Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Immigration search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Jan 2023 16:11

William John Osborne was born in 1866 in Cheshunt. In 1881 he's with his parents in Hackney. I can't find him in 1891 but in 1901 and 1911 he's with his wife, Frances (sometimes Fanny) and their children in Shropshire.

The children were all born in Shropshire except the first one, Edith, where her birth is recorded as Halifax, Nova Scotia, in December 1890. I had my doubts about this (although her birthplace is recorded thus in subsequent censuses) until I found the record of William's and Frances's marriage on 23 October 1890 in Nova Scotia. She is Frances Brown and William's parents are shown as Isaac and Eliza Osborne which is correct. This was on FamilySearch.

To tie up the ends, I have been searching for an immigration record for William and Frances without any success. I don't know if they travelled together or singly. He must have left after 1881 and was back in Shropshire in 1901.

I'd be glad if someone could please take a peek for me. I've probably missed something very obvious which is what usually happens and then I'll feel very foolish.

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 20 Jan 2023 17:03

Not all records are online, as I’m sure you know, so you may not have ‘missed’ anything

Have you looked anywhere other than on familysearch?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Jan 2023 17:11

Isn't Anne asking for someone to double check for her?

I've looked on Ancestry and can't see it. They are on quite a few trees but I've not trawled through them to see if any one had found it.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2023 17:21

William John Osborne
 in the UK, British Army World War I Service Records, 1914-1920
Name: William John Osborne
Enlistment Age: 18
Birth Place: Che?? [ "Chesunt" on image ]
Military Date: 1885
Relationship to Soldier: Self (Head)
Regimental Number: 1239
Regiment Name: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment
Number of Images: 8
Form Title: Short Service Attestation
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
William John Osborne Self (Head)

In 1885 he joined the army for 12 years, then in 1897 signed on for another 4 years, in Shrewsbury.

In October 1891 he was in Barbados, involved in a Court of Enquiry.
He stated -
On 10th Sept 1891, while digging at the Naval Hospital during Military Training, I was accidentally struck on the hand with a pick. I immediately went to hospital and was admitted.

A surgeon repeated tat he'd been admitted to hospital in Barbados with a wound on the back of his left hand. He'd been discharged. The result of the wound was "some thickening of the bones" which wouldn't interfere with his ability as a soldier.

Also in his army record there's a request from the Chief Constable in Stafford on 2 Jan 1913, for a report on his army service and character "particularly as regards the period he served at Halifax, Nova Scotia."
He was on remand on a charge of "incest".

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Jan 2023 17:24

Yes, I've looked at Find My Past and Ancestry. I have looked through the trees but there's nothing there that I haven't found already. I have now found a military history sheet that puts a William John Osborne (father Isaac) in Halifax from 1888 to 1891. This is on the Ancestry hints.This person was in Bermuda from 1886 to 1888 which would fit in with my William. Still no sign of Frances at that time, though. Thanks for helping.

Annie

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Jan 2023 17:29

I didn't see that before I put the last bit on. Thanks for that.That certainly looks like our William and I do know he went to jail in Staffordshire for incest with his daughter. I found his mugshot from when he was convicted. Horrible business.

Annie

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2023 17:31

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
High Street, Newport, Shropshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
William J Osborne Head Married Male 35 1866 Gardener domestic Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, England
Fanny Osborne Wife Married Female 35 1866 - Newport, Shropshire, England
Edith Osborne Daughter - Female 11 1890 - Canada
William J Osborne Son - Male 4 1897 - Newport, Shropshire, England
Frances Osborne Daughter - Female 2 1899 - Newport, Shropshire, England
Alice Osborne Daughter - Female 0 1901 - Newport, Shropshire, England

-------------
William John's birth reg. to narrow down the time they could have travelled

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
OSBORNE, WILLIAM JOHN BROWN
GRO Reference: 1897 M Quarter in NEWPORT SALOP AND STAFFORD Volume 06A Page 766

A big gap from 1890 so perhaps this lad was theirs too -

Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
OSBORNE, WILLIAM WALTER BROWN
GRO Reference: 1894 S Quarter in NEWPORT SALOP AND STAFFORD Volume 06A Page 705

Name: Age at Death (in years):
OSBORNE, WILLIAM WALTER 1
GRO Reference: 1896 M Quarter in NEWPORT SALOP AND STAFFORD Volume 06A Page 539

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2023 17:47

It may be possible that if he travelled with family as part of an Army "shipment" that they won't be recorded on Civilian transport lists returning to UK.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2023 17:51

John isn't with Fanny and Edith in 1891 - because he was possibly still in Barbados.

Edith Osborne
in the 1891 England Census
Name: Edith Osborne
Relationship: Granddaughter
Birth Year: 1890
Birth Place: Canada
Civil parish: Newport
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Residence Place: Newport, Newport, Shropshire, England
Registration district: Newport
Sub registration district: Newport
ED, Institution or Vessel: 1
Neighbors:
Piece: 2134
Folio: 13
Household Members (Name) Age Relationship
John Brown 54 Head
Edith Brown 44 Wife
Fanny Brown 24 Daughter - [ Osborne on image ]
Amy Brown 28 Daughter
John Brown 20 Son
Joseph Brown 16 Son
William Brown 8 Son
Edith Osborne 4/12 Granddaughter

So Fanny and Edith must have travelled back between 3/12/1890 (Edith's DOB as stated in 1939 - if correct) and 5/4/1891.

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Jan 2023 17:54

Thanks everyone, that's narrowed it down a bit. I'm going through all this again. I found a newspaper report for William. He served seven years in Jail in Staffordshire.

Annie

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2023 18:00

This woman, who departed from Halifax, has a female infant (not named) with her:

Mrs Osborne
in the UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: Mrs Osborne
Port of Departure: Portland, Maine, United States and Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Arrival Date: 12 Mar 1891
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Stavanger; London; Southampton; Londonderry; Glasgow; Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Ship Name: Sarnia
Shipping Line: Dominion Line

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2023 18:07

Original of passenger list posted by AG shows they boarded in Halifax, Nova Scotia

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2023 18:41

???
This man was leaving from Halifax, although the ship's voyage started in Baltimore:

J Osborne
in the UK and Ireland, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
Name: J Osborne
Port of Departure: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Arrival Date: 29 Jul 1891
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England
Ports of Voyage: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada; St Johns; Newfoundland
Ship Name: Caspian
Shipping Line: Allan Line
Official Number: 63758

He's a soldier.

His name, and names of other soldiers on the list, have all been crossed out. One big pencilled cross covering several names, not scored out individually. (Though a few do have one pencil line through their entry.)

I don't know if that means they didn't travel, or is just a way of highlighting all the soldiers.

Some other passengers (not soldiers) have their names scored out individually in red ink - which will certainly mean they didn't travel.

Kuros

Kuros Report 20 Jan 2023 18:41

I looked at Frances, Francis and Fanny but I never thought of Mrs. Osborne. Thank you so much.

Annie