Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone help smash my brickwall

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Arthur

Arthur Report 19 Aug 2022 16:48

My Brick Wall, I have spent over 4 years dredging through various records and archives trying to find any information regarding the first 48 years of my 3x G Grandfathers life. My DNA results have not yielded any links beyond his sons James & Thomas, 3rd son Charles never married.

So; Alexander Milne – Who exactly are you?

Alexander Milne (1786 - 1860) is the ultimate brick wall for me. Many of the Milne family trees who claim him as a family member, have him as the son of Alexander Milne & Isabel Brown but do not agree on which couple. An Alex & Isobel are listed as having a son Alex in Huntly 1780.
A second Alex & Isabel in Forfar are also credited as being his parents, although no baptism record can be found to prove it.
At his death in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1860 the age given on the death certificate, 73 years would rule out him being the Huntly Alexander.

What I do know:

FACT SOURCE

Alexander Milne born Abt. 1786 1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew

Place of Birth Forfar 1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew

Occupation Shoemaker [1841 English Census , Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas
1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew]

Marriage 3 Oct 1834 [England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973 Newcastle upon Tyne, All Saints
Durham & Northumberland parish & census records]

Spouse Mary Ann Owens As above
born abt 1802

CHILDREN
James, 1830 in Edinburgh [1841 English Census , Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas
Presumed illigitemate 1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew]

Thomas 1834 in Edinburgh [1841 English Census , Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas
Presumed illigitemate 1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew
Baptised 1836 with brother Charles]

Charles 1836 Newcastle [1841 English Census , Newcastle upon Tyne St Nicholas
1851 English Census, Newcastle upon Tyne St Andrew
England & Wales Christening records, 1836 Durham & Northumberland parish & census records ]

Death 5 Aug 1860 Newcastle England and Wales free BDM Death index 1837-1915 and a copy of Death Certificate obtained.

The Forfar Militia were posted in Newcastle around 1826, could this be when he met Mary Ann. A visit to Angus Archives (pre Covid lockdown) yeilded an entry “ roll book 10/2/2 Alexander Milne, shoemaker in Kirriemuir whose age was about right.
The traditional Scots naming system would indicate that Alexanders father was called James, as that is the name of eldest son. Why is there no son named Alexander?
Alexander and Mary had 3 children all boys, James born abt 1830, Thomas abt 1833 (both in Edinburgh) and Charles 1836 (baptised 1 Jul 1836) Newcastle upon Tyne

Did Alex have a family before taking up with Mary Ann Owens, when he was in his 40`s. Without a reference point or location of his birth any possible first marriage is pure speculation.

Any help gratefully accepted.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Aug 2022 17:27

You have ‘presumed’ the sons born before 1834 to be illegitimate - could they not have been the products of an earlier marriage for Alexander?

Census records only give the relationship to the head of the household. No way of knowing if his wife is their mother until you find proof

Have you looked for/found baptisms for them?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2022 17:59

Welcome to the boards, Arthur.

There are no baptisms on Scotlands People for James or Thomas - as I expect you've found.
Nor on FamilySearch.

It doesn't mean they were illegitimate. Maybe they weren't baptised, or maybe the records just haven't survived.

???
Alexr. Milne
in the Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
Name: Alexr. Milne
Baptism Date: 3 Dec 1786
Baptism Place: Kirriemuir,Angus,Scotland
Father: Alexr. Milne

No mother's name given.

Kirriemuir is only 7 miles from the town of Forfar.

But perhaps Alexander's birthplace as stated on the census means Forfarshire, which includes Kirriemuir.
Angus was known as Forfarshire until 1928.

Age stated at death is only as accurate as the information the informant has.

However, his age at death, and in 1841 and 1851 censuses, all indicate birth c1787.

1841 says he was born in Northumberland. 1851 says "Farfor".

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 19 Aug 2022 18:25

As you say Thomas and Charles were baptized together on 1 July 1836 at All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne. On Thomas' entry it states born 19 Sep 1833. Image on FMP.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Aug 2022 18:30

Ah, I hadn't noticed about the 1836 baptism.

However, as birth certs didn't exist at that time, there is no other record of the births of either of them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2022 10:32

MILNE, ALEXANDER 73
GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE Volume 10B Page 34

If death age is accurate, born latter part of 1786 at the earliest

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2022 10:44

Suggestion ONLY.......may already have been checked and discounted by poster. No doubt he will enlighten us....................

Name: Alexander Milne
Birth Date: 24 Dec 1786
Baptism Date: 24 Dec 1786
Baptism Place: Brechin,Angus,Scotland
Father: David Milne
Mother: Betty Sievwright

Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
Report a problem
Detail Source
Name: David Milne
Birth Date: 25 Dec 1788
Baptism Date: 28 Dec 1788
Baptism Place: Brechin,Angus,Scotland
Father: David Milne
Mother: Betty Sievwright

Discharge Age: 30
Birth Date: abt 1788
Birth Place: Forfar Forfar
Discharge Date: 17 Nov 1818
Discharge Place: Dublin, Leinster, Ireland
Regiment: Ninety Second Regiment of Infantry

Marriage Date: 28 Dec 1782
Marriage Place: Farnell, Angus, Scotland
Spouse: Elizabeth Sievwright

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Aug 2022 10:54

The child born in Kirriemuir

MILNE
ALEXANDER
ALEXR. MILNE/
M
03/12/1786
299/
10 305
Kirriemuir

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 20 Aug 2022 16:40

This is Familysearches transcript of the above baptism which gives a little bit more info

Name Alexr. Milne
Sex Male
Christening Date 3 Dec 1786
Christening Place Kirriemuir, Forfarshire, Scotland
Christening Place (Original) Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
Birth Date 12
Father's Name Alexr. Milne
Father's Sex Male
Event Type Christening

Now the following is a death announcement in the Perthshire Courier, 13 Jun 1839, I'm posting it because it mentions Alexander Milne and Kerriemuir....it may be relevant but thereagain may not!

At Knowhead of Menmuir, on the 30th ult, aged eighty one years, Mrs Jean Duncan relict of the late Alexander Miln (sic), formerly farmer of Ladywell near Kirriemuir

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Aug 2022 20:05

In case relevant - following LB's post above:

Jean's baptism?

DUNCAN
JEAN
ROBT. DUNCAN/
F
03/06/1759
309/
10 59
Menmuir

Married women in Scotland were often (usually) referred to by their maiden surname in official records.
Until fairly recently, in legal documents married women were referred to as "(married surname) or (maiden surname)"

However, I don't see her marriage to Alexander- nor her death either (only her burial) , for that matter, in spite of the newspaper notice.

The Alexander born 1876 is Kirriemuir, is unlikely to be the husband of Jean Duncan - unless her toy-boy.

???
Alexander Miln
in the UK and Ireland, Find a Grave Index, 1300s-Current
Name: Alexander Miln
Death Date: Nov 1831
Cemetery: Menmuir Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Angus, Scotland
Gravesite Details
Miln, Alexander buried on: 31 November 1831 recorded at: Menmuir Churchyard (Angus)

Jean Duncan
Birth unknown
Death 1839
Burial
Menmuir Cemetery
Angus, Scotland
Gravesite Details
Duncan, Jean buried on : 30 May 1839 recorded at: Menmuir Churchyard (Angus)

There's this marriage, but unlikely to be the right couple, as it's near Dundee - about 18 miles from Kirriemuir, and approx 32 from Menmuir:

Alexr. Mylne
in the Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561-1910
Name: Alexr. Mylne
Marriage Date: 31 Mar 1786
Marriage Place: Mains and Strathmartine, Angus, Scotland
Spouse: Jean Duncan

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Aug 2022 11:50

I was thinking that Jean Duncan, the relict of Alexander Miln, were a possible for the parents of Alexander Milne born 1786 in Kirriemuir as the Familysearch transcript gave his Father as Alexander Milne :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Aug 2022 11:58

Oh yes, of course - I forgot - Alexander 1786 married Mary Ann Owens, or at least the one Arthur's looking for did.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 21 Aug 2022 12:11

Working on Arthur's assumption that the first named child, James, is named after his father Alexander's father ie James Milne there is this baptism

Name Alexander Milne
Sex Male
Christening Date 4 Sep 1788
Christening Place Menmuir, Angus, Scotland, United Kingdom
Christening Place (Original) Menmuir, Angus, Scotland
Birth Date 9
Father's Name James Milne
Father's Sex Male
Event Type Christening

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Aug 2022 14:19

It's a pity that's another baptism with no mother named.

Can't see any marriage for a James Milne in Menmuir or Kirriemuir before that, though lots in other places in Angus/Forfarshire..

Nor a feasible death in 1787-1860

Arthur

Arthur Report 21 Aug 2022 18:06

Many thank to everyone for the suggestions, facts and record lookups you have put forward.
I was afraid my original post would be too long winded so I cut it down, maybe by too much.
Let me add a few things. Between 1780 to 1790 there were 17 Alexander Milne baptisms, I have copies of them all. Son James may have been recorded in the militia records 1827-1831, unfortunately those records were destroyed in a fire. Thomas although born in 1833 was not baptised until 1836 in Newcastle. There are discrepancies in the 1841 & 1851 census. In the 1841 document both Alex & Mary have been shown as being locals with James & Thomas born in Scotland, Charles in Newcastle. The 1851 document puts the birth places correct. However in 1841 Mary has her age as 44 yrs which would indicate birth of 1797. In 1851 Mary has her age as 47 yrs only aged 3 years in 10, moving birth year to 1804.
Marriage Certificates for both James and Thomas only show them as "of age" and show Alexander as their father. So very little help there.
The possibility of a previous marriage has not been lost on me, but very difficult without a geographical origin or parents names. There was an Alexander Milne (shoemaker) and Spouse Margaret Patterson who had a son Alexander baptised in Forfar in 1810, but no luck in tracing them.

As stated before many including my half cousin in Australia, believed that Alex Milne & Isabel Brown were Alexanders parents. When my 2 sets of DNA test results became available I set about tracing all the descendants of the supposed siblings. I found two in the US both had DNA tests but there was no trace even at the lowest level of any match between us.

Hence a very large brick wall

Arthur

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2022 12:00

It is not that uncommon to have a late baptism.

Once you get to 3x great grandfathers you are getting to difficult cms numbers. Experts say that once you get to 4th cousins or around 25 cms then the results become unreliable.

Also, as no one receives the same amount of dna from parents you can’t always rely on that. My own brother and I do not always share the same matches that I do with a first cousin. Sometimes I share matches not with that cousin but with her daughter!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 13:45

Census birth years can be erroneous. What age was Mary when she died?

Name: Mary Ann Fraser
Estimated Birth Year: 1805
Relation: Wife
Where born: Gateshead, Durham, England
Civil parish: St Nicholas
Ecclesiastical parish: St Nicholas
Town: Newcastle upon Tyne
County/Island: Northumberland
Registration district: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Sub-registration district: St Nicholas
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 107
Piece: 5090
Folio: 53
Page number: 18
Household Members Age Relationship
James Fraser 86 Head, born Scotland
Mary Ann Fraser 66 Wife
Charles Milne 35 Stepson

???????????

Name: Mary Owen
Birth Date: 15 Aug 1802
Baptism Date: 28 Nov 1802
Baptism Place: Gateshead,Durham,England
Father: John Owen
Mother: Mary Shields

Arthur

Arthur Report 22 Aug 2022 18:47

ErikaH,

Yes that is Mary Ann in the 1871 census with her son Charles. Not sure when she took up with James Fraser, I presume after the death of husband Alexander in 1860
Have not yet found her date of death.
I have been using the 1802 birth/baptism as my default date and parentage for Mary Ann, however I am now looking at a 1796 baptism that would fit the age she gave in 1841 census
"14 Aug 1796 Mary Ann Owens, daughter of James Owens, baptized at Heworth".

Mary Ann and Charles vanish in 1861.
I have located James and Thomas in the 1861 census but neither Mary Ann or Charles are living in their households.
Still scouring 1861 using "Owens, Milne & Fraser" without much success. Workhouse records are very patchy
Arthur