Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost trying to find Parents of Stephen Curtis

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

David

David Report 8 Jun 2017 10:01

Hi everyone hopefully one you can help me out with this,
Stephen Curtis (b)1761....(D)1824 married Ann Hicks(b) 1763...(D) (1822) at Bruton Somerset on 3rd Dec 1792 found on Somerset records and Pallots marriage index .The church records says both of this parish but I cannot find him anywhere,I have found Ann's parents . ,Stephen &Ann had 5 children before they got married, found these in the Baptism book at Bruton and 11 more after,as far as I know they stayed in the Bruton,Batcombe,Pitcombe,Cole area in Somerset all the time .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jun 2017 10:51

of this parish just means he was resident there at the time

have you tried Family Search site

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jun 2017 10:58

quite a lot on ancestry from the marriage onward s but nothing for him pre marriage

his death
Name: Stephen Curtis
Birth Year: abt 1761
Burial Date: 7 Mar 1824
Burial Place: Bruton, Somerset, England
Parish as it Appears: Bruton
Search Photos: Search for 'Bruton' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Phillimore Ecclesiastical Parish Map:

David

David Report 8 Jun 2017 10:59

I have tried most sites Ancestry,Search Query etc but no luck many thanks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jun 2017 20:40

how accurate is his birth year?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jun 2017 20:43

Have you searched FreeReg?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jun 2017 20:48

Was their first child named Thomas??

How does West Chinnock fit with Bruton?? Not, of course, forgetting that people moved around mroe than you would think!

I'm just intrigued by the father's name .... a naming pattern was often followed.

This is from FreeReg

County Somerset
Place (link for place information) West Chinnock
Church name St Mary
Register type Parish Register
Baptism date 22 Oct 1752
Person forename Stephen
Person sex M
Father forename Thomas
Father surname CURTIS
Mother forename Mary
Witness
Witness
Register note
Transcriber notes

David

David Report 9 Jun 2017 09:00

SylviainCanada As the crow flys West Chinnock is about 12 miles from Bruton so not impossible to walk ,as for the birth date I am only going by census and marriage certs for that , Stephen and John are very strong in the Family names and I have also noticed that birth dates and Baptism dates can be spread out ,,First child was called John and another one later on Stephen was also named again later on.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Jun 2017 19:39

so do you think the West Chinnock baptism could be him?????

David

David Report 10 Jun 2017 07:57

Do not think this is it, the date seems to far out and I know that we have to allow a few years for mistakes so I will keep on looking many thanks