Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed finding grave in Marbe;;a?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eunice

Eunice Report 26 May 2022 10:15

My husband's aunt's brother was a Jacques Desiree Henri, born in Mauritius 2/10/1927 and died in Marbella , Spain 6/6/1993. Could anyone locate where he would be buried please? We are hoping to be in the area later this year and if so would visit the grave. Sadly there are no surviving members over here to assist.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 May 2022 10:34

You could try here:-

Cemetery San Bernabé
Cemetery
Marbella, Spain · +34 952 78 46 42
Open · Closes 1:30PM
email:- [email protected]

They will probably speak English.

I don't think you will find anything online.

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 May 2022 10:52

There are several cemeteries in the Marbella area - Google "Marbella cemeteries".
You might need to contact each of them.

The same goes for Mauritius. Could he have been returned there to be buried with family members?

Was Marbella his long-term home at the time of his death?

Is this him in Newcastle 1949-53? With Florence Ines , Marie Julie, and Marie C Y.

Jacques Desire Henri
in the Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Electoral Registers, 1741-1974
Name: Jacques Desire Henri
Residence Year: 1952
Residence Place: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Register: Register of Electors

If that's the right man, could he have been brought back for burial with family in England?
Marie Julie Ines Henri (possibly his mother ??) died in Durham reg district in 1985 - though of course she may have been buried elsewhere:

Marie Julie I Henri
in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Marie Julie I Henri
Death Age: 89
Birth Date: 13 May 1896
Registration Date: Sep 1985
Registration District: Durham Northern
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 1
Page: 1172

Marie C Y Henri married in Newcastle in 1955, was still on ER there in 2004, and died there in 2013:

LAVAL, MARIE CECILE Y 1923
GRO Reference: DOR Q2/2013 in NORTH TYNESIDE (054-1A) Entry Number 508612609

She's not necessarily buried in Newcastle either.

For Newcastle cemetery records:

Bereavement Services, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH;
or email: [email protected].
A search fee may be charged.

But I agree with Kath - there's unlikely to be a burial record online - unless any of the cemeteries has an online list of graves.

Eunice

Eunice Report 26 May 2022 12:37

Thank you all so much! <3

Eunice

Eunice Report 26 May 2022 22:38

Sorry I had to dash out - another funeral to attend sadly - but yes, some of the family lived in Newcastle and Marie Decile Yolands was Jacues sister as well! After leaving Mauritius he lived in South Africa but moved to Marbella after retirement. Thank you for the cemetery email info, we will be contacting them Thanks again for all help and suggestions offered. Eunice .