Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Addon Franklin.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bruce

Bruce Report 14 Jul 2023 20:39

On 10.2.1812. William Franklin was baptised at St Gabriel Church, Binbrook. His parents are given as Thomas and Addon.

I am unable to find anyone with the name Addon.

Aby suggestions please

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jul 2023 20:44

Is this from a transcription or have you seen the actual entry?

Bruce

Bruce Report 14 Jul 2023 20:55

It is listed on Family search. Also I have seen the actual register at the local library.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jul 2023 20:59

OK so it is not a mistranscription - unless the register was a Bishops Transcript. In which case it would be another copy.

Added: Google says it is a boys name ……….

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jul 2023 22:04

The image is on FMP and the mother’s name is definitely written ‘Addon’

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 14 Jul 2023 22:55

I would have suggested a version of Aidan, for a male - but have no idea for a female.
Maybe her parents were well ahead of their time, and called their daughter by a male or family name, as often happens nowadays!

An Adin/Addin/Adden Franklin was born in Gloucestershire in 1806 - but he was male.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jul 2023 08:35

Perhaps her parents were very religious ??

Google says the name Addon is Biblical, and means basis / foundation/ the Lord..

It's also the name of a Babylonian town, mentioned in the Bible, in Ezra and Nehemiah.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jul 2023 09:40

FMP has comprehensive coverage of Lincs PR’s but I can’t see any other reference to the name in any category

Nor does William appear to have had any siblings, unless they were baptised in a different parish.

Cannot see any likely marriage for the parents...........

William did not give any of his daughters a name even remotely resembling that of his mother

Bruce

Bruce Report 15 Jul 2023 19:50

Thank you for all your help and suggestions. For now it means further research.