised to work in Wales

Lots of Polish prisoners of war were in camps in the uk and would work in nearby farms etc

Many decided to stay when the war ended as they had met local girls. Or felt they had nothing to return to and would make a life here

I had german grand parents who came here in the late 1800,s and worked but never took naturalisation