Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Needle in haystack - Armthorpe 1970's pub landlord

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 6 Jul 2022 14:08

Hi, trying to find a pub landlord in Armthorpe in 1970's, specifically 1972/73. Only have first name - Derek. Only other information is that he was likely in his 40's, possibly 50's and that he had 4 children. Thanks!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2022 14:36

Welcome to Genes and the boards.

If you are looking for the father of a child you need to tread very carefully.

Look into the history of the pub, and, assuming he lived over the pub he would/ should be on the electoral roll.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jul 2022 14:37

Try contacting the Licenced Victuallers Association for the area (Doncaster I presume).

If you don't have the name of the pub it might be more difficult but electoral registers for any pubs in the area might help. These are kept at the main reference library for the area and are searchable by address.

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Jul 2022 15:12

Newspapers might help.

Laura

Laura Report 7 Jul 2022 08:29

Thanks both. Yes we are looking for a father of a child. We know the father to be dead now and are not looking to make any contact, just to understand a bit more.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jul 2022 09:40

How do you know he has died?

Can your source give you more information?
Do you know when or where?

Laura

Laura Report 7 Jul 2022 10:29

Unfortunately not, the birth mother is not willing to give out any other information. That said, the father could still be alive but it is a very slim chance. The daughter isn't interested in connecting with any potential relatives, she's just looking to understand who her father was/is.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Jul 2022 12:19

I’m not sure I understand - is she just looking for his full name or about his life?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jul 2022 13:07

Hopefully, your post on the Armthorpe Community Facebook page will bring some result.

I'm not sure there's anything the helpers here on GR can find online without more info.