Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Archie Elder

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2022 19:07

Hi,
I have Archie Elder whose birth was registered in Mar q 1898 Sculcoates Yorkshire in the 1901 and 1911 census. His parents were Samuel and Sarah Ann Elder (Robinson).

I couldn't find him in the 1921 census. Not having access to World records, a cousin checked to see what she could find. Initially departing from Hull, he travelled to New York, Oregan, Vacouver and Dunedin. The relevant years were 1919-1928. On 28th October 1924 he was fined for threatening behaviour. This info was from New Zealand Police Gazettes.

Unfortunately after that there doesn't appear to be any info on him. I can't find any record that shows he came back to the UK. His dad died on 4th January 1928 but there doesn't appear to be any record of him being back for the funeral. We've not been able to find a death for him.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help.

Thank you

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 20:04

He is on 1921 with Samuel, Sarah Ann and two others

I hope he isn’t included on your other Elder thread

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 20:10

There is a notice in the HULL newspaper in 1950 of a death in Tranquille BC on 3rd March. No age given

Mentions sisters, Minnie, Ivy & Zoe and says reunited with Arthur who died Wharncliffe Hospital 1948, also with father, mother and Cecilia

Fits with 1911 census

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 20:13

The name is recorded on absent voters lists 1922 to 1926 for Hull, said to be a Merchant Seaman
15 Reynoldson Street

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2022 20:24

ErikaH thank you so much. I don't know how I missed him on the 1921 census. I guess tired from searching and mis-reading it as Arthus his brother. My other Elder thread is an update. DNA has confirmed that Archie's dad is also my gt grandfathers dad. I'd been trying to prove it for a long time.

The newspaper entry isn't on FMP so can't see it.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 20:26

The newspaper article is on FMP, which is where I found it

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2022 20:35

EikaH which site did you see the newspaper notice please?

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Aug 2022 20:40

See my post at 20:26

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Aug 2022 20:46

The newspapers on FMP are from the British Newspaper Archives.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 22 Aug 2022 21:05

I'm going to have to give up tonight because I still haven't found it. Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks again

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Aug 2022 08:56

Simply input the name,NOTHING ELSE and scroll to page two

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 23 Aug 2022 09:11

Now found it. Last night I just searched through the newspapers using his name and ticking exact and couldn't find it. This morning I judt searched all records for Archie Elder and towards the bottom of the page was the newspaper report.
The transcription was rather misleading as it incorectly gave his date of death as the same date as the newspaper published date. It doesn't look like there was an obituary in a British Columbia newspaper my cousin hasn't found one.

Thanks again ErikaH